file New Triton 1's- Some Questions

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 9 years 11 months ago
Steve: I just read a review by Glenn Young on the Yamaha RX-A1040. This particular paragraph bothered me.

There was also a slightly recessed sounding midrange, relative to the bass and treble...it may be an artifact of the DAC, but I'm unable to competently speculate on the cause - I only note it as a consistent comment on what I hear. Other equipment hasn't sounded this way in my room (except for one other component that used the same ESS Sabre DAC as the Yamaha). The recessed midrange wasn't audible to cause grief, but it was constant throughout my review with the Yamaha.

I think the Yamaha (particularly when used for 2-channel music) isn't going to give you the beautiful sound you're looking for...you can do better, and the T1's deserve better.

Check out Emotiva...I really think their amps and processors would solve your problems.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 11 months ago
Hi Steveo and all,
Well I am getting kinda lost here. Looks like we have come round sorta in a circle but ended up somewhere entirely different.
You started this thread Steveo by saying:
"Hi All
Took delivery of some triton 1s with 60c center and ss3 as surrounds. Great speakers.
One thing I have noticed as well as my friend who heard them with me is the highs are unbelievable the bass is excellent too but at least on my pair of ones the midrange on default setting sounds "recessed" so to speak. Kind of like it isn't keeping up with the bass or tweeters. This is on 2 channel music mostly so its not the center speaker or anything.
I was testing cds with it and definitely heard a lacking midrange. I have played around with my receiver and turned the treble setting all the way as far as I can (+6db for treble) and this seems to improve the sound a lot"

Then Bro Anthem reports:
"Steve: I just read a review by Glenn Young on the Yamaha RX-A1040. This particular paragraph bothered me.
There was also a slightly recessed sounding midrange, relative to the bass and treble...it may be an artifact of the DAC, but I'm unable to competently speculate on the cause - I only note it as a consistent comment on what I hear. Other equipment hasn't sounded this way in my room"

So it looks like we now have an idea about the midrange suckout.
BUT then when you set things the way you like to listen, you boosted the treble and bass, leaving the midrange down. You said boosting the treble improved the sound a lot.

I can understand that living in a unit, you probably have to play your system at lower volumes than you may like, than sound really good. Turning up the treble and bass is like what the old "Loudness" knob used to do for low level listening to compensate for human hearing lack of sensitivity at the extreme frequencies.
SO, unless I am missing something (which is HIGHLY LIKELY), there is nothing wrong with your Triton Ones, it is probably a mid-range suckout caused by your Yamaha. BUT to get the sound you like, you boosted the treble and bass (likely because you are listening at low levels).
IF I am understanding the above correctly, then you do NOT need amps IMHO, at this time anyway, as you said, it would only amplify the moderately good signal from the pre-amp/processor of the Yamaha. I would just enjoy your music now as it is, and then when you can get out of the unit, into a larger place, or place where you can turn up the volume, you can get a better pre-pro/amp combo.
I hope this helps.
Enjoy your tunes, God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• twinturbo11's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 87
twinturbo11 Posted 9 years 11 months ago
Steveo, the bottom line: Your Triton 1s are perfect. But all the reviews say that the Tritons benefit greatly from high quality gear. Your Yamaha amp is very average (I am not referring to how loud, but to how clean/good it is). On top of that, Bro Anthem was IMPRESSIVE in finding that your specific amp has a recessed midrange due to the DAC. Therefore, it will not be sufficient to get only an Emotiva amp to fix the situation, you would also have to get an Emotiva pre-amp because that's where the DAC is. Emotiva has 30-days cash back, try at home option - so you have nothing to lose. Alternatively, you can get another brand like NAD. Last choice, do nothing and enjoy what you have.
HTR7000 7.1.2 ATMOS setup
Marantz SR7011 Atmos Receiver
Nvidia Shield 4k Media Player
Sonos Connect
Sony PS4 Pro
Laser 4k Projector (soon)
Elite 150" motorized screen
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• Ewardjr69's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 51
Ewardjr69 Posted 9 years 11 months ago
I am running an Intergra 80.3 and Emotiva XPR2 for my Triton ones plenty of clean power for my set up.
(2) GoldenEar References, GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL, (4) GoldenEar HTR 7000, Dual Seaton Sumbersive HP (Master / Slave), Sony VPL 55es, Dalite 119 inch UTC, Darby Darblet, Oppo 103, Integra 80.3, Emotiva XPR 2, Emotiva XPA 5, Panamax 5102, Harmony Elite.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 11 months ago
Thanks Edwardjr69,
Do you have any suckout in the midrange? Have you experienced any problem like what is being reported?
Glad you are enjoying the tunes with your Triton Ones!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Glad to hear the "problem" went away with some setup tweaking. and if it sounds good now, just enjoy.

If you do want to upgrade something, I too would suggest a different front end (or processor and amp), but not just an amplifier upgrade because that does not appear to be where the issue lies. In my very first post I suggested turning off all tone settings (that would include any EQ too) and all other audio "enhancements" and auto setup stuff and take a listen. Nine out of ten times, that solves the problems. We haven't found anything of reasonable quality and modern that sounds "bad".
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers New Triton 1's- Some Questions