file New Triton 1's- Some Questions

• Ewardjr69's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 51
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Ewardjr69 Posted 9 years 10 months ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: Thanks Edwardjr69,
Do you have any suckout in the midrange? Have you experienced any problem like what is being reported?
Glad you are enjoying the tunes with your Triton Ones!
God Bless,
Wayne

Sorry Wane work has been crazy! I have had no such issues. They have been outstanding right out of the box.
(2) GoldenEar References, GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL, (4) GoldenEar HTR 7000, Dual Seaton Sumbersive HP (Master / Slave), Sony VPL 55es, Dalite 119 inch UTC, Darby Darblet, Oppo 103, Integra 80.3, Emotiva XPR 2, Emotiva XPA 5, Panamax 5102, Harmony Elite.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 10 months ago
Edwardjr69,
Thanks for the report, I understand about being busy. I was once too. ha ha, enjoying my new retirement.
Glad all is well with your Triton Ones, happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• Steveo's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 297
Steveo Posted 9 years 10 months ago
Speaking about being busy sorry all for the lack of responses.
Hi Wayne
To respond to your question I did try these speaks on "Through" mode quite loud over the weekend. I still prefer the sound I am getting with my custom EQ settings. To me the sound is not too bassy or trebley at all. The low end is powerful and full of impact and I have by sub set at -10db on the receiver and sitting around 10 oclock on the back and that in some songs if anything feels like too much (but I dont mind bass so it is ok but not at all boomy). The mids are no longer recessed but clearly pronounced and where they should be and sound very good now. The high end sparkles beautifully as well. Overrall the whole sound to my ears is now perfectly balanced.

The same friend who has a great ear who originally commented on the midrange suckout when I got them has heard them now and now says it sounds completely night and day and they are one of the best speakers he has ever heard. Keep in mind due to time restraints we were testing mp3 songs as well so thats big praise considering the source is less than ideal to put it mildly. I A/Bed the old settings he heard that I kept vs the new ones and it sounds completely different. I dont think it at all is due to the break-in because on the old settings the midrange suckout was still there.

I agree it still could be the Yamaha however the sound I have now is truly incredible. I just find it strange that even with "through mode" where in theory the receiver isnt processing anything it doesnt sound as good than it does with my manual eq settings. There is a potential the yamaha is still colouring them somehow on through mode but its against everything I understand about these by pass modes and the purpose for them.

Either way the sound I have on this mid level receiver is sound that I could live with very happily so I am sure there is nothing mechanically wrong with speakers as far as I can tell based on the sound itself. I would love to try another receiver to test to make sure of this but either way it is great exactly as it is. I would love to hear the sound I am hearing on another receiver in bypass mode. Either way if it sounds better with what I have now I am more than happy so I will keep it this way.

The only concern I have based on the feedback that at higher volumes I am worried the receiver wont have enough clean power to drive these properly at high volumes and I am concerned with speaker damage. (Let me know if I am being nuts here and if 110W per channel on my receiver is ok and shouldn't cause a concern. :)

Either way it is making me reconsider again to get the emotiva xpa 5s to power them because I would be happy with more headroom based off how good this sound so a power amp is back on the table again. Guys I am prepared to spend the money. Is it worth getting the XPR 5 with 400 watt per channel vs the xpa 5 at 200 watts per channel? Or based on the efficiency of the Triton 1s would the 400 watts be overkill and power I would never need because the xpa5s would be loud enough? I plan on powering all 5 channels so the L and R triton 1s with the 60c centre and SS3 surrounds thats why I want to go with the xpa 5 or xpr 5s

Based on an idea I got from another thread I have also taken delivery today of a pair of Subdude 2s in order to decouple these speakers from the floor so I dont get any complaints from our neighbours with the excessive sub frequencies especially for my downstairs neighbours. You might think I am crazy but I havent even put these tritons on the spikes yet so I am sure that will sound even better if I did that right there. I am trying the subdudes first to see the difference and then might put the spikes on as well on top of the subdudes.
Triton Ref Pair, Supercenter Ref, SS 3's surr
Digital-Nimitra Server>USPCB>Iso Regen>TX Ultra>chord mscaler>chord dave>deqx hdp5
Analog-Technics sp10mk2, Ortofon Quintet Black , Michell Tecnoarm
Bel Canto REF600m L & R, Emotiva Xpa 5 Gen 3 for Center and rears
Subs 2xJTR 2400captivator
PS Audio P10
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, incidentflux

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 10 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Twice the power will give you 3dB more output and headroom, which is not a lot, but will probably sound like a lot more just because of the differences between a good power amp and the amplifier that's built into most of today's medium-price receivers. As far as speaker damage, the sound will be very bad long before the speaker is damaged. Simple rule: if it sounds bad, turn it down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, incidentflux

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 10 months ago
Well Steveo you have things going well then. You have a sound just like you like it, GREAT!!!!
And the Moderator Dude indicates you would be fine, well served by the 5 channel amp as well.
Go for it, and let us know how things work out, how it sounds.
A lot of us are envious that you have the Triton Ones, you are indeed well on the right track!
Happy Listening, God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steveo

• Steveo's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 297
Steveo Posted 9 years 10 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Steveo. info_outline
Lol maybe I spoke too soon. I have noticed tonight on one of my speakers that there is a high pitched slight squealing sound and a kinda of whooshing sound coming from I am assuming one of the bass speakers.

It is extremely faint and you need to put your ear to the speaker. I wouldn't have been too concerned however I noticed it didn't make that sound on the left hand speaker at all. When the music was off it was dead silent. However the right speaker has this faint sound when it is in no matter what.

It is completely related to something with the power supply maybe the amp. Because even if I switch inputs it still remains there and it only seems to go when I disconnect the power cord. When I reconnect it the sound isn't there. The blue light flashes on the back for a while and when it is fully on the sound has returned.It is not volume related because I turned the sound all the way down and up with no music and it was still the same level.

Moderator do you have any input to this on what it could be? I am ringing the dealer tomorrow. It is extremely faint and as I said I wouldn't have been concerned if both speakers were like that but only one is. I am curious if this somehow is affecting the sound in any way.

Guys I want to make it clear I am not trying to nitpick here or anything. I feel silly bringing this up at all but because one is making this sound and the other isn't it would be nice to know what could be the cause and whether it is ok or not. I am not here to make trouble or anything. I have checked and swapped the power cord and the same speaker has the sound.

It is late here so I can't turn music up loud at all the determine if the bass notes are coming from the speaker or not.
Triton Ref Pair, Supercenter Ref, SS 3's surr
Digital-Nimitra Server>USPCB>Iso Regen>TX Ultra>chord mscaler>chord dave>deqx hdp5
Analog-Technics sp10mk2, Ortofon Quintet Black , Michell Tecnoarm
Bel Canto REF600m L & R, Emotiva Xpa 5 Gen 3 for Center and rears
Subs 2xJTR 2400captivator
PS Audio P10
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers New Triton 1's- Some Questions