file New Triton 1's- Some Questions

• Steveo's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 297
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Steveo Posted 9 years 11 months ago
Thanks Moderator. I did turn off everything and set it to 'through' mode and it didn't sound as good as my tweaks I have now on the parametric eq. Either way it sounds great overall for music movies and games. The 'though' setting made some songs sound ok while other like metal and rock really hollow. All songs sound better on this setting.

Everyone seems to suggest a better receiver. It's a shame since I got this new one recently before I heard about golden ears. I think for the money I paid this yamaha is pretty good value. The yamaha Aventage line seems to consistently win a lot of awards every year for the quality of the receiver and best in category. Maybe I should have got the 2040 or 3040 instead as mine is the 3rd from top of the line but it seems that there is not much love here for Yamaha in general. The problem I have is receivers change in technology so dramatically that I always thought it's better to spend the money on the speaker like I have with the 1's and to buy a better power amp as they last years too. My av receiver (and all other brands) will be out of date in a few years with the emergence of 4k, atmos and things we haven't heard heard of yet

If someone could tell me recommended brands and receivers they are using that would be great. It will help guide me next time when I want to upgrade when new tech arrives. If there could be some explanation on why these brands are better than the Yamaha that would be great to know. Maybe I was reading too much into past reviews of the brand which have all been overwhelmingly positive. The ESS DACs have rated well as well. I used the same research methodology to buy GoldenEar and I am very glad I did! Best value for money out there and great for ht and music I have found! The big bonus here is great people sharing experiences on this forum which I am grateful for.

The dealer who sold me the 1's commented the Yamaha's arnt as 'musical' as the pioneer and denon (he had for sale :)) I steered clear of pioneer because I had a previous one that does on me after 2 and a half years.

Any insight into Av receivers pairing with Triton 1 or 2s would be great. Thanks in advance everyone.
Triton Ref Pair, Supercenter Ref, SS 3's surr
Digital-Nimitra Server>USPCB>Iso Regen>TX Ultra>chord mscaler>chord dave>deqx hdp5
Analog-Technics sp10mk2, Ortofon Quintet Black , Michell Tecnoarm
Bel Canto REF600m L & R, Emotiva Xpa 5 Gen 3 for Center and rears
Subs 2xJTR 2400captivator
PS Audio P10
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 11 months ago
Hi Steveo,
Thanks for having a great attitude and continuing to post here and ask questions. Some of our comments could sound derogatory towards your Yamaha, and I for one don't mean it to sound that way.
I think many of us here are in awe of what we think the Triton Ones will be capable of, what we think they should sound like. I am convinced that we would all have to pay 5-10 times as much for speakers that sound as good as the top Triton towers.
Meaning, that (in my mind, and probably a lot of us here) the Triton Ones are High End speakers capable of top notch sound. So normally High End, top notch will be played by pricey electronics. I am thinking $10,000 plus processors and maybe another $10,000 in amps.
BUT, thank God, Sandy Gross and GoldenEar are trying to make affordable awesome that people can actually afford. I suspect that they are pleased that you are able to own them and enjoy them with more affordable electronics.
AND, I agree with you totally to buy the best speakers you can, they make the biggest difference!!!

Can I ask you to back up a bit in this conversation and try something for us?
Can you set your Yamaha to pure direct, pass through, with no EQ at all? And then play a few of the discs that you experienced the mid-range suckout on. But play them at a good, full volume. You may need to do that during the day, wife away and warn the neighbors to leave. Does that solve the problem?
IF so, then I believe you are boosting the bass and treble to equalize for low volume. That would mean you and your system are normal, but until you can get out of that unit, and as long as you like a more exciting/involving sound balance, you will likely need to boost bass and treble to enjoy those discs.
Please let us know if you try it?
And all the best to you man,
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 9 years 11 months ago
I believe warr has found the solution for most everyone's problem... acoustical treatment. As you know, I'm fond of the saxophone, but bothered by the brightness in most recordings. I've always blamed the speakers, amps, sources, and the recording itself. Could it possibly be my room? The other day I placed a JC Penny, thick bath towel, on the First Reflection Spot (on the wall) adjacent to each front-main L/R speaker...hugh difference. Sax has lost it's bite and vocals sound more refined (clearer). I've found two companies that others are recommending - ATS Acoustics & GIK Acoustics - I settled on GIK Acoustics. I called them and had a nice conversation with Bryon Pale. I told him I wanted to start small (get my toes wet) and his suggestion was a pair of 244 Bass Traps (with range limiter) on the wall adjacent to the L/R speakers. On the rear wall (behind my listening chair) he recommended 2 Monster Bass Traps (with range limiter) and also had a Scatter Plate added to each one. The Monster Bass Trap is rather large, measuring 24.25" x 48.5" x 7.25" (will hang on tne wall). In the future, he recommends the Soffit Bass Traps (front corners). Shipment should go out today and probably arrive early next week...can't wait. :cheer:

I still believe steveo's T1 problem is his Yamaha...but he could still benefit (immensely) from acoustic treatments.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
Attachments:

• Winefix's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 70
Winefix Posted 9 years 11 months ago
Acoustic treatments make a huge difference. As a custom installer, I can tell you I feel they are perhaps more important than the components. (Speakers being the most important)
Also- you can make them yourself pretty easily with professional results. I use cotton panels and construct wooden frames and cover with material that allows sound transfer. (speaker cloth)
I am totally against fiberglass, 703 or rock wool, etc.., that is what you get with 90% of the panels out there, so if buying panels be sure to ask what they use inside.
Recylcled cotton is the way to go for absorption and dust / odor free rooms.
Good times, good wine, and great music !!

• twinturbo11's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 87
twinturbo11 Posted 9 years 11 months ago

Winefix wrote: Acoustic treatments make a huge difference. As a custom installer, I can tell you I feel they are perhaps more important than the components. (Speakers being the most important)
Also- you can make them yourself pretty easily with professional results. I use cotton panels and construct wooden frames and cover with material that allows sound transfer. (speaker cloth)
I am totally against fiberglass, 703 or rock wool, etc.., that is what you get with 90% of the panels out there, so if buying panels be sure to ask what they use inside.
Recylcled cotton is the way to go for absorption and dust / odor free rooms.

Aside from Bondedlogic products, what else would you recommend?
HTR7000 7.1.2 ATMOS setup
Marantz SR7011 Atmos Receiver
Nvidia Shield 4k Media Player
Sonos Connect
Sony PS4 Pro
Laser 4k Projector (soon)
Elite 150" motorized screen

• Winefix's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 70
Winefix Posted 9 years 10 months ago
I have used a few, Soundproof cow, Applagate, and others for cotton bats of rigid insulation. (2" and 4" thick)
It is very effective, made out of recycled denim. Also- no need for gloves as it is not itchy or toxic to work with.

Best of luck-
Good times, good wine, and great music !!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers New Triton 1's- Some Questions