file New Triton 1's- Some Questions

• Steveo's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 297
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Steveo Posted 9 years 10 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Steveo. Reason: Uploaded link and gave dealer comments info_outline
Here is a video I took below on dropbox. Sorry for the video file and large file however the movie camera seemed to pick up the sound better than my microphone recorder on my phone. The video starts with it next to the high pitched sound. I then move it to the other speaker and there is no high pitched sound. Then because my phone mic is so sensitive there is a sound I make moving back to it and you can hear the high pitched sound more pronounced. You cant hear this on the phone but there is also an accompanying sound like you are listening to a seashell or the whoosing sound of a kettle boiling (sorry for the unusual descriptions I dont know how else to describe it) it seems to be all the bass speakers especially the top two from what I can hear.

From looking at the diagrams on the Triton-Towers ones it appears to be coming directly from the all 3 sub speaker especially the top two. I am listening to some faint music and it seems I can hear bass notes on the left speaker however this sound seems to be more pronounced than the bass notes on the right speaker in question. I am not sure if it is getting rid of the bass notes on this speaker altogether. I don't think it is because when I turn the sub up and down it makes a difference in sub output but no matter what I do I can't get rid if this sound unless the power cord is out.

www.dropbox.com/sh/v38see82i64vl2u/AAAV5...5PpbFoiD0DsPcQa?dl=0

I spoke to the dealer and he told me it could be a grounding issue. I have heard grounding issues and this one isnt the low thud noise I have heard. He did say that speaker damage is when if you turn it up the sound gets louder. From my little testing last night in low volumes this didnt appear to be the case and seemed to remain stable but I will check tonight. He suggested I move the speaker away from its location and try a different power outlet (which I already tried a different power outlet and cable last night but it was still close to the current one however I didnt move the speaker.) He also asked me to switch the speakers around and see if that is the problem still.

Everyone once again I apologise for bringing this up. I dont mean at all to be negative but I have really enjoyed my speakers so far since I fixed the EQ. I only heard the sound last night so I am not sure if it has literally just happened or if it has been there from the start. I will listen to them on the weekend and see how the sound is. I am really hoping it is a simple grounding issue.

Anyway let me know your thoughts or if anyone has experienced anything like this with their Tritons.
Triton Ref Pair, Supercenter Ref, SS 3's surr
Digital-Nimitra Server>USPCB>Iso Regen>TX Ultra>chord mscaler>chord dave>deqx hdp5
Analog-Technics sp10mk2, Ortofon Quintet Black , Michell Tecnoarm
Bel Canto REF600m L & R, Emotiva Xpa 5 Gen 3 for Center and rears
Subs 2xJTR 2400captivator
PS Audio P10
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Splash51's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
Splash51 Posted 9 years 9 months ago
Hello all, I decided to jump in here as I also have a Yamaha RX-A1040 I purchased prior to the GE equipment. My setup now is all GE, Triton 1's with SuperCenter XL and SS3's in back. Whole system sounds fantastic!!!! I tried an experiment with the Steely Dan song referenced earlier " West of Hollywood" The Yamaha has MANY MANY settings and can be really confusing/misleading. I also heard the lack of female vocals in the song. I was playing in "Straight" then in "2channel stereo". I found "Pure Direct" solved the problem for me. It appears Yamaha has some DSP processing in all modes except "Pure Direct" and manually turning off YPAO and the Enhancer. I have found it MUCH easier to control the Yamaha with the app on an Android/Apple device. It allows you to see ALL currently set options on 2 screens. To disable all DSP processing (I believe) In the DSP menu select "Straight" then on the "Options" menu turn OFF the YPAO volume and the Enhancer if its on and zero ALL tone controls. and choose "Pure Direct". All stay enabled unless you turn it off here. I believe this bypasses all signal adjusting processing in the DSP. I heard the vocals that were just so faint you had to try to hear them. The sound stage also changed a bit which tells me the other modes do process the signal in some way. I heard the vocals at what I consider low volume for listening to music -25dB. I deemed this low as any louder and my wife complains:) My room is rectangular and roughly 20wx25l with vaulted celling that peaks at 13 feet. Towers are 8ft apart and 10 ft from my "spot"

To address the power questions, the dealer I purchased from demo'd the triton 1s with 125w NAD equipment. I am having no problems driving the towers with the 110w Yamaha. I have turned them as high as -5dB and no distortion what so ever. Amp gets a little warm but that's to be expected.

Hope this helps!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, incidentflux

• Splash51's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
Splash51 Posted 9 years 8 months ago
A follow up to this thread, I put an Adcom GFA-555 II as the amp for the T1's. Huge difference, deeper more defined base, highs and mids more defined as well. Sound stage was noticeably wider, deeper and placement was very clear. The referenced track 'West of Hollywood' displayed a very noticeable improvement in all aspects of instrumentation and vocals. I have ordered EMO XPA-2'a and an XPA-1L to use as amps. I will use the Yamaha for a pre-amp and SS processing and drive rear channels. It's not just power, the Yamaha rx-a1040 amps are just OK, the capabilities of the T1's expose the limitations of this amp. The Adcom is unmodified, but in excellent condition. I will post an update after I get the XPA's installed and warmed up!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, incidentflux

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 8 months ago
Hi Splash51,
Thanks for keeping the info coming and telling us of your experience.
I am not surprised that you got that much better sound with the improved amp! I think you may get even better sound when you get the Emotivas, but I DOUBT that it will be as big an improvement as you already have (that Adcom is rather well regarded and will be a little hard to beat dramatically).
I believe a better front end (pre-amp/processor) would give you more improvement now rather than amps. But for your sake, I hope I am wrong.
Anyway, your system is definitely moving in the right direction, improving all the time.
I sure hope you enjoy it, you are already well farther along than most folks in this world in terms of audiophile system.
Happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Splash51

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 9 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by anthem. info_outline
The Adcom GFA-555 ll was without a doubt, Adcom's biggest selling amp of all time...I own two. I'm using one with the SS3 rear surrounds. The GFA-555 ll has great bass, but the highs are rather forward, as confirmed by Stereophile magazine in their original review.

I've owned Emotiva xpa -1 monoblocks for 3-4 years, they are very detailed amps. When paired with GE's HFVR tweeter, be careful though, the highs, especially saxophones, can be exaggerated, resulting in a somewhat sterile sound. Also, I've noticed a sibilance problem, particularly in female voices. I feel the use of a tube preamp and 12 g speaker wire is highly beneficial with the Emotiva's.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

• twinturbo11's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 87
twinturbo11 Posted 9 years 8 months ago
Hey guys:

I just got a Parasound Halo A21 for my triton 1s - what do you think is a good preamp to go with it?

thanks! :)
HTR7000 7.1.2 ATMOS setup
Marantz SR7011 Atmos Receiver
Nvidia Shield 4k Media Player
Sonos Connect
Sony PS4 Pro
Laser 4k Projector (soon)
Elite 150" motorized screen

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers New Triton 1's- Some Questions