file New Triton 1's- Some Questions

• twinturbo11's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 87
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
twinturbo11 Posted 9 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by twinturbo11. info_outline
Dear Moderator, if the 7s in that spectrum sounded fine (and without ceiling treatment), why would it be different in the 1s ? Is there something fundamentally that different in their construction or in their crossovers ?
HTR7000 7.1.2 ATMOS setup
Marantz SR7011 Atmos Receiver
Nvidia Shield 4k Media Player
Sonos Connect
Sony PS4 Pro
Laser 4k Projector (soon)
Elite 150" motorized screen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
They should sound very similar in terms of timbre and tonal balance within their operating range. All GoldenEar speakers are voiced basically the same. They will interact differently in the room, but this shouldn't result in major differences.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• jdaddabbo's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 4
jdaddabbo Posted 9 years 11 months ago
For a comparison Test of your 7's, can you tilt the 1's slightly downward, as well place two coffee long tables directly in front of your 1's, which would then allow your 1's to appear shorter when it comes to both Ceiling and Floor bounce. If this ends up making them sound quite a bit more like your 7's, then you were right about Speaker height and what not.

Just a idea that you may want to give a try. Well, if you happen to try this out, do let us know your findings. Thanks!

• warr's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 22
warr Posted 9 years 11 months ago
I will give that trick a try later today. I really think the problem lies with the room combined with the height (I hope). The room is a temporary set-up for my speakers (thank goodness) but will be about a year before my system moves into its new home.

Here is a bit more detail from my findings - whenever there is the sound of “distance” or “hollow”, it always comes from the center image. The sounds/instruments that are imaged left/right are much louder than the center image. Moving my head just left or right can make huge differences - mainly rids of or increases the “out-of-phase” sound that I am getting but only raises the center image volume ever so slightly - in other words, I can eliminate the out-of-phase sound by re-positioning my head but the volume still can lack on the center image. In every recording that this phenomena is happening, voices are mixed to give a center image -and not every recording with a vocal center image is as severe. This is only “very” prominent on about 15% of my recordings with center vocal imaging.

The 7’s seem much more forgiving in this room and less finicky with head position. But as the OP had shared his experience, I too immediately was concerned (coming from the 7’s) that something was not right. But it does not make sense that I can get such “glorious” sounding recordings on some albums and a complete change to the worse from others when this was not happening from the 7’s. This is why I really suspect my room.

The room: Well, its a “T” shape and the speakers are set up at the end of the “T” stem (bottom of T). The listening position is at the top of the “T” stem just before it branches out. The “T” stem is only 11’ feet wide and 12’ deep with 9’ ceilings - then branches out to 26’ x 16’ and has vaulted ceilings. At the moment the rear of the speakers are 10” from walls and toed in directly to the listener. The rear of the speakers are about 3’ from the back wall.

I hope this does not seem like I am unsatisfied with my T1’s or am complaining - I am not! I love them and am a huge fan of Goldenear speakers and would recommend them to everyone. I have watched many movies on my 5.1 system and I will say that I can’t compliment enough about the sound I am getting! When I am finished with building our new home (with a dedicated theater 21’ x 25’ / no windows or cubby’s), I will be adding another set of 7’s along with ceiling speakers (Invisa HTR 7000’s).

Mark

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 11 months ago
Hi Warr,
Thanks for that description. I believe it helps. I am not sure of course, only you will be able to find out.
BUT I think the room and your sitting position are the problem.
How far apart are your Ones? I got that they are 3 feet out from the rear wall, but IF I understood, that end of the room is only 11 feet across, so you must have the speakers closer to each other than you are from them.
Can you move your seating position nearer to the speakers? I would have them at least 1 1/2- 2 feet away from side walls, even if. for now, you have them closer to each other than you would like, 7 or 8 feet apart.
And IF you can sit 7 or 8 feet from them, and toe them in toward yourself, I think you will find it will not matter where you move your head, and you will not have that suck out. You should get your center image back on all recordings that have one.
I know you will not like the look of things and MIGHT not even decide to sit there after all. But I think it will fix your problem.
Could easily be reading your comments wrong though, so please let us know?
Hope you get it sorted out soon, happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• warr's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 22
warr Posted 9 years 11 months ago
My speakers are about 8' (front of and center of speaker) apart; the rear of the speakers are about 10' apart. I am sitting 7 1/2' from speakers and speakers are toed in. So I have been observing the "Golden"ear Rule. I have tried many other positions - move forward / move back / in / out / etc.

I think it is the room. The height of the 7's - the sound travel would hit the upper mid and top of couch as well as the top of the rear sofa cabinet behind the couch and would most likely disperse. The 1's - the sound travel will clear these obstacles and hit the back walls and will do who knows what when it gets back to my ears. There seems to be cancellations and wash-out of frequencies to the extreme.

Have not yet pointed speakers down yet. Will do that later today.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers New Triton 1's- Some Questions