file New Triton 1's- Some Questions

• warr's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 22
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
warr Posted 9 years 11 months ago
I too have the Triton 1's and am finding a similar problem as well. Some of the recordings I play (not all recordings), the voices are sort of distanced in the background and very low in volume or sometimes “hollow” sounding. Just to be clear, I am running directly from a PS Audio direct stream dac and there is NO processing at all. The same thing happens when I play a CD from the OPPO 95 thru an Anthem D2. And this is in stereo as well. I also have the Triton 7's and this problem does not exist.

It almost sounds like one of my drivers is not working. For example - when playing some songs from Steely Dan’s “Two Against Nature” album, the background female voices on the cut “west of hollywood” can barely be heard whereas these same voices are very present on any other system I have heard including on my 7’s. At the same time, everything else in the recording sounds good - go figure. And yes I tried repositioning the speakers.

I am going to switch speaker leads today and see if the voices appear in the other speaker just to see what happens.

For sure my 1’s are volume sensitive compared to the 7’s. As you turn up the volume on the 1’s it seems like different frequencies are not gaining in unity; when the volume is up and loud, it seems like everything just “pops” and everything comes together; all is good, but I don’t always want to play this loud.

Mark
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 11 months ago
Shouldn't be the case. But ... it is always possible that something has become non-functional from use or transit. Only way to tell for sure is with some troubleshooting. On the Triton One, this will probably involve some disassembly so best to get it back to the dealer. They can verify each driver is functioning after removing the grille and frame.

The two midrange drivers are wired in series so it is possible a loose wire or cold solder joint could cause them both to stop playing - BUT - they cover a huge part of the spectrum and I would expect if they weren't playing there would be a serious drop in volume output. Only one playing (intermittently) could also be a more subtle sounding problem, and I guess possible if there was a loose wire or defective driver. So far, with over 500 shipped, we have had no driver failures, so that seems unlikely.

If you find a left to right difference by swapping the speakers (problem stays with one speaker only), have the dealer check out the one that appears to have an issue, Just by "odds", it would seem virtually impossible that both speakers have a problem. If both, more likely something else is going on.

• Steveo's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 297
Steveo Posted 9 years 11 months ago
Thanks Moderator and Thankyou Warr for your feedback it sounds very similar to my issue.

Like I said in my initial post when I first got the speakers it felt literally like there was sections of music missing. It sounded pretty bad. Music I have listened to for years and I knew all the nuances and it sounded wrong However after time it seemed to improve but the midrange is not there unless I turn up the treble all the way and then it seems to open up a bit.

Can I damage the speakers having the treble all the way up while I diagnose this problem with my dealer? Should I turn it back down in the meantime? I will do that test tonight by going into bypass mode etc.
Triton Ref Pair, Supercenter Ref, SS 3's surr
Digital-Nimitra Server>USPCB>Iso Regen>TX Ultra>chord mscaler>chord dave>deqx hdp5
Analog-Technics sp10mk2, Ortofon Quintet Black , Michell Tecnoarm
Bel Canto REF600m L & R, Emotiva Xpa 5 Gen 3 for Center and rears
Subs 2xJTR 2400captivator
PS Audio P10

• twinturbo11's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 87
twinturbo11 Posted 9 years 11 months ago

Steveo wrote: Thanks Moderator and Thankyou Warr for your feedback it sounds very similar to my issue.

Like I said in my initial post when I first got the speakers it felt literally like there was sections of music missing. It sounded pretty bad. Music I have listened to for years and I knew all the nuances and it sounded wrong However after time it seemed to improve but the midrange is not there unless I turn up the treble all the way and then it seems to open up a bit.

Can I damage the speakers having the treble all the way up while I diagnose this problem with my dealer? Should I turn it back down in the meantime? I will do that test tonight by going into bypass mode etc.

why would you want to compromise on $5k speaker? just return them, and ask for new ones !
HTR7000 7.1.2 ATMOS setup
Marantz SR7011 Atmos Receiver
Nvidia Shield 4k Media Player
Sonos Connect
Sony PS4 Pro
Laser 4k Projector (soon)
Elite 150" motorized screen
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 11 months ago

Steveo wrote: Can I damage the speakers having the treble all the way up while I diagnose this problem with my dealer? Should I turn it back down in the meantime? I will do that test tonight by going into bypass mode etc.

No worries about damage, but something is certainly not right somewhere.

That said, no rocket science involved, if your setup is good the speaker can be easily diagnosed for a loose connection or something of that sort. They are 100% QC'd, at multiple points before your dealer gets them. But I can tell you after 35 years in the business, amazing stuff happens in transit sometimes.

• jdaddabbo's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 4
jdaddabbo Posted 9 years 11 months ago
I too would suggest getting a hold of GE. May I ask if you both have broken in your new speakers for at least 40 hrs? The Midrange has the most to gain from doing so... and from what you both describe I believe that it could just be a matter of break-in.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers New Triton 1's- Some Questions