file Picked up a SCXXL today!!!!!

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
murphyslaw1978 Posted 9 years 2 months ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: Hey Murphylaw1978,
Let me answer this slowly if you don't mind. Someone else asked that too, and I want to go back and have another listen before I recommend very many.
I can say, first off the bat, that the "Rhapsodies" SACD nearly took my breath away from the opening.
It would be a wonderful place to start.
And if you know the beginning music of 2001 Space Odyssey, then you know the beginning of "Also Sprach Zarathustra" by Strauss. Reiner conducting the Chicago is considered one of, if not THE BEST version of this remarkable work.
I want to add more, but those two would be a GREAT way to get started and see if you like them as much as I do.
Happy Listening,
God Bless, Wayne

Awesome, I'll get started on those two then :)
7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 2 months ago

rjohn79395 wrote:

Splash51 wrote: Hi all, sorry for not updating this thread. This discussion spilled into another thread. I tried xover from 40 to 110 Hz. I have found the 80Hz (GE recommended) is what I have used the longest and I think I will leave it there. When paired with T1's this is a fantastic combo. I tried the SkyfaLL experiment and the dialog is crisp and clear between 60 and 100Hz. At 110 it was ever so slightly muddied. Below 80 it started to sound just a bit treble heavy(tinty). So I have decided to stay at 80 for a while.

I also acquired a copy of the RCA Living Stereo CD Wayne recommended. WOW what a great sound!! It is now my favorite classical recording. It is a fantastic center channel (well all 3 channels) test CD as the sound is so clear and brilliant. It goes from very quiet and subtle to booming bass drums and back. The center channel is very noticeable in this recording. If the XXL was deficient it would show up in this recording. The XXL handles this like a T1!!! What a great combo. Thanks to GET for building this speaker.

Bottom line, if your not happy with your center channel go listen to one of these. If you are happy go listen to one of these. Take $1299 with you as you will likely walk out with one!!!

P.S. it looks like the XL, just a bit wider. My wife has yet to notice I bought a new speaker:)

Enjoy,
DT

Well, DT, that settles it for me.. I'll be looking at replacing my SCXL with the XXL when I get back home to TX. Can't wait to hear it with the T1's.

T Cobe, have you ordered or auditioned a SCXXL yet?

Rick

Rick,

I have not purchased nor auditioned the SCXXL yet. As predicted, my local dealer doesn't have it on display. They focus more on 2-channel audio. They did tell me just today that they have it in stock while I was there looking at RCAs. I told them it was mean to taunt me like that... I'm still saving for a pair of XPA-1Ls. I've got to get my 7 channels of amplification in place now that I've started. I've been pretty happy with the addition of the XPA-5.

I'm debating between T5s, T2s, T3s, and another pair of Aon 3s to round out my surround sound as well. The SCXXL will probably come before that decision. The center channel will make a bigger difference than surrounds and I'm still struggling to get my dialogue exactly where I want it. I think I've got my bloated vocals figured out and I'm working to add some acoustic treatments. I'm hoping to have that worked out by Saturday.

Let me know how it sounds once you have it in place. :laugh: I'll live vicariously through you and the others that upgrade early. Happy listening!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, aribraun

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 9 years 2 months ago

T Cobe wrote:

rjohn79395 wrote:

Splash51 wrote: Hi all, sorry for not updating this thread. This discussion spilled into another thread. I tried xover from 40 to 110 Hz. I have found the 80Hz (GE recommended) is what I have used the longest and I think I will leave it there. When paired with T1's this is a fantastic combo. I tried the SkyfaLL experiment and the dialog is crisp and clear between 60 and 100Hz. At 110 it was ever so slightly muddied. Below 80 it started to sound just a bit treble heavy(tinty). So I have decided to stay at 80 for a while.

I also acquired a copy of the RCA Living Stereo CD Wayne recommended. WOW what a great sound!! It is now my favorite classical recording. It is a fantastic center channel (well all 3 channels) test CD as the sound is so clear and brilliant. It goes from very quiet and subtle to booming bass drums and back. The center channel is very noticeable in this recording. If the XXL was deficient it would show up in this recording. The XXL handles this like a T1!!! What a great combo. Thanks to GET for building this speaker.

Bottom line, if your not happy with your center channel go listen to one of these. If you are happy go listen to one of these. Take $1299 with you as you will likely walk out with one!!!

P.S. it looks like the XL, just a bit wider. My wife has yet to notice I bought a new speaker:)

Enjoy,
DT

Well, DT, that settles it for me.. I'll be looking at replacing my SCXL with the XXL when I get back home to TX. Can't wait to hear it with the T1's.

T Cobe, have you ordered or auditioned a SCXXL yet?

Rick

Rick,

I have not purchased nor auditioned the SCXXL yet. As predicted, my local dealer doesn't have it on display. They focus more on 2-channel audio. They did tell me just today that they have it in stock while I was there looking at RCAs. I told them it was mean to taunt me like that... I'm still saving for a pair of XPA-1Ls. I've got to get my 7 channels of amplification in place now that I've started. I've been pretty happy with the addition of the XPA-5.

I'm debating between T5s, T2s, T3s, and another pair of Aon 3s to round out my surround sound as well. The SCXXL will probably come before that decision. The center channel will make a bigger difference than surrounds and I'm still struggling to get my dialogue exactly where I want it. I think I've got my bloated vocals figured out and I'm working to add some acoustic treatments. I'm hoping to have that worked out by Saturday.

Let me know how it sounds once you have it in place. :laugh: I'll live vicariously through you and the others that upgrade early. Happy listening!

Cheers,

T Cobe

Hi, T Cobe

It now looks like my September project list includes upgrading from a SCXL to SCXXL (I'll audition the SCXXL first), Venom 3 power cables for the T1's, T2's and stack, and possibly converting from the 7.1 NAD T757 to a 9.2 amped channels plus 2 additional pre-outs Marantz SR 7009 AVR (I have one currently unused pair of ceiling Invisa 525's I could use as a height channel, and I may want to try the 7009's top of the line Audyssey Multi EQ XT32 room correction to see what it sounds like). I'd still power the front T1's through the NAD amp. Decision on the Marantz to come in Sept.

Oh, my, this forum offers so many good ideas... it can be so tempting, and get pretty expensive, to keep fine tuning the sound the GEt speakers get to play. But the GEt speakers are so capable...

With the addition of the SCXXL, I think I'll be happy with the GEt speaker combo I would then have (T1 fronts, SCXXL center, T2's surrounds, and 2 pairs of Invisa 525's). But then again, something new from Goldenear is always a possibility, and always tempting!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Murphyslaw1978,
For the life of me, I cannot find my copy of the Reiner "Also Sprach Zarathustra" by Strauss. I just wanted to check, since I THINK it is just stereo, 2 channel.
I have searched the internet and amid all the glowing reviews of this disc, I think I finally confirmed that it was only 2 mikes, therefore only stereo, not using the center channel like a LOT of the RCA Living Stereo SACDs.
So, just wanted to warn that it is a great pleasure to listen to, it does not use all three channels. Sorry.
I hope my being slow to find this info did not cause you to buy some music on poor, incorrect information.
Happy Listening,
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Splash51's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
Splash51 Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Hi T Cobe, did you know Emotiva is having a summer sale? 10% off until July 15th. If your a current e-club member you get an additional 10 so 20% off. That gets the XPA-1's under $500. The e-Club has been discontinued, so you can no longer sign up. Mine runs out in January 2016. I am waffling on picking up a pair of XPA-1s while I can get this price. Can you ever have too much clean power????? I really like the idea of 60w of class A power!

DT
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Splash51's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
Splash51 Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Hi Rick, what part of Texas? If Dallas/Ft. Worth area Audio Concepts in Dallas has them in stock. Stereo East in Frisco should have them by now. I do not work for either of these dealers. I buy from both of them and each have very nice setups to audition equipment of all price ranges.

DT
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperCenter Series Picked up a SCXXL today!!!!!