file Picked up a SCXXL today!!!!!

• Splash51's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Splash51 Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Hi Guys, I was poking around and found several classic rock albums on SACD. Dire Straights Brother in Arms which was and still is one of the best recorded albums ever. Cant wait to hear it on SACD. This one should prove or disprove if you can really hear a difference. I ordered it from overstock.com for $27. Dark side of the moon and Tommy are also available. I could not find Dark Side of the moon for under $80. I'm going to wait to see if I can hear a difference on Brothers in Arms, an album I have listened to MANY MANY times. I will report back once I get it.

Enjoy,
DT
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 9 years 2 months ago

Splash51 wrote: Hi all, sorry for not updating this thread. This discussion spilled into another thread. I tried xover from 40 to 110 Hz. I have found the 80Hz (GE recommended) is what I have used the longest and I think I will leave it there. When paired with T1's this is a fantastic combo. I tried the SkyfaLL experiment and the dialog is crisp and clear between 60 and 100Hz. At 110 it was ever so slightly muddied. Below 80 it started to sound just a bit treble heavy(tinty). So I have decided to stay at 80 for a while.

I also acquired a copy of the RCA Living Stereo CD Wayne recommended. WOW what a great sound!! It is now my favorite classical recording. It is a fantastic center channel (well all 3 channels) test CD as the sound is so clear and brilliant. It goes from very quiet and subtle to booming bass drums and back. The center channel is very noticeable in this recording. If the XXL was deficient it would show up in this recording. The XXL handles this like a T1!!! What a great combo. Thanks to GET for building this speaker.

Bottom line, if your not happy with your center channel go listen to one of these. If you are happy go listen to one of these. Take $1299 with you as you will likely walk out with one!!!

P.S. it looks like the XL, just a bit wider. My wife has yet to notice I bought a new speaker:)

Enjoy,
DT

Well, DT, that settles it for me.. I'll be looking at replacing my SCXL with the XXL when I get back home to TX. Can't wait to hear it with the T1's.

T Cobe, have you ordered or auditioned a SCXXL yet?

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Splash51

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Hey DT,
I am looking forward to hearing what Brothers sounds like in multichannel DSD on your system.
I won't prejudice you with my opinions, but will look forward to your report.
Happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Splash51

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
DT, you and Murphyslaw1978 have both asked about other RCA Living Stereo recommendations.
Here are the ones I have now and enjoy or I am buying.
Hope this helps, God Bless, Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: Splash51

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I also have these and do not recommend them so much.
Some of these are SACD, multi-channel SACD or hybrid CD and SACD, BUT the fine print says that they were originally recorded in 2 channel stereo, so therefore they are still only 2 channel. That is NOT what I am looking for.
Again, hope this helps, happy listening,
God Bless, Wayne
Attachments:

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
murphyslaw1978 Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Dire Straits is a great recording. I wonder if the SACD sounds better or same or worse. You never know until you dig into it.

I've found some vinyl rips to 24/96 from Dark Side of the Moon, and they sound amazing. Not all vinyl rips to digital sound good, though. Some people think that clicks and pops add to the Vinyl experience, but I'm just looking for the absolute best sound and one that was recorded well, and converted well. I can honestly not tell the difference between digital and analog when the recording is a super high quality recording. But can certainly tell when they are remastered or altered by the mastering folks to be played on radio or MP3 versus high quality.
7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperCenter Series Picked up a SCXXL today!!!!!