• fopmc's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 154
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
fopmc Posted 9 years 2 months ago
DT,

Congrats on the SCXXL!
I have my SCXL under my TV, and an in-ceiling center channel hooked up above, both amplied with XPA-1L and XPA-5 respectively, via a splitter from my center channel pre out from my receiver.

So you 'might' want to hook it similarly just to test it out before you part with the SCXL.... just sayin' :P
(...and if you do, please report back)

Thanks
Po
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Splash51, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Moderator,

The frequency response listed for the SCXXL is only few Hz lower than the SCXL. Based on the size difference, additional passive radiators, and the 2 drivers dedicated to frequencies below 500 Hz, I suspect it more capable. Do you have the recommended crossover frequency for the SCXXL? I'm assuming it is lower than the SCXXL. Thank you.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Splash51

• Splash51's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
Splash51 Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Hi Wayne, yes you are correct. The small/large only set the channel to have a crossover point or not. I will set to small and try the settings you asked about today. Do you have a favorite movie/s for SS? I can use that for reference tracks. I was using Large to see how it handled the entire signal. I need to listen to more material before I claim it is "better" with all the base. I will try the 60 and 80 Hz now.

I added some pics. SCXXL with a tape measure so you get an exact placement of the posts. I also added a pic of my setup(front anyway) rears are 4 SS3's for rear L/R and surrounds.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, aribraun

• Splash51's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
Splash51 Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Hi Po, interesting idea. Might have to give it a try.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 2 months ago

T Cobe wrote: Moderator,

The frequency response listed for the SCXXL is only few Hz lower than the SCXL. Based on the size difference, additional passive radiators, and the 2 drivers dedicated to frequencies below 500 Hz, I suspect it more capable. Do you have the recommended crossover frequency for the SCXXL? I'm assuming it is lower than the SCXXL. Thank you.

Cheers,

T Cobe

"More capable" at lower frequencies is exactly the correct description, it does not really play any lower but will handle significantly more power at lower frequencies. We still recommend starting at 80 Hz - listening habits, available power and size of room will determine if that can/should be lower (or higher). My own experience has been that taking the long excursion bass out of the center channel output significantly improves dialog intelligibility and overall clarity. Others may disagree and want more full range output.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, Splash51, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Thanks Splash, what a great looking system, bet it sounds terrific!!!!
Thanks to post the pics!
As far as movies go, I can't think of any one particular movie to test the ability of the center channel speaker. But Toby mentioned that in James Bond movies, he has had a problem with Dame Judi Dench sounding like a man, or at least getting a gruff vocal from her voice. You might try that.
What I do HIGHLY recommend (sorry I have said this many times before) but the RCA Living Stereo series was recorded in 3 channel, front left, right and center. Put on one of those babies and your whole front wall should be filled with awesome music and the center channel really needs to get it right, hang in there with the big boys!
If you hear one of these played correctly (and I am SURE your system can play it better than mine), it will WOW you unless you just don't like classical music.
This is how I test my center channel.
Have fun with it, and please tell us more.
Happy listening, God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Splash51, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperCenter Series Picked up a SCXXL today!!!!!