file Picked up a SCXXL today!!!!!

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Great discussion on the SCXXL. Thanks, DT for humoring us with all our questions. The best 007 scene for me to test vocals is in Skyfall. I believe it's scene 7 or 8 in the underground concrete MI-6 HQ when Bond is brought back in and assessed after being AWOL for so long. Vocals are tricky in this scene and can get bloated and unnatural without proper balance. I have found that crossover settings above 70 Hz on the center channel sound terrible for dialogue. It reproduces too much bass bloat and echo if subs get involved. Let us know how your experiments go.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Splash51, aribraun

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
murphyslaw1978 Posted 9 years 2 months ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: ...Toby mentioned that in James Bond movies, he has had a problem with Dame Judi Dench sounding like a man, or at least getting a gruff vocal from her voice. You might try that.

I would think that Morgan Freeman is another good choice - March of the Pengiuns or Shawshank redemption as a test
7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Splash51's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
Splash51 Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Hi all, thanks for the suggestions!!!!! I will give these a try over the weekend and report back. Keep the questions and comments coming:)

Enjoy!!!

DT
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Splash51's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
Splash51 Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Hi all, sorry for not updating this thread. This discussion spilled into another thread. I tried xover from 40 to 110 Hz. I have found the 80Hz (GE recommended) is what I have used the longest and I think I will leave it there. When paired with T1's this is a fantastic combo. I tried the SkyfaLL experiment and the dialog is crisp and clear between 60 and 100Hz. At 110 it was ever so slightly muddied. Below 80 it started to sound just a bit treble heavy(tinty). So I have decided to stay at 80 for a while.

I also acquired a copy of the RCA Living Stereo CD Wayne recommended. WOW what a great sound!! It is now my favorite classical recording. It is a fantastic center channel (well all 3 channels) test CD as the sound is so clear and brilliant. It goes from very quiet and subtle to booming bass drums and back. The center channel is very noticeable in this recording. If the XXL was deficient it would show up in this recording. The XXL handles this like a T1!!! What a great combo. Thanks to GET for building this speaker.

Bottom line, if your not happy with your center channel go listen to one of these. If you are happy go listen to one of these. Take $1299 with you as you will likely walk out with one!!!

P.S. it looks like the XL, just a bit wider. My wife has yet to notice I bought a new speaker:)

Enjoy,
DT
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe, aribraun

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Excellent DT,
Glad to hear the XXL is working out so well for you. I am scared to listen to one after what you said!!!!!
Try more discs in that Living Stereo series, there are lots of good ones.
Happy Listening, God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aribraun

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
murphyslaw1978 Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Tell me more about this RCA Living Stereo CD. Where can this be purchased? Is this a CD box collection of 60 CDs?
7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperCenter Series Picked up a SCXXL today!!!!!