file Picked up a SCXXL today!!!!!

• Splash51's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Splash51 Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Hi T Cobe, the short answer to your question is yes it has a very similar depth of sound as the T1's. I cant honestly say they are the same as center channel signal has lots of dialog and 2 channel music delivers much more opportunity to show depth and width of sound. I really brings out the details of sound like the T1's It is like having a T1 as a center channel W/O the subs. I have the crossover set to 80, but if I read my Yamaha manual correctly when set to Large, which I have changed the center channel to, this does not apply. It only applies to speakers set to small? My initial listening was with it set to small and 110Hz which I had for the SCXL. It is better in the current setup.

Enjoy!
DT
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, aribraun

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 9 years 3 months ago

Splash51 wrote: Hi Rick, I just physically swapped the SCXL for the SCXXL without any other changes for an AB comparison. I had the bass crossover set to 110. Still a big difference in spatial effect of the bass and detail of mid and highs were like a new system!! I have changed the setup on my receiver. Center channel is set to large and bass crossover is now 80. This is even better. The most noticeable difference so far is the mids and highs have a punch that was not there before at this volume level. Even at higher levels the clarity was not as clean as it is now. The XXL sounds more like the T1s in this respect. It is kinda like having a T1 without subs as a center channel. I will post pictures later this afternoon. I can only imagine how this will improve as it gets broken in!!!

Enjoy!!

DT

Thanks, DT!

Your comments about "having a T1 without subs" makes me drool even more. The T1's clarity, presence and smoothness coming from the center channel also sounds awesome!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 3 months ago
DT,

Thank you very much for the reply! I'm surprised you had your SCXL crossed over at 110 Hz. I have mine at 60 to produce cleaner vocals. My Integra has a habit of reinforcing vocals with LFE if I set the crossover above 80 Hz. So with your receiver set to large, your SCXXL is getting a full frequency signal? You like what your hearing with that setting or are you still tweaking?

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Splash51

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Hi T Cobe, I had it at 110 for experimentation(I am always trying different things to see how they sound). I left it there to do the AB. It was at 80 prior. Yes at large all signal is going to center as well as L/R. WOW what clean clear center!! All across the spectrum it is noticeably improved in clarity and spatial expanse. I think my favored difference is in the feel of the mid/highs you can feel them, they are sharp crisp and disappear!! Like the T1's with 2 channel music. I am driving it with an Emotiva XPA-1LG2 so there is plenty of clean power to exercise the SCXXL!!

The SCXL is good but the SCXXL is Triton 1 caliber equipment.

By the way I have a slightly used (5 months) SCXL for sale:)

I will post pics tomorrow, promise I was called away today and could not do it.

Enjoy
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, aribraun

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Hi all!! The room correction only changed the volume a little on the rear channels. The distance settings are about right. The sub was set to 25 ft when it is actually 16?? I have the room kinda optimized for sound. When I listen to 2 channel music alone I move a chair to clear the way!! Wife goes to sleep so I get away with it Anyway I was using 110 as an experiment, but wanted to do an AB comparison. I put the SCXXL in with NO changes otherwise. After initial listening I changed the Yamaha setting for the center channel to Large. This bypasses a crossover setting. All signals goes to L/R/C as I have all tone controls set to 0. The SCXXL has a very noticeable improvement in bass. It has a deep spatial feel to it. You can feel the mid/highs, they are clean crisp powerful and disappear very quickly. The SCXL is a good center, the SCXXL is a Triton One class piece of equipment. The T1’s and SCXXL appear to be tuned for each other. I am very happy with the 2 channel sound. It is as good as any demo room at my dealer. The SS needed something to make it really jump out and grab you. The SCXXL has done this. I am driving the center with an Emotiva XPA-1L. The T1’s with EMO XPA-2’s in mono mode. Rears (4 SS3)are using the Yamaha A1040 internal amps.

Enjoy!!

DT
The following user(s) said Thank You: aribraun

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Hey Splash, (and all)
This is exciting new territory. We really depend on your experience to "hear" through your ears.
I am sure you know this, but those designations LARGE and SMALL have nothing to do with how big, physically the speakers are (the SC XXL must be really large!!!), but rather do you want to cross them over or not? Can you try a SMALL setting and 60 or 80 Hz crossover on them and let us know how it sounds? Most of us would not run the center full range and send all the bass to it.
It would be great if you could try that and report on how it sounds?
Thanks for your experience and input.
And ENJOY, happy listening,
God bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperCenter Series Picked up a SCXXL today!!!!!