• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Hey DT,
PLEASE a little bit more information!
I am a little lost. Are you listening to the stereo track???????
YES, the 5.1 surround sound IS 3D truly, compared to the stereo, 2 channel version. I am sure everyone can hear that, which is nothing to scoff at, in fact it is exactly why I LOVE the surround SACDs.
BUT, if you are saying the 2 channel version on the hybrid SACD is WOW better than the 2 channel version on a normal CD, then that would be amazing. I can tell you I have listened to my MFN SACD a LOT of times but have NEVER listened to the 2 channel version. Ha ha.
Can you please set me straight??????
Thanks for your comments, God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Splash51's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
Splash51 Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Hi Wayne, yes 2 channel stereo(Pure Direct) :ohmy: I don't see an option for 5.1 SS?? It shows the channel type as Stereo PCM and format SACD. Am I missing something?

DT
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Well DT, are you playing it on a SACD player?
IF so, you will have access to the DSD recording in 5.1 surround sound. IF it is the same as mine, and is a hybrid SACD, then it has a CD track as well, that (I always thought) was identical to the CD that anybody would buy.
As I said, I never listened to the red book CD track on a hybrid SACD, never compared it to my red book CD. That would be interesting, but hardly a good enough reason to buy a multi-channel SACD.
Please let me know about your player.
We should get to the bottom of this.
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, Splash51, T Cobe

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Hi Wayne, the disc I have is from MFSL and it does not say anywhere on the disc its SS or Hybrid. It does say DSD Direct Stream Digital, but not the Surround labeling like the Rhapsodies. See photo below. My player is an Oppo 103, it recognizes it as an SACD. I can tell you without reservation the 2 channel SACD sound IS better than the 2 channel CD.

I'm going to look around to see if I can find a SS version.

Thanks,
DT
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, aribraun

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi DT,
I found that one too on Amazon, I was not aware of it, or stereo SACDs in general. I am finding to my chagrin that there are some out there. My chagrin because I have plunked down good money and bought POS (poor old stereo) recordings AGAIN, when what I wanted was surround sound!!!!
MSFL are famous for great recordings, so I am not surprised that this one you got sounds a lot better.
Here is a pic of the one I have, the 20th Anniversary edition, which does indeed have surround sound. I don't know why but Amazon had it at $115 or some ridiculous price.
I was really looking forward to your review, because I assumed that this is the one you would be talking about. And HONESTLY, other than it being in surround sound, so there is that WOW factor, otherwise, I would NOT say WOW about this recording. I LIKE it, just don't love it. It is not something to write home about, IMHO.
I might be wrong, but IF I were to bet, I would bet you got the better recording.
So you may want to save your money, but IF you do get the surround SACD, then please let me know what you hear?
Happy listening, God Bless, Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Splash51, T Cobe, aribraun

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Hi Wayne, MFSL has built a very good reputation by using original master recordings to produce their library. I agree that the MFSL version probably sounds better based on using a digital master to produce this SACD. I can use the Yamaha's SS decoders to hear it in surround sound. It's not a SS source but I can get center channel out of it:)

Wow $115 holy smokes, I thought $80 was bad for Dark Side of the Moon??? I think I will be very happy with the version I have. I'm not going to look for a SS version. This one sounds so much better I will be disappointed in a lesser recording. I am working on a way to RIP SACD content to my NAS and store the physical media. All I am finding is a PS/3 old firmware solution. When I get it archived I can send it to you if you want to hear it.

I am liking the Strauss: Also sprach. Thanks for the recommendation, you have very good taste in music:)

Enjoy,
DT
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, aribraun

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperCenter Series Picked up a SCXXL today!!!!!