question-circle Triton 1 r and Refernce questions

• Mikey272's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 5
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Mikey272 Posted 5 years 2 months ago
In regards to the goldenear 1 r's and Reference speakers. It seems to me from what I read, bass aside, that the triton r 1's are at least 95 perecent of the speaker that the reference are but 3 grand cheaper, would you agree with that? If not, what percentage would you put it at?

May I ask what length are the plug chords that come with the stock r1's and reference.

If you were to swap out plugs would I want to be looking for a 10 or 12 gauge power chord for these speakers?

A Huge thank you in advance to anyone who can offer me any insight. Thank you so much.

Kinds Regards,

Mikey,

new to the higher end of hi-fi
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, charliehatch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 5 years 2 months ago
I'll leave the relative performance comments on the T-Ref and T1.R to the forum members. But as good as it is, the T1.R cannot move as much air as the T-Ref nor can it go quite as deep in bass, limiting its ultimate dynamic range. Both are excellent products and are extremely high value. You really need to hear them to decide which is best for your needs.

The supplied AC power cords are about 9 feet long. If you want to try 3rd party upgrade cords, 12 or 10 gauge are good sizes to consider. We've only tried a few so I'd say to ask the group for feedback on upgraded cords. If you try new cords, you might want to install upgraded AC power outlets, too. They're easy to install and are generally less expensive than many other hi-fi tweaks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, charliehatch

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 2 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Man, I wish I could answer your question re the 1.R vs.the T Ref. Moderator Dude had described the output differences between the two. The 1.R is a step up that I haven’t heard yet.

All I can add to that is that the T Ref's blew away my prior front T1's from everything from bass to clarity to dynamics. The T1's are now superb surrounds in my system. How would the 1.R’s do in your scenario? I’ve wondered that also. The Ref’s have the edge in speaker and amp size and they just kill bass in any HT setup. For me that is critical. The Ref’s just plain shake the room.

So it depends on what you want. Either speaker is way above anything I’ve heard. at anything near these kinds of price points..

Go listen if you can. You’re in rarified territory with either.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, charliehatch

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 5 years 2 months ago

Mikey272 wrote:
If you were to swap out plugs would I want to be looking for a 10 or 12 gauge power chord for these speakers?

Hi Mikey, and welcome to the forum!

I have a pair of TRefs, and I did notice a significant difference going to aftermarket power cords. Amazingly, you don't have to spend a fortune to get better performance. Here is a quote from a posting I did in the Power Cords topic:

"I bought a pair of 6 ft 14/3 power cords (NEMA 5-20p to C13) from Iron Box. These are $15 each at Amazon:
smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W7SWRK/r...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The 5-20p has a horizontal blade for one of the conductors that fits into a hospital-grade 20 amp outlet. You can get the outlets for less than $20 at Amazon. These Iron Box cords are fatter than the stock cords, so I assume (maybe incorrectly) that the conductors are bigger. Hence lower resistance."

These cords produced an increase in bass authority over the stock cords. More slam, better bass definition.

The amplifiers in the Tritons handle only bass frequencies, so it seems to me to be a waste of money to get expensive cords that are designed to produce better performance at high frequencies. These cords do well and don't cost a bundle. It's a relatively cheap way to experiment and see what you find.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 5 years 2 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
For a little added clarity about my previous post about the T-Ref and T1.R differences, there is more than dynamics. Not only are the dynamics and deep bass better, the T-Ref still offers better transparency and a more "you are there" experience that is hard to quantify. Both are exceptional speakers, but the T-Ref is the better of the two if it fits your budget and room.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• spence's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 15
spence Posted 5 years 2 months ago
Last week my buddy and I spent ~3 hrs at our local (sorta...50 mi) dealer doing a direct comparison of these two speakers. The dealer was extremely helpful in allowing us exclusive access to the listening room for this time and making the switch between the References and the 1.Rs as requested and playing the sources desired. The other equipment was McIntosh 300 w amp, McIntosh CD/SACD player, Peachtree preamp, Audioquest cables, and Project turntable with BPS cartridge, all products like mine or familiar to me. I brought CDs and vinyl that I was familiar with in a variety of genres from rock to classical to male and female voice to organ to frequency test bands. At first I was hopeful that the two speakers would be close enough for my old ears that I could save a few grand by getting the 1.Rs. The speakers are VERY similar, but it turned out that the longer we listened, the better the References sounded: better bass, more transparency, better lower mid-range. Upper mid-range and highs were very similar including performance on piano, cymbals, and percussion.

Since these are the last speakers I will probably buy. Because the price difference works out to be about $70/yr for my likely remaining life expectancy and because the dealer was helpful enough to facilitate the decision, I pulled the trigger on the big boys.

After a week of anxious waiting, they arrived this morning in perfect condition, delivered and set up by this same helpful dealer, and I could not be happier. They sound even better than in the show room.

Bottom line: if you can hear the difference and can afford the price differential, get the Titan References and get them from a dealer that was as helpful as mine was.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, charliehatch

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton 1 r and Refernce questions