question-circle Triton 1 r and Refernce questions

• gyew's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
gyew Posted 3 years 9 months ago
I do highly recommend the note 2i. Price point is good and the performance is very good for what the price point is. Check it out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DragonLick's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 6
DragonLick Posted 3 years 8 months ago
Try the NAD M33 if you can afford it. I think it sounds fantastic with my 1.r speakers and is super versatile. Streams almosr anything you can think of.
Golden Ear Triton One.r (pair), NAD M33 BluOS streaming amp, LG OLED55 TV, Bluejeans 10 AWG speaker cabling, Focal Utopia headphones, Hugo2 DAC/AMP, Mac Pro music file server, Alienware Area 51M R2 master server & calibration

• Rickala's Avatar Offline
Rickala Posted 3 years 2 weeks ago

In regards to the goldenear 1 r's and Reference speakers. It seems to me from what I read, bass aside, that the triton r 1's are at least 95 perecent of the speaker that the reference are but 3 grand cheaper, would you agree with that? If not, what percentage would you put it at?

May I ask what length are the plug chords that come with the stock r1's and reference.

If you were to swap out plugs would I want to be looking for a 10 or 12 gauge power chord for these speakers?

A Huge thank you in advance to anyone who can offer me any insight. Thank you so much.

Kinds Regards,

Mikey,

new to the higher end of hi-fi

The amps use very little power. My Panamax shows less than 1 amp each when playing fairly loud. Worrying about the power cord is pointless. You could easily use a 14 gauge wire at 12 feet, IMHO. Please feel free to counter my opinion though..

• Rickala's Avatar Offline
Rickala Posted 3 years 2 weeks ago
Last edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by Rickala. info_outline

Mikey272 wrote:
If you were to swap out plugs would I want to be looking for a 10 or 12 gauge power chord for these speakers?

Hi Mikey, and welcome to the forum!

I have a pair of TRefs, and I did notice a significant difference going to aftermarket power cords. Amazingly, you don't have to spend a fortune to get better performance. Here is a quote from a posting I did in the Power Cords topic:

"I bought a pair of 6 ft 14/3 power cords (NEMA 5-20p to C13) from Iron Box. These are $15 each at Amazon:
smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W7SWRK/r...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The 5-20p has a horizontal blade for one of the conductors that fits into a hospital-grade 20 amp outlet. You can get the outlets for less than $20 at Amazon. These Iron Box cords are fatter than the stock cords, so I assume (maybe incorrectly) that the conductors are bigger. Hence lower resistance."

These cords produced an increase in bass authority over the stock cords. More slam, better bass definition.

The amplifiers in the Tritons handle only bass frequencies, so it seems to me to be a waste of money to get expensive cords that are designed to produce better performance at high frequencies. These cords do well and don't cost a bundle. It's a relatively cheap way to experiment and see what you find.

Charlie
It's just not feasible that a heavier gauge power cord would make any difference when the power required is so minimal. Any perceived improvements would seam more likely to be placebo.

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 3 years 2 weeks ago
Last edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by GDHAL. info_outline

It's just not feasible that a heavier gauge power cord would make any difference when the power required is so minimal. Any perceived improvements would seam more likely to be placebo.

I agree. Placebo. Try discerning a difference under a proper blind test. ;)
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 3 years 2 weeks ago
Most of the time, at steady state, the subwoofers don't need or draw a lot of power. But transient power demands by those amps is significant at times. Why else have an 1800 W amplifier? It's for those moments that produce bass slam. And that's when you need to feed them.

There's one way to find out: try it. It doesn't cost much to do what I suggested.

Charlie

PS. I don't do placebos. I listen carefully, experiment, and listen again. Do that often enough, and it's surprising what you can hear. And, GDHAL, there's more to understanding the world than blind tests.
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton 1 r and Refernce questions