question-circle Triton 1 r and Refernce questions

• new24k's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 10
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
new24k Posted 4 years 11 months ago
So would having an electrician come over and change the 15A outlet to a 20A outlet help with both the One.R (for bass) and the Marantz amp (for the mids and high) connected to them?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• new24k's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 10
new24k Posted 4 years 11 months ago
And what about a surge protector or power conditioner?

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 4 years 11 months ago

new24k wrote: So would having an electrician come over and change the 15A outlet to a 20A outlet help with both the One.R (for bass) and the Marantz amp (for the mids and high) connected to them?

In my opinion, best would be to have an electrician install one (or more, depending on needs) dedicated 20 A line(s) to your audio system.

Next best is a 20 A line that feeds multiple outlets. I was using the next best solution for a long time, and I installed 20A hospital grade outlets (the house originally had cheapo 15A outlets even though it was a 20 A supply). I had my TRefs plugged into separate outlets and my electronics plugged into a PS Audio Dectet that fed everything else. The power cords I described previously made an improvement in the TRef bass using this setup.

When I got the P20, I had a dedicated 20 A line installed for that, and I plug everything, including the TRefs, into the P20. But that's an expensive solution.

As in all things, it depends how much money you want to spend.

I haven't tried enough surge protector/power strips to make useful comments. The Dectet worked fine, but I really didn't notice any differences in the sound. The P20 did make a noticeable difference.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 4 years 11 months ago

new24k wrote: So would having an electrician come over and change the 15A outlet to a 20A outlet help with both the One.R (for bass) and the Marantz amp (for the mids and high) connected to them?

That might help if the Romex used is heavy enough for a 20A circuit and the circuit breaker and outlets were all 20 amp rated.

As far as power conditioning and surge protection, as long as they do not limit current it's worth trying. Some have specific outlets that are designed for high current draw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, charliehatch

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 4 years 11 months ago

Moderator wrote:

That might help if the Romex used is heavy enough for a 20A circuit and the circuit breaker and outlets were all 20 amp rated.

If the home has been built to code, then the presence of a 20 A breaker will indicate that the downstream circuit will handle 20 A. Then it's just a matter of changing the outlet.
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395

• spence's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 15
spence Posted 3 years 11 months ago
Well, it's been over a year since I compared the Triton Reference to the One and pulled the trigger on the Reference. I remain completely happy with the choice and have found that I listen to music (mostly vinyl) every day. This has been the single best change in our system ever; wife of (now) 52.5 yrs agrees. In fact, I find that I have ceased contemplating upgrades and spend my time and $$$ seeking new (to us) music. This includes 78 rpm mono recordings to 45 rpm current issues. I no longer watch the television except to view movies. They say that as you age, you sleep less; I am down from 9 hours/night as a teenager to about 5.5 hours as a pre-boomer. About half of those "extra" 3.5 hours are just about what I spend daily with the T-Refs. My ears are smiling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, Dwight, rjohn79395, charliehatch

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton 1 r and Refernce questions