question-circle Triton 1 r and Refernce questions

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
charliehatch Posted 5 years 2 months ago
I have a copy of that BAS test CD. It came with a Hsu subwoofer that I bought many years ago. Now, with the TRefs, I don't need the sub any more and sold it. But I kept the test CD.

I have heard the door close, but the last time I listened I got so involved in the music that I didn't notice it. It is a great recording, as are the others on that disc. I love the sound of those minimally-miked recordings!

Another floor shaker is Virgil Fox's The Bach Gamut on Reference. This was recorded live in San Francisco in the 1970s and has a colossal bottom end.

Good to hear you're enjoying the TRefs. Their sound will improve further over the next few weeks as they break in.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• spence's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 15
spence Posted 5 years 2 months ago
My wife and I had dinner after swimming with my buddy who auditioned the TRefs with me. After dinner he played Dire Straits Brothers in Arms on his B&W 802s. I sounded good. When we got home that night, my wife of 51 years asked to hear the same record on the new TRefs, a surprise for me as she rarely sits and listens (usually music is background for something else). She said it sounded better on the new speakers. Then she asked to hear Simon & Garfunkle, and then Janis. I put on Cheap Thrills. She asked me to turn it up! She NEVER does that. Then she got up and turned it up more!! When we were finished and headed for bed, she said, "Tomorrow night we have to listen to some Beatles."

I am a lucky man.
Spence
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 2 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Good story, Spence!

I’ve had similar experiences, where my wife is in the den and I’m playing music on the GEt’s elsewhere and she’ll come out and ask me to turn it up, even starts dancing to the music sometimes. She NEVER turns sound up on other systems/speakers!

I’ve also listened to B+W’s, at a dealer. Clean, detailed, but treble a bit brittle, not as smooth, bass definitely not as dynamic. T Ref’s are addictive!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• Mikey272's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 5
Mikey272 Posted 5 years 2 months ago
Hello friends, I have a few more questions .

1-Do any of you fine folks who own goldenear speakers have them plugged into a power conditioner and not the wall socket? Is this a big no no? What percentage of quality do you think you would lose buy not plugging direct to wall.

2- My Chang lighspeed power bar has 4 dedicated digital outlets and 4 analogue, Do I want to plug them into the digital or the analogue.? Please advise.

3- What's the shortest length power chords you can use for the triton references?

Thank you so much for your time. Have a nice day.

• spence's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 15
spence Posted 5 years 2 months ago

Mikey272 wrote: Hello friends, I have a few more questions .

1-Do any of you fine folks who own goldenear speakers have them plugged into a power conditioner and not the wall socket? Is this a big no no? What percentage of quality do you think you would lose buy not plugging direct to wall.

2- My Chang lighspeed power bar has 4 dedicated digital outlets and 4 analogue, Do I want to plug them into the digital or the analogue.? Please advise.

3- What's the shortest length power chords you can use for the triton references?

Thank you so much for your time. Have a nice day.

1. I have the general electronics (amp, preamp, CD player, etc) plugged into a surge suppressor used mainly as an extension cord. I do not use a conditioner because we have very consistent power out here in the country and in the previous 40 years we have had one brownout. There are occasional power losses, but not for significant times.
2. I have no experience with this but it would seem that digital products (DACs, etc.) should go into digital outlets and analogs (turntables) into analog...just a gut feeling.
3. I use the standard power cords for all my equipment, including both Trefs each plugged into a separate outlet, but on the same circuit.
Hope this helps.
Spence
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 5 years 2 months ago

spence wrote: My wife and I had dinner after swimming with my buddy who auditioned the TRefs with me. After dinner he played Dire Straits Brothers in Arms on his B&W 802s. I sounded good. When we got home that night, my wife of 51 years asked to hear the same record on the new TRefs, a surprise for me as she rarely sits and listens (usually music is background for something else). She said it sounded better on the new speakers. Then she asked to hear Simon & Garfunkle, and then Janis. I put on Cheap Thrills. She asked me to turn it up! She NEVER does that. Then she got up and turned it up more!! When we were finished and headed for bed, she said, "Tomorrow night we have to listen to some Beatles."

I am a lucky man.
Spence

Yes you are! I have wondered how the TRefs stack up against the B&Ws. It's good to hear from someone who made a comparison. (Of course, there could have been other components that affected the sound. It's so hard to change only one variable at a time!)
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton 1 r and Refernce questions