question-circle Triton 1 r and Refernce questions

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
charliehatch Posted 5 years 2 months ago

Mikey272 wrote: Hello friends, I have a few more questions .

1-Do any of you fine folks who own goldenear speakers have them plugged into a power conditioner and not the wall socket? Is this a big no no? What percentage of quality do you think you would lose buy not plugging direct to wall.

2- My Chang lighspeed power bar has 4 dedicated digital outlets and 4 analogue, Do I want to plug them into the digital or the analogue.? Please advise.

3- What's the shortest length power chords you can use for the triton references?

Thank you so much for your time. Have a nice day.

Hi Mikey!

1. I have all my equipment (including the TV) plugged into a PS Audio P20 Power Plant (regenerator) that is running off one dedicated 20 A line. The thing has a power meter, and the most I've ever seen while playing floor-shaking bass through the TRefs was just under 500 W. That's in my room with my 300W Class D monoblocks.

2. You want to make sure that any conditioner you plug those speakers into can deliver the current needs of those speaker amps. I would choose the analog side, but it may not matter. Hopefully there is a high current option.

3. I can see no problem with power cords being too short, but I did hear an improvement using 20 A aftermarket power cords. Less DC resistance, I think. The cords I have are 14/3. Got them from Amazon, and I'm running 12 ft cords off my regenerator.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, Mikey272

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mikey272's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 5
Mikey272 Posted 5 years 2 months ago
Greetings friends, I'm very curious to know how far you place your tritron 1 r's from the back wall? Are these speakers known to play best as close to the back wall as possible? Can they play well 5 feet out from the back wall? Thank you for reading.

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 5 years 2 months ago
Mikey,

My TRefs are a little under 4 ft from the front wall and about 3 ft from the side walls, measured to the center of the driver plane. That said, everybody's room is different, and your optimum position will probably be different from mine. All I can suggest is that you experiment and see what sounds best for you.

You can adjust the gain of the sub amplifiers in the speakers to compensate for distance from the walls. I found my system to be quite sensitive to small adjustments in that gain.

It took me months of experimenting before I ended up where I am now, and I'm getting the urge to move them again just to see what happens. :)

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• stereo5's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 201
stereo5 Posted 5 years 1 month ago
I am using 7 gauge power cords and a Shunyata Hydra4 power conditioner. The Shunyata is non current limiting. The bass and dynamics are staggering on my Triton Refs.
Technics SL1200G TT with ZU DL103,, McIntosh c2500 all tube Preamp, Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server, Esoteric UX-3 CD/SACD Player, McIntosh MR88 FM HD Tuner, McIntosh MC302 300wpc amp, GE Triton Reference Speakers, Shunyata Hydra's Power Conditioners & Power Cords, + more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, GDHAL

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 1 month ago

stereo5 wrote: I am using 7 gauge power cords and a Shunyata Hydra4 power conditioner. The Shunyata is non current limiting. The bass and dynamics are staggering on my Triton Refs.

Hey, Stereo5

I have my T Ref's plugged into a separate 20 amp circuit, with up graded 8 gauge power cords , and, yes, staggering bass and dynamics is a good and apt description!!!

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: GDHAL

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 5 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by GDHAL. info_outline

rjohn79395 wrote:
Hey, Stereo5

I have my T Ref's plugged into a separate 20 amp circuit, with up graded 8 gauge power cords , and, yes, staggering bass and dynamics is a good and apt description!!!

Happy listening!

Rick

No doubt.

I have my entire system plugged into a separate 20 amp circuit, with no upgraded power cords , and get staggering bass and dynamics! ;) B) :)
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton 1 r and Refernce questions