file New Triton Reference Speakers

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Moderator Posted 7 years 5 months ago
A lot - which is why it has not been offered on any of the lower priced models. It is more than just a gloss finish too as the cabinet needs significant additional bracing and reinforcing due to its larger size and the lack of the cloth sock to damp cabinet resonances.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Dwight, rjohn79395, T Cobe, fbreynolds

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fbreynolds's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 70
fbreynolds Posted 7 years 5 months ago
Thanks.

I think that is one point that is lost on those who question the additional cost when compared to the Triton One - you are now paying for a piece of nice furniture in addition to the superb speaker (and that is what my dear wife liked!).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dwight, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 7 years 5 months ago

fbreynolds wrote: Does anyone know how much the glossy cabinet on the Reference adds to the price? One of the big selling points for my wife was the move from the sock look to a beautifully finished cabinet.

To an extent, at least in my view, the fact that the sock is no longer used in favor of a piano gloss finish is more than just a beautifully finished cabinet (i.e. cosmetics). As I understand it - albeit I could be mistaken - the omission of the sock also means that the front grill can readily/easily be removed. And if that is the case, the new finish also provides a functional benefit.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

Hmm ... functional benefit? For what?

Anyway, the grille is actually not easily removed as it is required to be affixed in order to pass electrical approvals. It is a "service personnel only should remove" item....

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 7 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Hi Moderator. Thanks for chiming in on my latest comment.

I was led to believe upon watching this video interview

that the front grill can be easily or more readily (as compared to the sock) be removed. I did mention in my previous post I could be mistaken.

As you mention I am mistaken and removal is a "service" activity, then I would not want to remove it.

By removing it, I consider it a functional benefit even if only to be able to visually inspect the drivers (active and passive). For example, you may recall some posts where certain users have reported cases of "loose screws". Hopefully that would not be case, but if it were, accessibility to the screws in order to tighten them would be a functional benefit (IMO).

I actually needed/wanted to do this with a particular screw on one of the T1 passive radiators and I simply wasn't able to get at the screw (easily and without removing the sock entirely or risk it being torn). I then recommended that GET consider changing the screw head from a phillips design to a hex or torx type, in part because there are tools of that type machined at a right angle to allow tightening of an otherwise inaccessible screw.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
OK, yes, the removable grille providing easier access to driver screws for a tighten-up is a valid point for us audio geeks.

But, regarding ease of removal, I'd say maybe just a little easier, if you discount the weight of the much heavier Reference. The grille sock models required removing the base, the top, the grille sock and then about a dozen screws to remove the grille frame and access the drivers from the front. On the Reference one would have to remove the base and then remove the grille assembly - which I believe will require a special tool and an unknown number of screws. I won't know for sure until I take one apart for the first time.

Regarding tightening the passives' lower mounting screws, just slip the grille sock off the front...
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, stereo5, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers New Triton Reference Speakers