file New Triton Reference Speakers

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Hi Pbgalvin, are you charging admission????
That is one way to pay for those new References.
Good idea.
My experience, just a touch less toe in, set just a little wider than aiming directly toward the MLP, one person sweet spot, generally will give pretty good sound for a few more people.
But you will have to experiment, I would guess that other than Sandy, not too many people have played the References for more than one or two people.
Come to think of it, seems like the way they are set up for demonstrations at a show would be very analogous to what you are trying to do. So someone from GEt should be able to answer that.
Happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 7 years 1 month ago

Pbgalvin wrote: Hey folks, wondering about toeing-in the T Refs in my HT setup.
I "know" for a single listener, toeing them in so they essentially point right at the listener is the best.
But for HT frequently there are 2 to 10 other people watching the movie etc.
In that case would toeing-in to the sweet spot decrease the quality of the audio the others are hearing?
I can test it out but wondering if anyone else had, or if there are any opinions.
Thanks!

Actually, spreading them wide apart and toeing them in makes for much better coverage and many more good listening seats outside the center listening position. Sandy loves to explain this to people as it is a common misunderstanding. If you think about the geometry, in the described preferred scenario the listener on the left is actually more off-axis to the closer left speaker, and more on-axis to the further away right speaker. The impact of this sonically is to reduce the level from the closer speaker and increase the level from the further speaker, lessening (or eliminating ) the "I only hear one speaker" complaint from off-axis listeners.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395, fbreynolds

• Pbgalvin's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lovin' GET T1s
    • Thank you received: 633
Pbgalvin Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Hey Wayne, great idea! Actually the friends usually bring wine, so if I add up the value of the wine bottles over time the speakers practically pay for themselves! :-).

Wow moderator, hadn't thought of that. Going to toe in before doing my first critical listening tonight. Will report back.
2 channel -> GeT Ones.R, Rogue RP-7 pre, Kinki Studio B7 Monoblock amps fed by Oppo 105D, SonicTransport, OpticalRendu w/ 200,000 tracks, Rega RP8 w/ Garrott OPTIM S3 FGS Ruby + Sutherland 20/20 phono pre, PS Audio Powerplant 20
HT -> Marantz 7703, Butler Audio T5150 amp, GeT Ref mains
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 7 years 1 month ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: Come to think of it, seems like the way they are set up for demonstrations at a show would be very analogous to what you are trying to do.

Correct Wayne, the Triton Reference were set up pretty much the same way Sandy likes the Triton Ones, etc., as wide apart in the room as possible and toed-in. This typically allows 9 good listening seats in the small GoldenEar CES hotel demo room. (He does "stretch" the functional width of the hotel room a bit by using some acoustic treatments at the side wall first reflection points.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• SilverEar's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 11
SilverEar Posted 7 years 1 month ago
With about 265 hours on the Triton References (continuous running), I had a listening party Saturday night.
First, everything just seems to sound better on them than anything else I've ever heard ( I was present when Wilson Audio introduced their new WAMM system at Garland Audio in San Jose, CA. in the early 80's.) on any system. Second, my original fears came true. These speakers and my system are so clear and clean and dynamic that the type of music I listen too is exposed for all of it's bad recordings. I listen primarily to 60's and 70's Rock & Roll. A lot it thru an external hard drive with mp3 downloads (no vinyl here). Yuch!

I played the newly remastered by Jimmy Page CD's of Led Zeppelin I, II, IV and it sounded like John Bonham was 10-12 feet from me pounding away on his drums. It was so startling I laughed out loud. With the right sources, meaning good recordings on vinyl, SACD, CD or even Reel to Reel, you will never need anything more than these speakers. I would have to say the more power you can afford, the more you should get. Sandy Gross used some of the best amplifiers money can buy when he introduced the References to the world at CES 2017. They deserved that kind of quality to bring out their true potential and show the world what their capable of. And the world has taken notice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Thanks, Moderator Dude

The leftmost seating position in our HT setup is almost directly in front of the left front speaker. With that left speaker toed in toward the center PLP and therefore away from that seat, and the right front speaker toed in more toward the PLP and also that position, I've sat in that leftmost seat to experience what that's like during movies/music. Actually pretty darn good sound dispersion!

Toeing in works, both for the PLP, and the outboard listening positions.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers New Triton Reference Speakers