file New Triton Reference Speakers

• SilverEar's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 11
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
SilverEar Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Thanks Charlie. It seems to me you shouldn't have to wait so long. All the dealers have the speakers in stock or so it seems from their Facebook postings. You need these. Now!!!

You're gonna love 'em.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by GDHAL. info_outline

SilverEar wrote: Hello all you Goldenearites. First time poster here. Second time GoldenEar speaker buyer. I just replaced my Aon 3's with the mighty T-Ref's. I fired them up for the first time 11 days ago, and my first impression was they aren't any louder than the Aon 3's. Geeeez. What's wrong here. They're so big. So, I called the dealer and they didn't think I was getting enough electricity. I didn't really buy this diagnosis. So I called GoldenEar.....

Guess who I talk to? The man, the myth, the legend. Sandy Gross.

I explain what's happening. What gear I have and the changes in gear I made to get ready for the Triton References. He asked me a few questions. I said I was taking the AV Pre-Amp to -10db maximum on the volume control like I always did. He said; "Turn it up louder!!".

That solved my problem. BIG TIME. (Sandy, if you see this post, thank you for your time and help. It worked).

...And boy, is it loud too!

This is tangential to what I reported (halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm) and also talked to Sandy about. I still await an impedance curve. My *suspicion* is they draw a tad bit more current than other GET models. But hey, who cares! ;) In the case of the T1s, I do recall a professional review where the reviewer mentioned an amp capable of driving 4 ohm loads is preferable. Even if that is the case or even more so the case with the Refs, there are plenty of amps up to the task/challenge and that can easily drive them to satisfying levels.

They sound absolutely incredible, bodacious, majestic and so many other accolades. Frankly, I don’t believe there is any other floor standing speaker on the market today that can do bass as well, accurately and with the energy output that the Reference can deliver. Sure, it takes a little nudge on the volume dial to get them there, but once they are in that "zone" they sing as though sound is emanating from a stack of speakers indicative of being at a live concert venue.

Enjoy!
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Yes, SilverEar, be welcome on the team here!!!!
Glad to have you, and we hope very much your new References break in to be all the speakers you wanted and more.
You may even graduate to get some Golden Ears one of these days, ha ha!!!!!
Seriously funny story BTW, I enjoyed that one.
Happy listening, crank em up,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Thanks guys. I have been following both of your comments for several months. I feel like I know Wayne already.

As far as impedance goes, I don't really understand that stuff, but a couple of things in regards to the Triton 1 and Reference, GoldenEar themselves just stated on their Facebook page that if you have McIntosh amps, using the 4 ohm tap was an improvement in sound. Stereophile magazine, as I recall, stated that the Triton 1 would benefit from a good 4 ohm amplifier in their review of it. That comment was what prompted me to look into Pass Labs (Sandy likes them too) for amplification.

Another possible "impedance" problem might be my speaker cables. I have read on another forum that my High Fidelity Ultimate cables have caused people to have to turn the volume up higher than they had with other brands of cables. Needles to say, that big Pass Labs Amp isn't breaking a sweat.

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by GDHAL. info_outline

SilverEar wrote: Thanks guys. I have been following both of your comments for several months. I feel like I know Wayne already.

As far as impedance goes, I don't really understand that stuff, but a couple of things in regards to the Triton 1 and Reference, GoldenEar themselves just stated on their Facebook page that if you have McIntosh amps, using the 4 ohm tap was an improvement in sound. Stereophile magazine, as I recall, stated that the Triton 1 would benefit from a good 4 ohm amplifier in their review of it. That comment was what prompted me to look into Pass Labs (Sandy likes them too) for amplification.

Another possible "impedance" problem might be my speaker cables. I have read on another forum that my High Fidelity Ultimate cables have caused people to have to turn the volume up higher than they had with other brands of cables. Needles to say, that big Pass Labs Amp isn't breaking a sweat.

Anything Pass Labs is certainly magnificent. The thought of buying one of their integrated amps has crossed my mind. In terms of impedance, succinctly speaking this is the resistance your amp "sees". The Refs and the T1s have a nominal impedance rating of 8 ohms, however, the impedance curve as shown from Stereophile reveals it is lower. And to reiterate, I have a suspicion the Refs would be even lower than the T1. The lower it is, the more current the speaker "wants" to draw from the amp and hence the amp has to work that much harder to achieve the same decibel level. Granted, the Refs are slightly more efficient than the T1s so that can help balance things out a bit.

As to cables, I'm not familiar with the cable you are using. However, by far the biggest factor in speaker cabling is resistance. The less, the better. This is why I use a 10 gauge cable (Belden 5T00UP) and rather short length (5 feet) to optimize low resistance.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

GDAHL,

Thanks for helping me understand speaker impedance.
I would like to ask the question to The Moderator with GoldenEar; Would the Triton Reference benefit from a good aftermarket powercord?

And on a little side note, I know a lot of the viewers here are interested in excellent equipment that is affordable like GoldenEar's speakers, such as: Emotiva, Oppo, PrimaLuna, ect...I received an E-mail from Oppo the other day, and they said they're looking into MQA, but nothing in the works as far as hardware changes right now.

And, I cannot stress enough the great sound benefit I got installing an Audioquest Niagara 1000 power conditioner. Another excellent buy towards affordable high end.

Right now, I'm getting ready for a listening party, so it's time to go and "crank it up!"

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers New Triton Reference Speakers