file New Triton Reference Speakers

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
charliehatch Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Moderator Dude,

I'll be the first to admit I'm no expert here.

Before I took the speaker down for repair, when playing pure bass sine tones around 80 - 100 Hz, I could hear distortion harmonics that I could also measure with my smartphone spectrum analyzer app. When I started a tone, a mechanical buzzing sound would start about half a second after the tone started. Now, after servicing and replacement of both bass drivers, the mechanical buzzing is gone, but I can still hear harmonic distortion products coming out of the midrange driver. (Can't remember at the moment if it's coming out of both or just the lower.) The whole thing seems to be associated with bass tones.

I know nothing about the internal architecture in there, so I had been thinking that maybe it's a problem with the crossover or amp board. Maybe I partially fried the amp? But maybe it's a midrange driver thing. I don't know.

I want to be clear that I don't blame GET for what happened. I was doing some testing (to measure distortion, no less, which was very low), and during the process the volume on my DAC/Pre got away from me. It was high only for a second or two. Yet the tweeters seem to be undamaged, even though I'm sure my 200 W amp was clipping. Those babies must be tough.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 7 years 1 month ago

Moderator wrote: ........ They are significantly better than the T1, I've made the comparison many times. No contest.

I agree. But out of respect for T1 owners and the greatness of the T1 itself, I never found it within me to write that. Interesting that you are this candid and blunt. :ohmy:

I can (and will herein) add an additional wow factor that I have at least *some* good reason to believe is the case. @Moderator, please delete this post if I'm inaccurate or off base :lol:

Again, I am *not* stating fact, but am merely conveying what I have at least some good reason to believe.

Golden Ear's achievement with the Triton Reference and the resulting performance level is such that if GET were to decide to "best" the Reference with yet another Triton speaker design of theirs - which of course, they can do - that could mean the now modestly affordable $8,500 goes to $85,000. That's eight thousand five hundred goes to eighty five thousand, in case you thought there was a misprint B)

I will save the *where and why* that additional cost would be needed for another time :whistle:
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

• fbreynolds's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 70
fbreynolds Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Perhaps instructions could be attached to the outside of the crates. My dealer and I were very careful but it was difficult to figure out - we did unpack the second one pretty close to the way it is shown in the video!

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by anthem. info_outline
I don't know what it is, but I seem to have the Best Luck in the world.
Last Thursday (3rd) I ordered the TR'S. Yesterday (8th) they arrived at the Dealer.
Today (9th) I went down to Wichita and paid for them. While I was there, the Owner asked if I would like them delivered today. Would you unbox them too, I asked. Sure thing they said. I asked if they would watch the Unboxing video that Moderator had posted...you bet. They delivered the speakers to the house and unboxed the speakers according to the video. The procedure was flawless. Thanks for posting, Moderator.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 1 month ago
SO, Anthem

Have you played those babies yet? I know you need to break them in and all...

Happy listening!!!!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Moderator. info_outline

GDHAL wrote:

Moderator wrote: ........ They are significantly better than the T1, I've made the comparison many times. No contest.

I agree. But out of respect for T1 owners and the greatness of the T1 itself, I never found it within me to write that. Interesting that you are this candid and blunt. :ohmy:

You are right, that comment would seem to blemish the Triton Ones unnecessarily. My bad. Significantly is very much a subjective word, for many the differences would be insignificant compared to the spectacular Triton One.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers New Triton Reference Speakers