file New Triton Reference Speakers

• stereo5's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 201
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
stereo5 Posted 7 years 1 month ago
I'll chime in here if I may. I had my References for about 10 days with maybe 8 hours on them. I sat down to listen after setting my volume control at the usual volume setting (marked in db), and was playing "Welcome To The Machine" by Pink Floyd. I thought to myself that it seemed extra loud and when I used my spl meter via my phone, I found I was getting short peaks of 102db!! I realized then my error as the References are more efficient than my Triton 1. I felt a little foolish, but I think it did help break in the subwoofers. "Don't try this at home kids."
Technics SL1200G TT with ZU DL103,, McIntosh c2500 all tube Preamp, Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server, Esoteric UX-3 CD/SACD Player, McIntosh MR88 FM HD Tuner, McIntosh MC302 300wpc amp, GE Triton Reference Speakers, Shunyata Hydra's Power Conditioners & Power Cords, + more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• elubow's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 30
elubow Posted 7 years 1 month ago
So has your opinion changed? Do you still think they're bright in the upper end? How do you feel they compare to the Triton Ones? Are you happy with your purchase?
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Thanks, Moderator Dude!

Makes me (and for sure Anthem) feel better about crankin' early and often!

I'll do that with the TR's.

Have at it, Anthem!!! Let us know what you're hearing with the TR's let loose! :)

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• stereo5's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 201
stereo5 Posted 7 years 1 month ago
They are continuing to smooth out. I am taking delivery of a Conrad-Johnson MF2550 which is a 250wpc power amp, and less than a year old. I hope it matches well with the rest of the system. I'll know more after this weekend.
Technics SL1200G TT with ZU DL103,, McIntosh c2500 all tube Preamp, Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server, Esoteric UX-3 CD/SACD Player, McIntosh MR88 FM HD Tuner, McIntosh MC302 300wpc amp, GE Triton Reference Speakers, Shunyata Hydra's Power Conditioners & Power Cords, + more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 1 month ago

Moderator wrote: .... there are lots of opinions on speaker break-in. I can share mine, but outside of that discussion there is no reason not to push the speakers during break-in. It will actually speed the process and you simply cannot hurt anything as long as your amplifier is not overdriven into distortion.

Moderator Dude, I'd think we ALL would love to have your share your opinions on speaker break-in in general.. The things I've read about include "burn-in" of the electronics, and loosening up of the drives, spiders, cones (even softening up of the cone material)...

Anything you can share from your years of experience breaking in speakers of many types/brands would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 1 month ago
I am happy you guys now know you can crank it up some while you break in your speakers.
Bro Anthem, are you playing them with the little Zen Tori????? How many watts? Which tubes are you using?
I know the Refs are supposed to be efficient, but how loudly will they play with such a small amp?
Let us know how you are getting along?
Have fun boys,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers New Triton Reference Speakers