• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

SilverEar wrote: With about 265 hours on the Triton References (continuous running), I had a listening party Saturday night.
First, everything just seems to sound better on them than anything else I've ever heard ( I was present when Wilson Audio introduced their new WAMM system at Garland Audio in San Jose, CA. in the early 80's.) on any system. Second, my original fears came true. These speakers and my system are so clear and clean and dynamic that the type of music I listen too is exposed for all of it's bad recordings. I listen primarily to 60's and 70's Rock & Roll. A lot it thru an external hard drive with mp3 downloads (no vinyl here). Yuch!

I played the newly remastered by Jimmy Page CD's of Led Zeppelin I, II, IV and it sounded like John Bonham was 10-12 feet from me pounding away on his drums. It was so startling I laughed out loud. With the right sources, meaning good recordings on vinyl, SACD, CD or even Reel to Reel, you will never need anything more than these speakers. I would have to say the more power you can afford, the more you should get. Sandy Gross used some of the best amplifiers money can buy when he introduced the References to the world at CES 2017. They deserved that kind of quality to bring out their true potential and show the world what their capable of. And the world has taken notice.

Great report, SilverEar!

Tried a response earlier, don't know where it went. Yes, with great speakers, garbage in garbage out. They do play everything, the good the bad and the ugly. My good friend T Cobe started a thread about his T1's, called "Nowhere to hide".

But when you feed those GEt babies good stuff, well, shock and ahh, as Anthem says.. :)

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Well said SilverEar!!!!!
That was a good read!!!
I too love the old Rock and Roll Classics, but they are not gonna sound the greatest, that is for sure.
To me there are 2 or 3 kinds of listening to music. One is just for the fun of the music, and those classics will always sound great, even on MP3 and even in a car or on a Walkman with ear buds, however. Your brain fills in what is not actually being played, you already know and love the music. Same as you hear the whole band playing along when you are singing in the shower.
Two is careful, some call it "critical" listening, though I don't really like that term. (There is probably a 3rd kind of listening to "background" music, I don't count that as listening at all, YMMV).
When listening carefully you need your whole system hitting on all cylinders, from a good to GREAT source (you left Blu Ray audio and other Hi Res sources off your list, don't forget it, some of the best recorded sound is on these beauties, including amazing concerts) like you mentioned. Pre-amp/Processor, amps, cables and all come together to sound like an outstanding system through our Reference (and I will add here GEt Triton Ones and the whole series) speakers.
It is synergy we are looking for here. So we are not looking at one component and saying it is no good, not up to snuff, not good enough to play through such a revealing system (though of course some components are NOT good enough), it may be that such component is simply not fitting in, detracting from the synergy of the whole playing its best.
For instance, I have some great silver speaker cables, but when I got the Ones I found the sound too bright. When I went with MIT cables, which are warmer, now the synergy is back, just right.
Everybody enjoy!!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 7 years 1 month ago
I've had my TR's for 5 days. I have 7 1/2 hrs. on them (i know, i know) Out of respect for my wife I do not wish to subject her to "The Break-in Process". Would the Decware Zen Torii mk4 rated at 25 wpc driven at full power be to much at this particular time?
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

anthem wrote: I've had my TR's for 5 days. I have 7 1/2 hrs. on them (i know, i know) Out of respect for my wife I do not wish to subject her to "The Break-in Process". Would the Decware Zen Torii mk4 rated at 25 wpc driven at full power be to much at this particular time?

Great question, Anthem

I suspect we all wonder some about how much SL to push and how soon during breakin. In terms of db's I guess I'd be feeling safe running in the 75-85 db range by now. There's lots of breakin theories out there for most any audio component. My biggest concern has been not to over push the drivers/cones while they're loosening up.

Maybe Moderator Dude can shed some light on the subject specific to GEt speakers?

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 7 years 1 month ago

rjohn79395 wrote: [I suspect we all wonder some about how much SL to push and how soon during breakin. In terms of db's I guess I'd be feeling safe running in the 75-85 db range by now. There's lots of breakin theories out there for most any audio component. My biggest concern has been not to over push the drivers/cones while they're loosening up.

Maybe Moderator Dude can shed some light on the subject specific to GEt speakers?

Rick

As you said, there are lots of opinions on speaker break-in. I can share mine, but outside of that discussion there is no reason not to push the speakers during break-in. It will actually speed the process and you simply cannot hurt anything as long as your amplifier is not overdriven into distortion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Bless You, Moderator...that's exactly what I wanted to hear.
Let's Get Crankin!!
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers New Triton Reference Speakers