• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by anthem. info_outline
Hey Guys:
Every morning I try to put in a short 30 minute listening session. This morning I was listening to Jon Faddis and his over the top trumpet. The TR'S rendered this beautifully, so much so, that I told the Wife I didn't want to go to work. I would have been happy listening to Jon and his trumpet all day long. The TR'S are amazing speakers, I heard no trace of harshness on this cd. Bass was more pronounced then I've heard through the T2's and all instruments had a clearer presentation.

Wayne: the Decware Zen Torii mk4 is what I was using this morning. 25 watts and ballsy watts at that. I was listening in the 80-90db range with power to spare. With the TR'S high efficiency, the Torii makes a great, highly transparent amp. I'm using Tung-sol 34's and Phillips 5R4GYS Rectifiers.

Yesterday I experimented with the Emotiva xpa-1's and Primaluna Premium Preamp.
Just my opinion, but the xpa'1 just don't have the Transparency that the Torii has, so back to the Torii I go. The loudest I've had either amp is 94db...so far.

Rick: I heard you mention you might pick up an ATI Amp...which one?

Jon Faddis -- Hey, Lalo!
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, Rackon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Good report Bro Anthem and others. The 34s are so sweet sounding!!!!
A guy in S'pore that I think is a bit of an expert about what sounds great told me once that the key was really efficient speakers that can take advantage of great tube amps and play loud enough to really enjoy that PURE tube power.
So you and Stereo5 (with your new amp coming, which should be killer!) may very well be onto something with pairing great tube amps with the References.
I can't remember who else is trying to do that, pls forgive me for leaving anybody out.
I am admittedly too much of a bass head so that I have never had that much joy with pure tube amplification. Which is the reason I went with hybrid tube/transistor amps.
Still the powered bass of our beloved Tritons are what makes for a more than satisfying bass response even when using tubes.
AND helps VERY much to make the Triton towers as efficient as they are.
I am just cheering on the toob boys, but I am sure those of you who are going with transistors and switching amps will also be in hog heaven with your new speakers as well. Please report more.
Happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, Rackon

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 1 month ago

anthem wrote:
Rick: I heard you mention you might pick up an ATI Amp...which one?

Hi, Anthem

Yes I've got an AT525NC on order. It's a new design, 5 channel, 200 wpc class D amp and uses the licensed Hypex N-Core technology, same as NAD Masters series amps (like the M22 and M27), and others.

I'll plug it in about when I install the TR's. If I like it, it stays. Good reviews, one reviewer (Sound and Vision), replaced his Parasound Halo A51 reference amp with the AT52XNC's he reviewed, as his new reference amps. We'll see. With the T1's moving to the surround positions, I wanted to replace the NAD stereo amp I have, and provide better amp support for both the T1's as surrounds, and for the SCXXL, in addition to of course good coverage for the TR's..

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, Rackon

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 7 years 1 month ago

rjohn79395 wrote: Moderator Dude, I'd think we ALL would love to have your share your opinions on speaker break-in in general.. The things I've read about include "burn-in" of the electronics, and loosening up of the drives, spiders, cones (even softening up of the cone material)...

Anything you can share from your years of experience breaking in speakers of many types/brands would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Rick

As long as the engineer-types on the forum don't get upset ... these are my opinions based on experience and the technical knowledge I do have. And I can say that break-in is much more pronounced on highly resolving speakers, as you might expect.

These are the (only) components of speaker break-in (I believe exist):

1) Film Capacitors: Not used in lower priced speakers so also part of the reason lower end stuff doesn't change much with break-in. The "healing" process of the film changes the dielectric absorption which is heard as a smoothing of upper midrange and lower treble frequencies. On a high resolution speaker, this is I believe one of the most significant sonic changes. It can take up to 100 hours or more. Polystyrene takes the longest, polypropylene next, and have the most significant impact. Mylar and electrolytics, not much change at all.

2) Driver Material Flexibility: Surrounds and spiders have to stretch a little bit to reach their full mobility (loosen up, if you will). This has the most impact on bass and lower midrange frequencies and usually occurs within 10-20 hours of serious playing time. This is the main reason the bass gets louder the first few hours you play the speakers and may find yourself turning the bass level down a bit several times during the first few weeks.

3) Internal speaker wires: Cables break-in as the dielectric "heals", similar to item 1, but not as significant

4) On our powered bass speakers: Like any electronics, they sound better after they've warmed up and been used for awhile. Because this is low frequency only section, the effects are not overly dramatic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395, charliehatch, Rackon

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by Moderator. info_outline

Moderator wrote: As long as the engineer-types on the forum don't get upset ... these are my opinions based on experience and the technical knowledge I do have. And I can say that break-in is much more pronounced on highly resolving speakers, as you might expect.

These are the (only) components of speaker break-in (I believe exist):

1) Film Capacitors: Not used in lower priced speakers so also part of the reason lower end stuff doesn't change much with break-in. The "healing" process of the film changes the dielectric absorption which is heard as a smoothing of upper midrange and lower treble frequencies. On a high resolution speaker, this is I believe one of the most significant sonic changes. It can take up to 100 hours or more. Polystyrene takes the longest, polypropylene next, and have the most significant impact. Mylar and electrolytics, not much change at all.

2) Driver Material Flexibility: Surrounds and spiders have to stretch a little bit to reach their full mobility (loosen up, if you will). This has the most impact on bass and lower midrange frequencies and usually occurs within 10-20 hours of serious playing time. This is the main reason the bass gets louder the first few hours you play the speakers and may find yourself turning the bass level down a bit several times during the first few weeks.

3) Internal speaker wires: Cables break-in as the dielectric "heals", similar to item 1, but not as significant

4) On our powered bass speakers: Like any electronics, they sound better after they've warmed up and been used for awhile. Because this is low frequency only section, the effects are not overly dramatic.

First time I've tried to do a quote in a post; hope I didn't screw it up.

Moderator Dude, thanks for a great summary about break in. I'm an engineer, although Mechanical in flavor, and I think you're right on. Your discussion fits with cable break in too, something I've had a lot of experience with.

A question for you. I'm waiting for my TRefs to arrive, and I'm thinking seriously of upgrading my amp to the Bel Canto Ref600M monoblocks. 300 Wpc Class D. Do you know of any reason why this might be a bad match?

Thanks,

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, Rackon

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Hey Charlie,
I am with you, I don't know that secret either, I never even tried, so you are ahead of me.
I know you axed the Moderator Dude, but do you mind if I chime in about the Bel Cantos?
I know Bel Canto from back in their tube days, and I am listening with a Bel Canto eVo 6 playing my surround speakers for me now. That was their first venture into Class D amps, then they went with the ice based amps, now the n core hypex as I am sure you know. K. Rubinson gives them a great review, and I trust his reviews, I know you must have read it.
What I am saying is that Bel Canto is a great company, which believes their new amps are BETTER than TUBES.
So I am guessing, though I have not heard those particular amps, they must be killer amps.
They should make the T Refs sing, and the fact they are said to be just on the warm side will probably be a great synergistic match with the T Refs.
I would say, if you have that kind of money, number one, I need you to adopt me!!!!!
And, number two, go for it Sir!!!!
Enjoy!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, Rackon

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers New Triton Reference Speakers