file New Triton Reference Speakers

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 4 weeks ago
This might be a great buy for now, save some money for music/movies, and then you can upgrade later.

www.audiogon.com/listings/processors-yam...7-08-11-home-theater

God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• stereo5's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 201
stereo5 Posted 7 years 4 weeks ago
I concur with wayne. That used Yamaha receiver may be just the ticket to get you started and the price is certainly very right. With 140wpc the speakers should sound decent enough for now. You can always upgrade later on as funds get replenished.
Technics SL1200G TT with ZU DL103,, McIntosh c2500 all tube Preamp, Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server, Esoteric UX-3 CD/SACD Player, McIntosh MR88 FM HD Tuner, McIntosh MC302 300wpc amp, GE Triton Reference Speakers, Shunyata Hydra's Power Conditioners & Power Cords, + more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• hot_rod's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 45
hot_rod Posted 7 years 4 weeks ago
Last edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by hot_rod. info_outline
Thanks all for going to the trouble, though that model for sale is 7 yrs old (3000 vs the current 3070, they go up by 10 year year in that series 30XX). It lacks the MusicCast wireless streaming and linking that is the main reason I would go Yamaha again in the first place. You can add a separate streaming box (e.g. www.crutchfield.com/p_022WXC50DS/Yamaha-WXC-50.html - lots of reviews from ppl who have separates using this to add wireless streaming, as a wireless pre-amp), but if I bought the old model and the separate box I may as well buy this year or last year's models which have MusicCast plus other video-related bells and whistles (4K, etc).

I have never splurged on gear like this before, it was already a big deal to be considering the 2+ series over other things (honestly my old Paradigm Monitor 11s sounded great, and could be replaced for $1500/pair). But man did the demoing win me over, TRef sounded so good. So now I am in that awkward part where I need to spend more to get the performance out of the TRefs to justify their original purchase! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 7 years 4 weeks ago
Last edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by GDHAL. info_outline
@Moderator,

The Frequency Response specification of the Reference is listed as 12 Hz - 35 kHz, however, there is no mention of within how many +/- db. Are you able to provide the tolerance? If so, please do. Idea behind my question is to understand how "flat" the response is. Thanks.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

• Pbgalvin's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lovin' GET T1s
    • Thank you received: 633
Pbgalvin Posted 7 years 4 weeks ago
Well after break-in, the T Refs while great sounded, weren't "wow"ing me. I thought they had more to give, and figured my
components were the limiter (Marantz 7701, Outlaw 770 amp).
Heard about the Butler tube-based 5 channel amp, and their home trial offer of allowing return, so decided to give it
a try given I love the tube-based Rogue Medusa in my 2 channel setup.
Also trying different speaker cables but more about that some other time.

As a test put in the 75th tanglewood anniversary bluray: www.amazon.com/Tanglewood-75th-Anniversa...lu-ray/dp/B00CX7EK7M

Here is a sample:

Yowza the setup sounds good. Especially loved Copeland's fanfare with the huge tympani plus brass, Mutter's violin, and the choir on the last piece.

Then put on Enders Game (4K bluray) (talk about an odd couple). Very satisfying boomy stuff going on, not much music to judge by.

Overall ecstatic on my first listens to the new speakers and setup.

Still on my list is upgrading the marantz, probably to the emotiva xmc-1 so I can apply good room calibration. Now that it sounds this great though not in a big hurry.

So, happy camper so far over here!
2 channel -> GeT Ones.R, Rogue RP-7 pre, Kinki Studio B7 Monoblock amps fed by Oppo 105D, SonicTransport, OpticalRendu w/ 200,000 tracks, Rega RP8 w/ Garrott OPTIM S3 FGS Ruby + Sutherland 20/20 phono pre, PS Audio Powerplant 20
HT -> Marantz 7703, Butler Audio T5150 amp, GeT Ref mains
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 4 weeks ago
Last edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by WayneWilmeth. Reason: mo info_outline
Hey Pbgalvin,
I have that 75th Anniversary Tanglewood blu ray too and love it. Good stuff!!!
Is that the Butler 5150?
I had not heard of this, so looked it up. It is rather industrial looking, but very clean on the back.
The write up I saw did not say, but it has to be a hybrid amp, tubes and transistors. I say that because of the power rating, it is so high for tubes (I don't know those tubes though) and I see the massive heat sinks, which always means transistors. Which is great, that is what I use, the Vincent hybrid tube/transistor amps, (SP-T800).
When I read about that Butler 5150 it sounds exciting/great, wonder why more people do not go that way?
And I use the Emo XMC-1 which I highly recommend. You will not be disappointed, I feel sure.
I think you are in the middle of doing some exciting things there, and I am sure it will pay off in spades musically for you!!!!
Have fun with it, happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers New Triton Reference Speakers