file New Triton Reference Speakers

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Moderator Posted 7 years 3 weeks ago

ArthurDaniels wrote: Mr. Moderator,

Why do you advise against using the "A" + "B" speaker capability with Triton speakers?

Thanks,

Art

A + B parallels the two loads, resulting in a load to the amplifier of likely below 3 ohms, which will cause most amplifiers to overheat, shutdown, distort, or fail altogether... besides the fact that the answer was regarding speakers in two zones and A + B is not the right way to do that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fbreynolds's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 70
fbreynolds Posted 7 years 3 weeks ago
Charlie Hatch:
The plot for sub is the plot using the LFE input to the Reference. The speaker diagram is plotted using the speaker inputs to the Ref without the LFE.

Moderator:
Thanks for the 500 Hz suggestion. After a few more hours of break-in I plan to run ARC again. We have also put down a rug in the room so the acoustics have changed.
My question is what does dB SPL Level mean to the listener? The level is about at 75 dB at 20 Hz but it is down to about 55 dB at 15 Hz. This leads to two questions: Does that mean the sound is just much lower at 15 Hz (I assume the measurement tells you exactly how much difference there is too)? Can a normal person even hear 15 Hz?

And a question about the SuperCenter XXL: the high frequency driver is about 27 inches from the floor. I assume I should angle the speaker so it points to ear level at the prime listening location. Right?

And for the TRefs:
At what height is the HVFR? Should the speaker be angled down to point at ear level?

Thanks,
fred

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 7 years 3 weeks ago
Mr. Moderator,

My understanding is that the Triton series of speakers are nominally rated at 8 ohms impedance. If so, then paralleling two pairs of Triton speakers, connected as "A" and "B" speakers would result in a nominal load of 4 ohms to the amplifier.

Therefore, I am curious as to why you have stated that two pair of Triton speakers would result in a nominal load of less than 3 ohms.

Thanks,

Art

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 3 weeks ago
Bro Art,
Triton speakers are only "nominally" 8 ohms, which means in real life, under musical loads, the impedance drops down to around 6, 4, perhaps even lower once in a while. This is true of MOST "nominally" 8 ohm speakers.
Indeed, some where here it was recommended to use a 4 ohm or 6 ohm tap IF you have one for the TRefs, or Ones, I don't remember. So those numbers must be more realistic for real life playing.
The "nominal" rating just tells folks they can hook these speakers up to "normal" amps without worry.
Nothing new here.
Hope this helps,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 7 years 3 weeks ago
Hi Wayne,

Thanks for your comments. I am aware of the possible variations in impedance loading - which is why I asked the Moderator to provide some additional information about Triton speakers in this area.

Many amplifiers and receivers provide "A" and "B" speaker capability. Some of them permit both "A" and "B" speakers to be operated simultaneously, while others permit either "A" or "B" only.

My Cambridge 851A permits either "A" or "B" and both "A" and "B" together. In the Cambridge manual, there is a statement that calls for speakers with nominal 16 ohm impedance if two pair are to be operated simultaneously. I contacted Cambridge and specifically asked about running two pair of nominally 8-ohm impedance speakers simultaneously. Cambridge's response was an unqualified OK to do so, accompanied by a comment to the effect that a nominal 4-ohm impedance load would pose no problems.

Thus, my request to the Moderator to provide some additional impedance information about the Triton series.

Best,

Art

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 7 years 3 weeks ago

fbreynolds wrote: My question is what does dB SPL Level mean to the listener? The level is about at 75 dB at 20 Hz but it is down to about 55 dB at 15 Hz. This leads to two questions: Does that mean the sound is just much lower at 15 Hz (I assume the measurement tells you exactly how much difference there is too)? Can a normal person even hear 15 Hz?

And a question about the SuperCenter XXL: the high frequency driver is about 27 inches from the floor. I assume I should angle the speaker so it points to ear level at the prime listening location. Right?

And for the TRefs:
At what height is the HVFR? Should the speaker be angled down to point at ear level?

Thanks,
fred

SPL is volume, plain and simple. Response below 20Hz is probably not measured well by the microphone/correction data. You cannot hear below 20 Hz, but you can feel it.

Yes, point the SuperCenter toward ear level if it is too low, that's why the adjustable feet are included.

The tweeter is at about 40" from the bottom of the base. It is not likely you would need to change the rake of the Triton Reference unless you are sitting very close and in a position that puts your ears well above or below normal seated position.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, fbreynolds

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers New Triton Reference Speakers