file New Triton Reference Speakers

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
charliehatch Posted 7 years 3 weeks ago

hot_rod wrote: Spotify is usually 320 kbps as highest quality but the yamaha says it is reading it as PCM, I can't find anything on the internet about this as I thought PCM was lossless. Spotify was testing a higher res version so maybe it was getting fed to the Yamaha too now?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. After some research it looks to me like Spotify streams mp3, which is lossy. 320 kbps mp3 is very good lossy, which is why it has been so successful for the non-high-end crowd. My guess is that hi-fi Tidal has it beat on streaming quality as FLAC files are lossless.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hot_rod's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 45
hot_rod Posted 7 years 3 weeks ago
Last edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by Moderator. info_outline

charliehatch wrote:

hot_rod wrote: Spotify is usually 320 kbps as highest quality but the yamaha says it is reading it as PCM, I can't find anything on the internet about this as I thought PCM was lossless. Spotify was testing a higher res version so maybe it was getting fed to the Yamaha too now?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. After some research it looks to me like Spotify streams mp3, which is lossy. 320 kbps mp3 is very good lossy, which is why it has been so successful for the non-high-end crowd. My guess is that hi-fi Tidal has it beat on streaming quality as FLAC files are lossless.

Charlie

I agree that Spotify is normally is supposed to stream MP3....but if that was the case I am not sure why the yamaha would be telling me it is PCM 44.1 (per screenshot above) in its musiccast app. Spotify was apparently testing a high-res product earlier this year to counter Tidal (and charge more - LINK HERE ), so I am wondering if somehow I am tapped into that quality? I have my account set to the 'PCM is supposed to be uncompressed. I did a bunch of web searching and could not find anyone mentioning Spotify and PCM, so maybe we are trailblazing here? Anyhow, both sound great on the TRefs, and I would definitely do a trial, heck I'd do a Spotify trial too if the Oppo allows it --- I am interested to see your thoughts on the sound quality of streaming services output through your higher end system w/ TRefs!

I hope spotify formalizes the lossless soon (though maybe I get it right now anyhow?) as the integration of their own native app to control the receiver is way less clunky than how Tidal depends on the Yamaha app.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
hot_rod,

Maybe that is what they are up to. If they're streaming full resolution PCM, then it's going to hog more bandwidth than flac. Maybe they are.

One of the reasons I hesitate to stream Tidal on my Oppo is that the Oppo (105D) app interfaces are clunky and slooooowwww. Click. Wait. Click. Wait. When I got my Samsung TV, it has Netflix, YouTube, and Berlin Phil apps, and the interface is much faster.

Not all app players are created equal, unfortunately.

But I guess I'll have to try it anyway. I am curious.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers

• hot_rod's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 45
hot_rod Posted 7 years 3 weeks ago
Last edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by hot_rod. info_outline
I tried to dig more into this. I can't find a USB drive to try an MP3 and test for sure. But in the only other detail screen I can find, Tidal is showing as FLAC 44.1kHz/16 bit and Spotify is showing as PCM 44.1kHz/16 bit, nary an MP3 in sight as far as I can see!

you could also consider a Bluenode 2 ($499 www.crutchfield.com/p_813NODE2B/Bluesound-Node-2-Black.html ) - 60 day return period at Crutchfield. This thing can decode the MQA format that Tidal Masters uses for higher quality even than the FLAC (supposedly). You could still use your Vega DAC.

support.bluesound.com/hc/en-us/articles/...luesound-Support-MQA

www.mqa.co.uk/customer/how-it-works

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 3 weeks ago
Well hot_rod, you are on a GREAT track, not sure about all the ins and outs of your streaming music. But as long as it sounds good to you, then ENJOY!!!!
One of these days, later on, when you have time and money, have built up the bank acct. again after that big TRef Christmas present you bought you and your wife, you might want to feed them an even higher quality signal with Some Hi Res music.
The streaming you are talking about now at 16/44.1 is sorta the minimum you will want to play through your TRefs, that is CD quality music. But there is better quality out there on SACD, DVD-Audio and especially on BLU-RAYS!!!!!
I would love to hear a great concert on Blu-ray played on your TRefs!!!!
I just finished 2 such concerts on my Ones and the sound just blows me away!!!!
Enjoy boys,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

hot_rod wrote: I tried to dig more into this. I can't find a USB drive to try an MP3 and test for sure. But in the only other detail screen I can find, Tidal is showing as FLAC 44.1kHz/16 bit and Spotify is showing as PCM 44.1kHz/16 bit, nary an MP3 in sight as far as I can see!

you could also consider a Bluenode 2 ($499)

Maybe it's the real thing!

Thanks, hot_rod. I've been watching that Bluesound beastie. I'll dig some more.

Charlie
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers New Triton Reference Speakers