file New Triton Reference Speakers

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Moderator Posted 7 years 3 weeks ago
Last edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by Moderator. info_outline

ArthurDaniels wrote: Mr. Moderator,

My understanding is that the Triton series of speakers are nominally rated at 8 ohms impedance. If so, then paralleling two pairs of Triton speakers, connected as "A" and "B" speakers would result in a nominal load of 4 ohms to the amplifier.

Therefore, I am curious as to why you have stated that two pair of Triton speakers would result in a nominal load of less than 3 ohms.

Thanks,

Art

See Wayne's comment. And I didn't say two pair of Tritons, I said a pair of Tritons and ANY other speaker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 7 years 3 weeks ago
Hi Folks,

Time for an update on my TRefs. I have about 60 hours on them, but during the break in process I changed amps (16 hours on them now). So, I've changed two variables at once, not the best scientific method. I'm still breaking in speakers and amps, but I think I'm probably 90% of the way there. Things will probably change some more, but I doubt by a lot. (I think you can tell when you have enough break in when you stop worrying about break in and start listening for fun. I’m listening for fun now.)

The TRefs and the Bel Canto Ref600M monoblocks are a fantastic combination. The amps are rated at 300 W into 8 ohms, 600 into 4, and have a rated minimum of 2 ohms! So even if the TRefs have 3 ohm impedance minima like the T1s, these amps can keep up. And keep up they do. My previous amp sounded great at low to moderate volumes, but ran out of steam in dense music, sounding edgy and brittle. The Bel Cantos never lose their cool and perform better overall. (Stereophile has a review of these amps online, and the latest issue has another positive follow up review by different reviewer. These reviews convinced me to buy, and I have not been disappointed.)

The TRefs have superb, sharply focused imaging (the speakers have literally disappeared) and deep sound stage depth. Everything sounds like you are right THERE. Or the instruments are right HERE, in front of me. I've played all kinds of music, and nothing fazes them. They have sweet highs and deep, well-integrated lows, and this astounding sense of presence. Musical beyond belief.

I can say that the TRefs are a significant step up from the T1s in every way I can hear. The Bel Canto amps have made them even better. Yesterday afternoon I listened for four hours straight to classical orchestral, chorus, jazz, rock...I couldn't stop, and the sound was not the least fatiguing. I could have gone on for longer, but an audio-savvy friend came over to hear the system. After a few hours of listening, he was also impressed.

I ain't no audiophile reviewer, and, sure, there are probably better things out there, but I think any improvement from this level would only be incremental and cost a much larger amount of money. I think what I'm hearing compares well with the $250k system I heard a while back. I’m not sure I could tell the difference.

I do highly recommend these speakers and these amps!
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 3 weeks ago
Last edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by WayneWilmeth. Reason: sp info_outline
Great Charlie,
My goodness, your system has come a VERY long way in a short time!!!!
GREAT, good for you Sir!!!!
Well done, I sure do wish I could sit down at your house and have a listen!!!!
Enjoy!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 7 years 3 weeks ago

charliehatch wrote:
....The TRefs and the Bel Canto Ref600M monoblocks are a fantastic combination....

...The TRefs have superb, sharply focused imaging (the speakers have literally disappeared) and deep sound stage depth. Everything sounds like you are right THERE. Or the instruments are right HERE, in front of me. I've played all kinds of music, and nothing fazes them. They have sweet highs and deep, well-integrated lows, and this astounding sense of presence. Musical beyond belief....

I can say that the TRefs are a significant step up from the T1s in every way I can hear....

...I ain't no audiophile reviewer, and, sure, there are probably better things out there, but I think any improvement from this level would only be incremental and cost a much larger amount of money. I think what I'm hearing compares well with the $250k system I heard a while back. I’m not sure I could tell the difference.

I do highly recommend these speakers and these amps!

I echo the same experience, albeit I have a Musical Fidelity M6si. Not a slouch amp by any means and it pairs rather well with the T Refs, IMHO. I do have another upgrade forthcoming though.... schiit yggdrasil DAC :cheer:

@charliehatch very glad to read all the positive T Ref experiences from you and others on the forum :)
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, charliehatch

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 7 years 3 weeks ago
GDHAL,

I'm glad we agree! What made you decide on the DAC you're getting?
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 7 years 3 weeks ago

charliehatch wrote: GDHAL,

I'm glad we agree! What made you decide on the DAC you're getting?

Numerous factors. Keep in mind that like the T Refs, I had/have no way to audition the Yggdrasil DAC prior to the purchase. However, at least in the case of the T Ref I had my own experience with the T1 to draw upon. As to the Yggy, I spent months (literally, plural) reading virtually every piece of information I could find on the Internet. That involved reading all professional reviews in addition to forums and person email communications with a few owners (one of which lives close to their brick and mortal locale and has visited the store front). I also had about a dozen email communications (Schiit doesn't do telephone, which I dislike) between their tech support and sales staff. All responses were genuine and prompt. I also followed their web site status over the past few months. I also considered alternatives, many of which were more expensive. Consideration of alternatives also included months of reading and speaking to other manufacturers (in particular Benchmark).

In the end, I felt the price point (2300) should make for a great overall DAC value as well as being commensurate in value with my other system components. I believe (generally speaking, of course there are exceptions) speakers should be the most expensive component. So while I'm fortunate to be able to afford a LampizatOr Big 7, I simply couldn't justify it. Also, in the case of the LampizatOr, they are overseas which gives me zero recourse should an issue arise. Like Schiit, there is no dealer network.

In the case of Schiit, I asked my dealer (a GET dealer) to contact them with the idea of buying in bulk. Honestly, I would prefer to use a local dealer in this case. Schiit did not return their call either.

One last thing which bears repeating. Multibit, multibit, multibit. I have three delta sigma DACS and have "subscribed to" and otherwise "bought into" Mike Moffat's (and others) claim that digital "perfection"can only be achieved via multibit R2R ladder DACS. I shall see/hear :)
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, charliehatch

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers New Triton Reference Speakers