• Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lovin' GET T1s
    • Thank you received: 633
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Pbgalvin Posted 7 years 4 weeks ago
Hey Wayne,

Yes, Butler 5150. Yes hybrid.
Yes I wondered the same thing and asked them why there aren't more reviews etc. They implied they don't advertise etc and just sell by word of mouth. Perhaps they have limited resources to build kit etc and have as much biz as they can handle. Anyway excellent dealing with them, built when ordered, broken in and tweaked before shipped, etc. But the proof is in the sound which so far is top notch.

Thanks on the Emo, I think you were the one who prodded me to have a look when I was considering options. Will be interesting to hear it all together!
2 channel -> GeT Ones.R, Rogue RP-7 pre, Kinki Studio B7 Monoblock amps fed by Oppo 105D, SonicTransport, OpticalRendu w/ 200,000 tracks, Rega RP8 w/ Garrott OPTIM S3 FGS Ruby + Sutherland 20/20 phono pre, PS Audio Powerplant 20
HT -> Marantz 7703, Butler Audio T5150 amp, GeT Ref mains
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 7 years 4 weeks ago

GDHAL wrote: @Moderator,

The Frequency Response specification of the Reference is listed as 12 Hz - 35 kHz, however, there is no mention of within how many +/- db. Are you able to provide the tolerance? If so, please do. Idea behind my question is to understand how "flat" the response is. Thanks.

Sandy doesn't believe in publishing frequency response specs, he allows what is shown on the lit and website and nothing more. He is always concerned people will use the specs to make a decision about how a speaker sounds and he doesn't want that to happen with GoldenEar. That said, the magazines (Stereophile, Soundstage!, Secrets) do full blown measurements typically, so that's going to be your best source for +/- numbers. And that's not saying they are correct, just that they are there (we believe most of the standard tests they use do not measure bass performance accurately).

Based upon in-room frequency sweeps, I'd say the speaker is within +/- 1dB of a target in-room response through the 150-1500 Hz range (the only range that really matters in terms of a +/- spec). The 35kHz is the 3dB down point for the HVFR tweeter. As far as bass goes, I can only go so far as to say they measure room-flat to 20 Hz, and at a good output level.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• fbreynolds's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 70
fbreynolds Posted 7 years 3 weeks ago
This is the output from Anthem Room Correction (ARC) on my Anthem MRX 1120 on the day the Reference speakers were installed. I don't understand the chart and I am not sure how well ARC measures frequencies below 20 Hz. However, it may give you a general idea of the response of a brand new Reference.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, charliehatch

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 7 years 3 weeks ago
fbreynolds,

I see plots for speaker and subwoofer. Do you have a separate sub in your system? The uncorrected speaker response goes amazingly low, and I can see your room modes in there.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• hot_rod's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 45
hot_rod Posted 7 years 3 weeks ago
Last edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by hot_rod. info_outline
Still doing research on an amp for the References....anyone here have experience with the newer NAD C-388 (or 368) integrated? Tried a forum search here but no hits. Seems to have good reviews and is on the recommended list for one Goldenear dealer who pairs it with the T1s so I assume Ref would be similar performance?
It seems to offer a lot of what I am looking for: 2 channel integrated plus 'Speaker B' so I could plug my wired patio speakers to that and run A+B if I want music or TV sound in both areas (manual says A/B/A+B so I guess it is possible though have not seen anybody review that part). Additionally, the BlueOS module would let me stream Spotify/Tidal/etc. That same website has a glowing writeup on it . I was thinking the C-388 is the better option at 150 w x 2, versus the C-368 is only 80w per channel. It is a Class D amp.

Also: someone asked at AVS about the power, and I don't understand the answer about the SNR vs efficiency rating of the speaker, but I assume all is okay?: "How do these compare to the D7050 in sound quality? The NAD website states for the C368 the SNR as >98dB and the THD as <0.03%, while the D7050 is >90dB and ≤0.004%. However, the D7050's "DirectDigital" processing is adopted from the flagship amplifier while the C-series use hybrid digital amplification. I am looking for an amp for the floor-standing GoldenEar Triton 2+ (91dB efficiency)." ["Answer: Both distortion figures are off the charts inaudible. The C series is more robust w/better SQ IMO. The D7050 is excellent sounding and pretty peerless for its size/price, but is designed more for places where you don't want/can't fit a full size component."]

The NAD also initially had some issue with bass frequency management which hopefully has been cured by a firmware update for now - I am not using a sub so would send full value to the speakers anyhow.

Another option would be to look at a tube-based like the PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium, but I would then need a separate DAC and also possibly a streamer like Bluenode 2 (though could use a newer Oppo as the DAC as it has the integrated Tidal etc too). But that route is more cash for sure, probably double the price of just buying the NAD.

Or, in same price point could look at the mid-level Anthem AV receiver, the 720. So many choices!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 3 weeks ago
Hi hot_rod,
I really doubt you can go wrong here.
NAD is one of the companies I would look at, for sure, and that C-388 (I just read a review about it) looks sweet.
And seems to have the things you need for now.
Does the place you would buy it from have any kind of return policy? That might make this less of a shot in the dark, wish you could audition it before you buy.
But it looks great. The price is in the right ball park, it is modern, can do things the old ones can't. BUT it is not multi-channel for watching movies, which is something I thought you were interested in.
Whatever way you go, pls let us know how it turns out?
Have fun,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers New Triton Reference Speakers