file New Triton Reference Speakers

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 1 week ago
Well, the new amp and TR's now have about 10 hours break in on them. So this is an initial impression:

I listened to familiar music first at the audio store on their 2 channel TR setup, with a PrimaLuna tube amp powering them. I wanted a good reference point for comparing what I would then be hearing with my setup.

At the store, bass depth/musicality/detail was obvious and impressive. I guess what I was most pleasantly surprised by was the stunning detail and punch throughout the sound spectrum. With that in my memory bank, back to home where Audio Systems helped with the install (thank you!!).

First, my input on relative steps between my original T2's, the T1's that came next, and now the TR's. In my view, the step up from the T1's to the TR's is the same kind of leap as the step from the T2's to the T1's (can't speak to how the T2+'s fit in there). After 10 hours of break in, I played the same music I'd played at the audio store, in 2 channel pure direct. Same result! This is the first 2 channel setup I can ever recall that delivers that surround-like sense of music being so immersive, almost 3D-like, that at first I kept checking to make sure it was in fact set for 2 channel and the center channel was NOT playing, and the top front heights were NOT helping bring the sound further "into the room"!!! What a sound field the TR's create! Detailed, gorgeous, dynamic bring the music alive stuff. I will definitely be playing more with letting the TR's do their thing all by themselves more often. I'm listening to Roger Whittaker's "Albany" in 2 channel as I write this. Goosebumps! Even the bagpipes occasionally in the background (not my favorite musical instrument) sound amazing. Stunning speakers, visually and sound wise.

I was relieved that my setup vs. the store setup with broken in TR's and PrimaLuna tube amp, sounds pretty amazing also. (Anthem, it's too early to give you a good readout on the new AT525NC amp, but so far I'm pretty impressed. That's not broken in yet either.)

Next up, after some football with the HT doing the sound, comes some fine tuning and trying out more surround stuff... really want to hear more of how the T1's do as surrounds, how all 9 channels come together, what the LFE bass punch will be on action movies with the TR/T1 combo. What little I've tried so far, the TR's fit in perfectly with all the other GEt speakers.

I'm a happy camper!!!! :cheer:

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 7 years 1 week ago
Hey Rick:
I knew without a doubt you would be impressed with the T Refs. Bass Slam and shimmering highs across the entire music spectrum, and it only gets better with further Break-in. In regards to the ATI Amp...who is your dealer? Did you pay retail? There isn't an ATI dealer in Kansas, do U think your dealer would make me a deal? Looking forward to further impressions/thoughts on the T Ref/Ati combo.
L
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
My wife Judy's comments when I dialed up one of her toe tappin' playlists of FLAC 2 channel and played it pure direct into the the T Ref's (no surround upmix, again.. seems to be happening more with these speakers): "They're beautiful"!!!. as she did her toe tappin' reaction. We danced to one of the numbers. :) The sound was mesmerizing, like hearing some of them for the first time. The detail, the sweetness, continues to amaze me!!! Yes, I DO hear details, instrument separation I've never heard before.

P.S. to Anthem: I'll PM you some more stuff re your questions about ATi amps/sources/costs. Still likin' that amp, made the center channel SCXXL even clearer... didn't think that was possible.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
Been listening to Merle Haggard, 2 channel, pure direct, again. Man, those T Ref's draw you in!!!

"Going Where the Lonely Go" just played. THESE SPEAKERS ARE ABSOLUTELY THE BEST SOUNDING SPEAKERS I HAVE EVER HEARD IN MY LIFE!!! I could sit here all night and listen!!!

Sandy and team, you have hit a home run!!!

Rick
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 7 years 1 week ago

rjohn79395 wrote: Been listening to Merle Haggard, 2 channel, pure direct, again. Man, those T Ref's draw you in!!!

"Going Where the Lonely Go" just played. THESE SPEAKERS ARE ABSOLUTELY THE BEST SOUNDING SPEAKERS I HAVE EVER HEARD IN MY LIFE!!! I could sit here all night and listen!!!

Sandy and team, you have hit a home run!!!

Rick

Hey Rick. Glad to understand you are enjoying your T Ref's. I thought you would :)

So it would seem we have something else besides the T Ref's in common - music. Mama Tried was played regularly by the Grateful Dead. The song is written by Merle Haggard. In fact, I used to sing that tune myself every now and again at stand-up mic sessions. I know it well. "G" chord, so I'm pretty good with it :lol:
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
Hey, GDHAL

I'm understanding better all your comments about the the T Ref's now that I'm hearing them myself. Spectacular comes to mind.

I just plain get addicted to the sound they produce!!

I'll be playing lots of familiar music and really hearing it for the first time with these beauties.

Rick
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers New Triton Reference Speakers