file New Triton Reference Speakers

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
GDHAL Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by GDHAL. info_outline

charliehatch wrote: ....GDHAL, I have always used all the locking nuts and tried to keep them at least finger tight against the plinth. I think that helps support the spike screw. I agree that we need something beefier there. A larger diameter screw would help a lot.Charlie

This is one reason I'd like to read from the @Moderator on this (whether or not all locking nuts "should" be used, "must" be used, or is strictly a matter of preference). The downside of using all locking nuts is that less threading is holding the nut into the base and it raises the speaker that extra 1/8 inch or so which could be undesirable in certain applications. For example, if I use one locking nut (which I do), all other three spikes are screwed *entirely* into the base socket. If I use all locking nuts, then I need to have one of them set in such a way that it causes the spike to be 1/4 inch lower (hence raising the height of the speaker in order to level it) and that spike is then even further "unscrewed" from its otherwise completely threaded into base position.

Edit:

I also think it interesting to note that the diameter of the locking nut is identical to the largest diameter of the spike. This leads me to believe it is *not* functioning as a "washer" or aiding in the stability of the speaker, and instead is only meant to provide spacing in order to level the speaker.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Pbgalvin's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lovin' GET T1s
    • Thank you received: 633
Pbgalvin Posted 7 years 1 month ago
i have wood-ish floors, and I'm using the rubber feet in the back with spikes into discs in the front to tilt them up a bit like I did with my T1s. Given the size of the speakers though don't think I need to do the tilt. So I guess rubber feet unless folks have opinions that spikes/disks are better sound-wise?

Btw a quick listen today to the T Ref after being away for a few days, they are starting to sound great all around including the highs. Again away for a few with them breaking in so should be ready for real listening when I get back mid week. Will report back...
2 channel -> GeT Ones.R, Rogue RP-7 pre, Kinki Studio B7 Monoblock amps fed by Oppo 105D, SonicTransport, OpticalRendu w/ 200,000 tracks, Rega RP8 w/ Garrott OPTIM S3 FGS Ruby + Sutherland 20/20 phono pre, PS Audio Powerplant 20
HT -> Marantz 7703, Butler Audio T5150 amp, GeT Ref mains
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Pbgalvin,

I'm looking forward to your report on the TRs.

On the spikes, it SEEMED to me that the sound was better on spikes than it had been on carpet, where the speakers were less solidly supported. This makes sense when you think about speaker cone reaction forces moving the cabinet. Unfortunately, it's really hard to do an A/B test between the rubber feet and the spike/disc combination. Probably doesn't make a significant difference, but that's one test I don't want to do.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 7 years 1 month ago
The spikes are definitely preferred and have a positive performance impact. Even the moderator has confirmed this and has stated so here on the forum in another thread. The manual also states the same. As I recall, the spikes provide "breathe ability" under the speaker which is a plus and provides more isolation from resonance caused by itself. Granted, these are theoretical and rather subtle improvements, however, this is what we all strive for B)
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator

• Pbgalvin's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lovin' GET T1s
    • Thank you received: 633
Pbgalvin Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Thanks folks, will go with spikes in the back instead of rubber feet in the front.
2 channel -> GeT Ones.R, Rogue RP-7 pre, Kinki Studio B7 Monoblock amps fed by Oppo 105D, SonicTransport, OpticalRendu w/ 200,000 tracks, Rega RP8 w/ Garrott OPTIM S3 FGS Ruby + Sutherland 20/20 phono pre, PS Audio Powerplant 20
HT -> Marantz 7703, Butler Audio T5150 amp, GeT Ref mains

• fbreynolds's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 70
fbreynolds Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Enjoying my new speakers, listening to music and watching TV while the speakers break in.

Just curious, are there any special tricks people use when breaking in speakers?

fred

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers New Triton Reference Speakers