file New Triton Reference Speakers

• Pbgalvin's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lovin' GET T1s
    • Thank you received: 633
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Pbgalvin Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Hey folks, appreciate the encouragement.
Here are my initial impressions after about 8 hours of breakin' (so too early to write anything "final").
Watched "logan" last night in 4K HDR bluray, oppo 205, marantz 7701, outlaw audio 7700 amp.
Also Planet Earth 2. Btw 4K HDR on a good TV (Sony 75x900E) looks astonishingly great.

Very satisfying overall, move lots of air, fill my large room with great sounding audio.
Had to increase the gain on the center channel, indicating the Ref are more efficient than the Ones (by quite a lot actually).
Today listening to Best of New York Sessions V 1 SACD, and it sounds excellent except...
The bass, drums, percussion, low string instruments all make me say "wow". More "balls" than the Ones, in technical terms :-).
Very accurate, revealing, detailed, and impactful. Love the sound.
Some high end notes have glare / grain. I think I'm hearing limits on the preamp (or maybe the amp). So considering upgrading.
Not surprised the 7701 can't keep up, as its audio is good but not known to be reference quality (say compared to the marantz 8802a).
So T Ref so far, accurate, revealing, great low notes, probably great highs but now probably showing limits in my preamp/amp setup.

More impressions when I have them.
Btw had to do a test of going back to my 2 channel setup (in a much smaller room) and listening to the T Ones. Still sound great, and T Ref probably too big for the room, so happy to not have the upgrade itch on that setup. Listening to the best of Sade on vinyl and wow is it good (with better preamp / amp than in my HT). And given the very large price difference, the T Ones remain in my mind the best speaker value in home audio!
2 channel -> GeT Ones.R, Rogue RP-7 pre, Kinki Studio B7 Monoblock amps fed by Oppo 105D, SonicTransport, OpticalRendu w/ 200,000 tracks, Rega RP8 w/ Garrott OPTIM S3 FGS Ruby + Sutherland 20/20 phono pre, PS Audio Powerplant 20
HT -> Marantz 7703, Butler Audio T5150 amp, GeT Ref mains
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, Dwight, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• LampCord's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 12
LampCord Posted 7 years 1 month ago
For what it's worth, when I heard the References at my local shop, they were brand new (but hooked up to a nice Mcintosh setup), and they sounded a bit bright in the upper register when compared to the Ones which had a couple hundred hours on them. I am sure you will find the high end will relax a bit as you get some more hours on your system. Enjoy your great setup!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by GDHAL. info_outline
Digital Trends Caleb Denison video - Just posted 7/25/17

Enjoy!

www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/goden...-speakers-interview/
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Good short write up, looking for more.
Pbgalvin, as Lampcord said, the brightness may just be that the References need some break in time.
OR, sometimes highly resolving speakers can be bright IN SOME SYSTEMS. Very often it is a system synergy deal.
Different pre-amps, amps, processors, cables and of course my favorite: TOOBS are all ways to explore to find what really sounds the greatest within a system approach.
You guys have embarked on a great adventure, enjoy it.
Good for you, happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• fbreynolds's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 70
fbreynolds Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Thanks for the thoughtful replies. Let me describe my room and system and any additions ideas will be appreciated.

The room is rather large (27 x 25 x 9) but the listening position is about 10 feet from the TV. The overall system is 5.2.4 with a GE SuperCenter XXL center, the Refs are the fronts, surrounds are GE Invisa MPX, and the 4 ceiling speakers are GE Invisa HTR 7000. The receiver is Anthem MRX 1120.

I originally was going to go with GE Triton Twos for the fronts (I have two loaners that I am listening too right now) but convinced my dear wife that the Ones would not be too large, and then the Reference was announced and I'm hoping the furniture quality finish wins her over (as well as the sound!).

GDHAL: I will work with the Audio Advice techs to get the toe-in correct and won't worry about tilting the speaker ( I hoped I wouldn't need to do that.)

Wayne (WayneWilmeth): My listening is hard to pin down. For sure, I watch lots of movies and have set up the system to take advantage of atmos surround sound. My wife and I also like to listen to music, mostly from the 60s and 70s due to our "advanced" age. We run the gamut: the Beatles, Aerosmith, Beach Boys, Queen, BeeGees, the Statlers, Tony Bennett, Pavarotti, and some good close harmony gospel. We are looking forward to exploring the sounds we like listening to on the Reference speakers.
You are correct, I want to use LFE for movies, and I want the Reference speakers to control the crossover when I am listening to 2 channel. I think you and Rick are saying to keep the LFE connections and use the setup in the receiver to give me the different arrangements. Fortunately, the Anthem allows me to create many different output scenarios so I can experiment easily.

Art (Arthurdaniels): Fortunately, the Anthem has 2 sub-woofer outputs. Good advice on learning the specifics of the receiver - I have started but it takes time and experimentation (enjoying the journey!).

Rick (rjohn79395): Thanks for the details on the setup. I will show this to the guys from Audio Advice so we get it right.

Thanks everyone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• fbreynolds's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 70
fbreynolds Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Audio Advice delivered my speakers this afternoon:

Reference speakers next to my loaner Triton Twos -

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Dwight, rjohn79395, stereo5

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers New Triton Reference Speakers