file New Triton Reference Speakers

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ArthurDaniels Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Charlie, a quick comment about the spikes. My T1s are sitting on a tile floor with spikes installed. I slide them around with minimal difficulty - yes, they make a scraping noise when I move them, but I see no evidence of damage to the tiles.

I am glad my T1s sit on tile and not on carpet. I presume they would be harder to move and not as stable on carpet.

Best,

Art

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Art, yes that's what I found. They were more unstable on spikes on carpet.

Try the felt underneath your disks. No more scraping! I did it because I was paranoid about my new floors.
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 7 years 1 month ago
What brand and part number of felt did you use? Where purchased?

Art

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Art, I got these from Amazon. I needed a lot of different sizes when I redid my floors. One of the sizes here worked well for the spike discs.
smile.amazon.com/X-PROTECTOR-Premium-ULT...furniture+pads&psc=1

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Moderator. info_outline
Hi stereo5.

The tearing of the spike from the base is unfortunate. Believe it or not, when Sandy and I discussed the spikes he did mention to me this was a possibility *if* the speaker is not moved correctly once the spike are on. Still, I agree it is somewhat surprising to say the least because there does appear to be enough threading to hold the spike to the base with enough strength to tear the carpet, basically the opposite of what can happen.

As to the quality or lack thereof of the material used for the spike, I'll quote Sandy's written response to those provided with the Reference.

"At CES we were using Stillpoints. These are rather expensive, but I think worthwhile. The spikes that come with the
speakers are similar to those that come with the Ones, but are made of stainless steel, rather than brass, which works better."

Edited 20 minutes later... Question for @Moderator related to the spikes and/or rubber feet:

I did ask this of Sandy, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't understand my question, hence he has not responded. So, please allow me to ask you. :)

The owners manual **implies** it is imperative to use all locking nuts. Is it the case that all locking nuts must be used, regardless of spacing? For instance, I use one locking nut as a spacer on one spike. I am not using the locking nut on any of the other three spikes because I have no need/desire to elevate those three spikes. Your advise/feedback is as always appreciated.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
stereo5, I was never able to get all my spikes to go all the way down into the subfloor. I think this is because the carpet I had had a relatively tight weave in the backing, and the backing was pretty strong. I would hear a "pop" as some spikes worked in and broke fibers, but I could not get all four spikes to penetrate all the way. Strong carpet! Because of that, the speakers, while stable enough, were actually floating to some extent on the carpet and weren't as rock solid as they are now on the disks and laminate flooring. Living in moderate earthquake risk country (western Nevada), I always worried about how the speakers would survive a bigger one. Well....actually I still worry. Got through a magnitude 3.5 not long ago.

I did wish for narrower and longer spikes to help with the carpet penetration problem.

GDHAL, I have always used all the locking nuts and tried to keep them at least finger tight against the plinth. I think that helps support the spike screw. I agree that we need something beefier there. A larger diameter screw would help a lot.

Charlie

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers New Triton Reference Speakers