file External Amp Advice - Triton 5

• DaveyMac's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 92
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
DaveyMac Posted 9 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by DaveyMac. info_outline
My AVR, Denon X4100w only does 5.2.4 if I hook up external amp. The AVR outputs 105 watts per channel.

I'm assuming if I use externall amp for two channels, I would use it on fronts?

How many watts would be plenty for Triton 5's?

Would external amp potentially improve their sound? (Which is already great)

I was thinking of getting this 300wpc Behringer A500 - is 300 watt too much? www.amazon.com/Behringer-A500-BEHRINGER-...fier#customerReviews
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 4 months ago
Hi DaveyMac,
A resounding YES to your question about using an outboard amp on the front 2 channels!!!!! YES that will give you an improved sound.
That Behringer is not too much amp, as it is really only 125 wpc at 8 ohms, both channels driven. NOT 300.
I dislike amps that give misleading reports as to how many watts they have, by giving 4 ohm figures and peak watts.
I tend to mistrust such amps and their makers.
It MIGHT be a great sounding amp, I don't know.
I imagine anything in the 75-200 wpc RMS both channels driven at 8 ohms would work wonderfully well with the T5s. I feel they must not be too power hungry, if they are like all the other speakers in the GEt line. But since they did not have a powered bottom end, they would probably like a fair bit of power.
Everyone will recommend their fav amps, (I like the Vincent hybrid amps but nobody else here knows them). But there are a LOT better names out there to choose from but all of them will probably cost a little (or a LOT) more. Will they be better than the Behringer? Maybe yes, maybe no.
Wish I could tell you.
Hope this helps, happy hunting, and enjoy the tunes,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, DaveyMac

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 9 years 4 months ago
Through the years, I've found it wise when reviewing a product to always pay attention to the negative reviews. The vast majority of people really like the Behringer, but here is one review that really stands out...remember, ya get what you pay for. This amp is running a set of Cerwin Vega cls-12 speakers which are rated at 6 OHM but more like 4. 5 OHMS
By Patricia Byrd - December 23, 2014
I run this amp in my garage system, for the last 2 years. I have to laugh after reading the reviews. 600 watts, 300 watts where do these specs come from. No way, i bench tested mine at just over 50 watts RMS per channel. This amp is running a set of Cerwin Vega cls-12 speakers which are rated at 6 OHM but more like 4.5 OHMS. This amp has trouble running them, and easily overheats and shuts down. I installed 2 fans and that helps. If you run the amp at about 10 watts RMS, sound quality is pretty good. Trust me this is no hi end amp. I also daisy chain 3 amps to a Carver receiver. A pioneer $800.00, unit and an old 70 watt per channel Radio Shack amp,from 1974, all of which blow this a500 away. You really do get what you pay for. These speakers need much more power than the A500 can give. So i am looking for another Amp.
A note about power ratings. In the day of the hi-fi, the well made stereo amps/ receivers, power ratings were rated as IHF and then RMS and you could compare by these numbers. Todays live sound amps are rated peak power which is at least 10x what RMS would be. Beware of the power ratings. Ron B.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, DaveyMac

Thank you gentleman. I missed that review, so thx for pointing it out. That person seems to know their stuff, so I don't trust that amp.

I'd like to stay under $300 and def don't want a tube amp at this time. Most I find are like 75 watts only though, so that concerns me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 4 months ago
DaveyMac,

At that price range, it's going to be tough. May I offer an alternative plan if you're budget is locked? I'd suggest something like the Emotiva Fusion Flex just to run your Atmos channels. You would also need to check with your Denon for configuration options. You may not be able to reassign your front L/R outputs... Just a thought.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, DaveyMac

T Cobe wrote: DaveyMac,

At that price range, it's going to be tough. May I offer an alternative plan if you're budget is locked? I'd suggest something like the Emotiva Fusion Flex just to run your Atmos channels. You would also need to check with your Denon for configuration options. You may not be able to reassign your front L/R outputs... Just a thought.

Cheers,

T Cobe

I'm doing this primarily so I can route my fronts to amp. I'm nearly certain my front right channel on AVR is messed up... It's not outputting as much low end frequencies as left channel. I can tell because the bass radiators don't move nearly as much. I've determined it's def not speakers fault by switching.

How many watts should be good for T5? Theres a ton of amps on Amazon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers External Amp Advice - Triton 5