file External Amp Advice - Triton 5

• fopmc's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 154
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
fopmc Posted 9 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by fopmc. info_outline
I like it a lot. T Cobe, I really don't have a lot of experience with AV hardware, but I do trust my ears, but subjectively speaking our taste in music maybe different too. I love vocals, but really only have limited testing with Sam Smith and Adam Lambert, just good strong male vocals, in today's pop world, but hauntingly good! The imaging, which the Triton 1 brings, with initial testing, not even broken in is good. Early testing though do suggest that the toe in and placement make a difference. I do plan to run more strings and piano through its paces though and I know you love your BASS :)

So from Po's bag, I like it. Also of note, I see a lot of ppl stacking their amps on top of one another, so I e-mailed Emotiva and asked and they suggest to NOT stack and have more room on top for heat dissipation, since running in A mode does get hot! I asked andif 3-4inches is enough, they replied yes, so is good to go on my Sanus rack!

Of note T Cobe, PM me as not to bloat this thread, how are your Aons doing as rear or surround channels, I'm really not sure how much is good enough if I go Triton route in the future! Obviously not now, but am curious for as much feedback from Aons, T7, T5, T3, T2 as rears, or IS there really diminishing returns for our hard earned green paper!

Thanks
Po
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveyMac's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 92
DaveyMac Posted 9 years 4 months ago

fopmc wrote: I am currently using the older receiver to yours the AVR-X4000, but I think it is 125Wpc RMS at 8ohms. I am also using three Emotiva XPA-1L across the front three channels, and I really like it a lot, definitely an extention to just the receiver!

It is switchable and for music, which I stream across my AppleTV, in class A mode (upto 35watts), I always walk up to my center channel to make sure that it's not actually on, and works well with movies too. I am still breaking everything in, so I am still awaiting that extra sweet kick in!
On the counter side, my budget and WAF upstairs is entirely different, I am running the SS3 pair and SS50c and a FF3 sub, all straight from another AVR-X4000. I find it is enough power and all speakers easy to drive!

Thanks
Po

Cool! I actually already bumped myself and am considering this for my 2 channels:
www.amazon.com/Emotiva-XPA-200-Stereo-Po...ds=emotiva+amplifier
That should be as good as the x4100 would do, I think.

I just ss xl today, so I'll be playing with that for now. B)

Aon 3's for surrounds will be here next week!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 4 months ago
DaveyMac,

I think the Emotiva would be a fine choice! Did you indicate that you now have the SSXL as well? Congrats and have fun tuning everything in. It is certainly a fun process getting everything tuned in and sounding its best. The Aon 3s should integrate nicely.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, DaveyMac

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 4 months ago
Po,

Thanks for the feedback on the amps! I enjoy music with vocals as well. Smith and Lambert are both great vocalists but I have to admit I haven't listened to much from either of them.

I'm still forming my opinion on the Aon 3s. Alone, they are fantastic. Probably the first set of bookshelf speakers I could live with in a 2.0 or 2.1 music set up. With T5s or T7s, I think I would be completely happy with them as surrounds but the T1s really raise the bar! It's a little unfair to ask any speaker to keep up with them. I think the best compliment to the T1s may be the T2s or T5s. The T5s are probably a better match in terms of clarity and dynamics while the T2s are close in those regards and would create a 360 degree LFE nirvana. Bottom line, I'm still a bit torn on how to round things out.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable

• fopmc's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 154
fopmc Posted 9 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by fopmc. info_outline
T Cobe

I should also add that I'm not sure what the demand for the output of rear channels really mean, if it is just ambient noise and the low end thump from movies, is delivered from the subwoofer, then, is the SS3 all that is required, if the answer is a resounding "NO", then I will go higher like you have suggested. I also muster the idea that for movies, a seperate subwoofer like the FF4 I have is really necessary!

So T5s with Sub, will be better for HT, while if for front stereo music, I know I will go for the T2s and higher, like I have. So I guess we are still in the same boat, but like you said, the Aon 3s leave you wanting for more, that's what I feel but don't have a clear answer for now. Perhaps the moderator can help ask Sandy for some Advice :)

Also for the center channel, the SCXL is good, in fact very good, just not Triton 1 great. It feels like a Aon 4 if one existed! I could be wrong here, but like I have said I am still breaking them in. The fact that the center channel is so important and to have it matched with the Triton 1s, I won't go else where. To put it into words where I feel it is lacking, is difficult to say but doesn't quite connect the dots and have the Triton 1 sparkle you now come to expect. It is by no means a disappointment, quite the opposite, you just feel, like some have already mentioned there's a bigger brother coming along. Now, this isn't just an idea I put into my head, just my ears expecting more! I may change my mind after the break in period, and of course I would hope so!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, DaveyMac

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
murphyslaw1978 Posted 9 years 4 months ago
The Emotiva will be a step up from the Crown in sound quality. If you're worried about cost, you could also buy used amps. They are roughly 50% cheaper than new. If you buy used, you can always resell later and not lose much money, which can then be used to trade up.

The T5s have 90dB of sensitivity, so they will play quite loud, even with only a few watts of power. Do you listen to loud music or movies?
7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers External Amp Advice - Triton 5