file External Amp Advice - Triton 5

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 4 months ago
Hi DaveyMac,
All that power will be cool, but is not really essential. But it is great IF YOU CAN to think in terms of upgrade, down the line.
Sounds like you are doing that and well on the right road.
I want to go back one in this conversation to the discussion about the rear surrounds.
What I read here, and it sounds like what you read, is that the surrounds do not really need to be particularly full range, or at least, not that special a speaker. That for home theater the surrounds only get some junk played through them to make it sound more full, or the occasional directional clue, or a clever use like a dog barking way over there.
For home theater it is often true that a LOT of the sound effects are just that, and made in the Foley room with some people crashing some cans together. Or slamming a door.
And IF you only use the surrounds for movies, then most likely all you read is true enough.
Even if you are watching concerts, in MOST cases you are only gonna get audience sounds or hall reverb.
BUT IF you put on a SACD or movie recorded for serious surround, IF you play stuff like the TACET surround classical music where it is recorded in 5.1 channels ALL AROUND the listener, where the surround speakers play FULL range, the surrounds need to be nearly as good as the fronts and center.
This is true for speakers AND amps, they all need to be pretty good!!!!!
Just something for you to think about.
Happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, DaveyMac

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 4 months ago
No, GEt speakers are not made to bi-amp. They are not even made to bi-wire.
That is not saying anything bad about them, since you REALLY do NOT need to bi---anything on these speakers.
Enjoy keeping it simple.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, DaveyMac

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 9 years 4 months ago

DaveyMac wrote: If I had 5 channel emotiva amp, could I hook TWO of the channels to each speaker? Is that what bi-amp means?

Wayne has already responded about GE speakers, but I thought I would try to clarify the concept of bi-amping speakers for you. Some speaker units have separate input terminals for low frequency and mid-high frequency connections. These speakers will have at least 4 terminals for connecting speaker wires. The bi-amp concept is to drive the low-frequency section of such a speaker from one source while driving the mid-high frequency section from a second and separate source. Speakers which can be bi-amped will have clear instructions about how to do so. Usually, there is a jumper bar connected across the speaker terminals which must be removed for bi-amping.

Bi-amping should not be confused with speakers such as the active Triton series which have a separate LFE input for LF signals from an amplifier sub-pre-out. This connection is not a standard two-wire speaker connection, but rather is a cable with RCA connectors.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, DaveyMac

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 4 months ago

DaveyMac wrote:

fopmc wrote: T Cobe

I'm not sure what the demand for the output of rear channels really mean...

Also for the center channel, the SCXL is good, in fact very good, just not Triton 1 great. It feels like a Aon 4 if one existed! I could be wrong here, but like I have said I am still breaking them in. The fact that the center channel is so important and to have it matched with the Triton 1s, I won't go else where. To put it into words where I feel it is lacking, is difficult to say but doesn't quite connect the dots and have the Triton 1 sparkle you now come to expect. !

I read a lengthy, educated post on AVS forums about what rears need, and it made sense: Movies are made with action in front of you, what you can see. We can't see behind us. We can never hear as much dynamics from something going on behind our heads. Therefore, you simply don't need monster speakers for rears. As long as you have the same tweeters, you should pretty much have rear surround nirvana. I hope this makes sense.

Have you tried your ss xl with 60 hz crossover? Maybe it will blend with t1 better there? I think I like the lower crossover with my t5's.

DaveyMac,

This was true in the past but Atmos mixes feature directional sound with full frequency response. To future proof, full capability speakers will be better. Additionally, the addition of 360 LFE has been touted as exceptional. For more info on both, check the web for GET Atmos demonstrations at trade shows. They have been using T1s up front and T2s in the rear to great effect.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, DaveyMac

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 4 months ago
Yes, actually since the availability of lossless multi-channel sources "effects" speakers get full range, full dynamics material, including intended directional clues. Whether they need to be full range or just "above subwoofer" frequencies is a matter of debate, but certainly there is plenty of reason to have good, matching speakers and a good amplifier for those channels.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, DaveyMac

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 4 months ago
Thanks, Moderator. That said, GET's previous Atmos demo setup of choice for trade shows was the T1s up front, T2s in the rear, and HTR-7000s in the ceiling. Has that changed with the arrival of the T5? I'm trying to decide what the best surround speaker would be for a future Atmos set up with T1s up front (no, I'm not doing T1s all the way around... :laugh: ). Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, DaveyMac

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers External Amp Advice - Triton 5