file External Amp Advice - Triton 5

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 9 years 3 months ago

jcam2881 wrote: Using a emotiva xpr-5 with triton 7s, super center xl and supersat 3s. Having gone from a Marantz Sr 6008 powering them to the amp...I can tell you it makes a massive difference in imaging, clarity, headroom and overall just really makes the 7s sing...Marantz has a nice dac and features so I do like using it...for what its worth. It can't compete IMHO in my home with the detail I get from the emotiva amp. all good fun!

jcam2881,

XPR-5?! Holy headroom, Batman! Hope you don't have any little ones running around with access to the volume control. That could be dangerous. Thanks for the feedback on the sound. I'm considering an XPA-5. There are a lot of mixed reviews on Emotiva but we can be a finicky bunch. To me, it's all about return on investment. I will give Emotiva a try to see if I get what I'm looking for in amplification. If the XPA-5 is powerful enough with my T1s, I'll buy a pair of XPA-1Ls. If I find I want a little more headroom, I'll jump up to the XPA-1. I can't imagine needing to jump up to the XPR but I bet it sounds great!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Yes Jcam2881,
That sounds like an awesome system and LOTS of power!!!! Should sound superb.
I agree with Toby, you really got it going!!!!
Enjoy the music and keep us in the loop if you will.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• jcam2881's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 4
jcam2881 Posted 9 years 3 months ago
I actually just went from the XPA-5 to the XPR-5...I probably should have noted that. The reason...well..I got a great deal on the trade from the XPA-5..which was 3months old~! Both sound incredible..i sort of wish I had them side by side to do a real a/b blind test to tell you with certainty the diff ..but didn't have the opportunity to do so. Loved the sound of the XPA-5 and it was way more than enough for the 7s. It was just opportunity and I know at some point I will have a dedicated theatre room and most likely going to pick up the triton 5s and use the 7s in the back. In my view you can't go wrong with the XPA-5..its brilliant and well worth the $. I don't have to worry about little ones..yet :D . both of the amps were more than powerful enough. Good luck! I am now waiting for Sandy to come out with a even more impressive Triton PASSIVE tower to rival the Triton 1s with just a few more than 2 6" drivers :D... I like to be able to feed them on my own.

Oh - btw they both have incredible power in 2ch listening..more than. My advice go for the XPA-5.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Thanks for the feedback, jcam! It's great to get first hand feedback and if the difference between the XPA and XPR are close enough that you'd need them for a side by side comparison, than I doubt the difference would be too significant at the volumes levels I use and having powered towers. I look forward to the XPA-5.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers External Amp Advice - Triton 5