file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 1 month ago
OK, back to my usual loser movie ways, sadly.
Tonight I tried to watch "Cross Wars", Danny Trejo is in it, some others which made me hopeful, but what a waste!!!!!
PQ was alright, SQ was 5.1 and really quite good for such a loser movie. I am glad to see decent surround sound catching on even in B movies.
The story??? was horrible, the lines/writing and their delivery were atrocious, simply awful. Amy Jane is in it, don't know who she is but she is not hard on the eyes.
Alright I was trying for ANY redeeming quality in the movie at all.
AND it was obvious they tried to position it for a followup, sequel. Goodness sakes, NO.
NOT RECOMMENDED even for casual entertainment, I had to fast forward through it just to see if any watchable scene might show up, anything that made any sense, nothing!!!
IMBd rated this 1 1/2 stars, but I think that is WAY overrated.
YMMV but I doubt it.
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Oh BOY, I saw a good one tonight!!!!
I feel like shouting!!!!!
How long has it been since I watched a movie that was really worth a super HIGH Recommendation?????
"KONG: Skull Island" is just such a movie. Totally recommend this movie in every way!!!!!
This movie has it all for me.
The PQ was stunning, awesome!!!!
The SQ was by way of Dolby True HD 7.1 and perhaps it was ATMOS, not sure, though I had sounds coming from all over the place in my home theater, all around the 7.1 was very active, and helicopters flying overhead as well, explosions working out the subs in all my speakers and sub. This is REFERENCE/DEMO stuff IMHO.
AND FUN!!!!
John C. Reilly was tremendous in this, Goodman was OK, as were SL Jackson et al.
I thought for the longest that the whole Beauty and the Beast aspect of all the old Kong movies was not gonna make it into this one, and it is given pretty short shrift but it is there. Enough to be interesting. Though the girl (Brie Larson) is no Jessica Lange or Naomi Watts.
The writing was fine. There are some silly/clunky lines to be delivered in here, but Reilly does them perfectly.
A thrilling ride, good story, satisfying ending, and LOTS of great sound and action.
LOVED IT!!!!
I could not find the movie locally in 3D, read that it is not real 3D anyway, but fake 3D has come a long ways, so if anybody did see it in 3D, please let me know if it is worth the $30 to buy it from Amazon????
Watch this one, crank it up, you will sit there with a smile on your face that you have a good home theater and that you can enjoy all the surround speakers, your investment will be finally worth it all!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I think I will go back and watch Kong again!!!!
Tonight I watched "Birth of a Nation" and I don't get the title at all.
The movie was MISERABLE to watch, the inhumanity of people is appalling. I think it was based on a true story, MERCY!!!!!
Hard to watch, touching, moving, rough.
The PQ was pretty good, unremarkable.
SQ was by way of DTS 5.1 and I thought it sounded great the times I noticed. Songs sounded wonderful sad, they were remarkable.
Some decent surround moments.
I will leave this at a neutral from me, I cannot recommend anyone put themselves through this, but it does make a point about just how terrible slavery was/is.
But I also read that there was an alleged rape associated with the lead actor/writer and the co-writer.
ROUGH stuff all around!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!!
2016 movie I had not seen, just watched it tonight, loved it!!!
"CRIMINAL"
This puppy has a full loaded cast, and I never have really cared for Kevin Costner before, but he tears it up in this one!!!!!
Gal Gadot is in it too, that is enough reason to watch it right there. Tommy Lee Jones, Gary Oldman, etc.
PQ is fine, nothing to scream about.
SQ is DTS 5.1 and sounded fine, surrounds did not amaze, but music sounded wonderful, I always like DTS soundtracks MUCH sweeter to me than Dolby Digital.
There's this cute girl in here, GREAT STORY, well done, some fine acting, and action too. And it is heart warming. Good stuff.
This movie has the total package, some did not review it well, but I Totally disagree.
This movie is a MUST SEE to me. Not reference, but just great entertainment.
See my opening line, I recommend this movie.
AND Gal Gadot is in it, did I mention that??????
Don't miss it.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Hey, Wayne

Just put "Kong" on my list of Amazon items to get when I return to TX! :)

Thanks!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Tonight the wife and girlie and I watched "The Great Wall" together, I had watched it by myself before. I thought they would like it and they really did.
After they went to bed, I watched "Logan", what to say?
I was never a fan of the X Men, not really a Marvel, comic book movie fan. And it seemed that a lot of that stuff was put to bed with this movie. Maybe, probably not.
But good to me if it is finished.
PQ was really fine. SQ was 7.1 and not as well used a I would have liked to hear, but alright. There were some opportunities for the sound to show off, and yeah, it was alright I guess.
The writing was good, well acted. I liked the young girl.
RECOMMENDED as light entertainment, would not watch it again.
YMMV especially if you are a fan of the franchise or comic book movies. But if you are, I could see this one not being very satisfying for you.
God Bless,
Wayne

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?