file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 1 month ago
I have really been enjoying the IAAF World Track and Field Championships, the U.S. killed it with the medal count!!!!
But I got in a movie tonight. Well, started it, then watched the relays, then went back and finished a rather boring, artsy fartsy movie.
"Manchester By the Sea", which won all kinds of awards, has some great acting, good writing, sort of, but depressing and somewhat slow/boring.
I think it is just my copy but my PQ was HORRIBLE. SQ was not good either, I did not like the background music at all, sound was in DTS 5.1 and nothing noticeable at all, no use of surround that I could really notice.
There was one REALLY dramatic scene, but it was a LONG TIME coming and just not worth it to me.
Not unhappy that I watched it and finally managed to finish the movie, just to say I have seen it.
But not really recommended from me. YMMV.
It was an intelligent, all too human drama, SAD.
Maybe you will like it better than I did. I kind of like/hate Casey Affleck, remember him from the sneaky, slimy bastard that killed Billy the Kid? or something like that. He plays WEIRD very well.
Be interested to hear if someone liked and got a better copy than I did?
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 4 weeks ago
OK, got the urge to watch a movie tonight, pun intended.
Watched "URGE" with Pierce Brosnan in it, and a bevy of beauties including Bar Paly.
It is a B movie with better actors and production values, but not by too much.
It is a morality play. It was barely interesting, did I mention it has Bar Paly in it?????
PQ was alright, SQ was alright, DTS 5.1 but nothing stood out.
NOT RECOMMENDED.
I would not even watch this one again if it came free on TV and I like nearly everything P. Brosnan has been in.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 4 weeks ago
Tonight I put on one called "The Defenders" that turned out to be a Russian movie, in Russian with English subtitles. The production quality was not that bad, for a B movie. The 5.1 sound was not good, but people are coming around to sound.
Just fast forwarded through seeing their version of super hero types.
Then put on and watched a Korean movie, "Operation Chromite" the Battle for Incheon, with Liam Neeson as Gen. D. MacArthur.
Based on a true story of a hero Korean team that infiltrated the Northern Koreans in Incheon and paved the way for the invasion.
It was rather interesting given what is going on these days, done by the South Koreans it really paints the Supreme leader and his henchmen as total bad guys. Putting it mildly.
PQ was alright, SQ was DTS 5.1 but dubbed in English except for the Americans in the movie.
But the sound field of the battle scenes and shooting/fighting was pretty good use of the surrounds. Great to see movie surround sound catching on around the world.
No, I won't recommend either of these movies, the first one was really rough, the second was historically and timely interesting.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 3 weeks ago
If you kiss enough frogs one just might turn into a Prince. So I have watched enough horrible flix it is about time I hit on a good one.
Watched "Cure for Wellness" which did not look like much of a winner, but was I wrong!!!!
I loved this movie. A Psychodrama thriller or something, more than a horror film, it has Mia Goth in it, and nobody else very recognizable to me.
Extremely well written and acted, Beautifully shot (a LOT at a castle in the Swiss Alps) , my goodness, some of the best Cinematography I have ever seen!!!! PQ off the charts. Every cool camera angle you could think of is used here to fantastic effect.
SQ was by DTS 7.1 and well used. OK, not reference or demo worthy I guess, but the surrounds held helpful information, and in the exciting parts it was LOUD and raucous.
You really had to think too.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!
And did I mention that Mia Goth is in here?
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395

• Pbgalvin's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lovin' GET T1s
    • Thank you received: 633
Pbgalvin Posted 7 years 3 weeks ago
Hitting a lot of concert videos to test out the T Refs in my HT system.
Absolutely loving the sound now that I upgraded to the Butler amp and upgraded the speaker cables.
Tonight checking out
www.amazon.com/Farewell-Live-Melbourne-B...id=1503960926&sr=8-1

It's a great show, and very well recorded. Yum.
2 channel -> GeT Ones.R, Rogue RP-7 pre, Kinki Studio B7 Monoblock amps fed by Oppo 105D, SonicTransport, OpticalRendu w/ 200,000 tracks, Rega RP8 w/ Garrott OPTIM S3 FGS Ruby + Sutherland 20/20 phono pre, PS Audio Powerplant 20
HT -> Marantz 7703, Butler Audio T5150 amp, GeT Ref mains
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 3 weeks ago
Pbgalvin, now yer talking!!!!!
Blu-ray concerts are THE TICKET to Hi End Musical enjoyment in your own home!!!!!
The Eagles Farewell in Melbourne, what is not to love????
This is great music, very well recorded, and a wonderful show!!!
I love Joe Walsh!!!! He is a one man show!!!!
And, yes, I love him with the Eagles. BUT he will wear anything!!!!
Here in Thailand they make and sell these stupid, flimsy, cotton not-sure-what-they-are???? sleeping clothes or something, decorated with elephants and such, not meant to be seen in public by anyone with any sense of fashion or propriety----So, the second half of that concert in Melbourne, that is exactly what Joe is wearing!!!!
I add a pic here but it is hard to see, could not find a better pic. Probably bought them from a shop like this, from a girl like this.
I had to laugh, but love his music!!!!
Glad you are enjoying the music/concert, pls post more of what you are watching/hearing.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, Rackon

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?