file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Moderator Posted 6 years 11 months ago
DolbyHD 7.1
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 11 months ago
Annabelle Wallace, and Sofia Boutella join Tom Cruise for this year's remake of "The Mummy".
Both are beautiful ladies, but Ms Boutella's beauty is seriously lost/messed up in this movie.
Most everything is seriously lost in this movie. Especially lost: good movie scripts, intelligent writing, an intelligible storyline and good acting. I had heard this was not a good movie, but honestly expected to like it better than others; I figured, why would Tom Cruise be in a stupid movie??? Maybe he needs money???
Russell Crowe's character in this movie adds something, just not sure what? Funny/odd.
The PQ is fine but a lot of the movie was dark. CGI is pervasive and OK, boring to me.
SQ by way of Dolby TrueHD 7.1 is interesting. I am guessing here it was maximized for ATMOS, because one scene has action in front of us, and then rolling over us and the sound moves from the front to the rear VERY wonderfully. This was the only sonic treat I noticed, but there were likely more.
I hate when a poor movie, and this is a POOR movie, IMHO, sets us up big time for a sequel. And that is exactly what happens here, my feeling about that, who cares?????
NOT RECOMMENDED, but it could be your cuppa tea for light computer graphics filled entertainment. And I really wanted to like this movie, I usually like this kind.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Watched “Wonder Woman” on my new HT set-up. All the accolades are deserved. PQ is great, SQ is amazing. The bass! Thanks, Wayne, I was prepared to have to move the speakers back after they got moved! And yes, the female lead is worth watching!!!

Have to get past how realistic the story line is, but did that pretty easily.

Remaining comments will be posted on the Atmos thread

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Bring the kids in off the street playing kick the can and have them sit down to watch "Smurfs, the Lost Village".
NO, leave them playing outside, a MUCH better time will be had.
DUMB kids movie. Good PQ color like nearly all cartoon movies have.
WOTAAGHT, Waste of time and a good home theater!!!!

A chick flick movie made from a chick book, with angels, "Fallen". PQ was dark and not great.
SQ was DTS 5.1, some good bass in the "exciting" bits, which weren't really.
Rotten Tomatoes gave it 1 star outta 5. I would say that is about right.
One reviewer commented: "Filled with heavy breathing and intense staring that seem to go on for ages, Fallen could have been a really good movie but the bad script and forced acting did not leave any room for character development."
About right, it was confusing as heck, did not make any sense, bad acting, kept waiting for something OK to happen and all of a sudden we are watching the credits roll!!!! They waiting to show us something in a sequel???????
NOT RECOMMENDED.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by WayneWilmeth. Reason: sp info_outline
Well now, we watched "Alien: Covenant" tonight.
Let me say right off, I am not a fan of the Alien franchise.
And even though I have seen a few of them, and "Prometheus" the prequel wasn't it?
Anyway this one did not make any real sense. The basics were OK, but then there was the WHY??????
But at the end of the day, who cares???
Sorry, you might care but I don't.
I only watched it because the girlie loves anything with aliens, and she (and the wife) screamed a LOT!!!!
PQ was the usual dark but OK. SQ was not noticeable at all. At least I did not hear anything worth mentioning.
That pretty well sums up my viewing experience here, not worth mentioning.
NOT RECOMMENDED. But YMMV if you like the franchise. And they did leave things open for the next one, as they do.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Tonight we watched "Guardians of the Galaxy 2".
In 3D, with DD HD 7.1 sound and the surround sound was pretty well used in some places, very effective it was.
3D was MEH, even though there were a few things flying outta the screen at us, overall I did not think the PQ was that good.
BUT possibly because I did not know what the heck I was looking at most of the time, took a long time to click, just some weird cartoon stuff that escaped me.
Sorry, I am not a fan of the franchise, but I think Bro Toby is, or someone here. So I will try to be kind.
LOTs of explosions, enjoyed that. Having the old boys in there, Russell and Sly did nothing for me.
IF I never have to hear "oh, he is sooooo cute" again, every time that little Groot appeared the girlie went nuts!!!!
It is a children's cartoon show, IMHO.
But your mileage might differ drastically. Likely will as most on the net rate it 4/5 stars. I will concede the cuteness factor.
I did enjoy the music, good old music.
Neutral recommendation here for a family movie (though there were some off color remarks) you may like it, I did not.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?