file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 11 months ago
Oh Mercy!!!!
Tonight we watched "Osiris" or Osiris child, or Osiris Child Science fiction Volume One.
INCOMPREHENSIBLE!!!!!
A low budget Aussie film, PQ was quite alright for a grade B film, SQ was too, DTS 5.1. Nothing reference or interesting.
The lovely Isabel Lucas is totally wasted in this movie.
OK, partly not the film's fault, sorta. We watched it in Thai, as we usually do, put on English subtitles but they were done by computer, TRYING to translate some other language into English, MISERABLE, finally turned the hilarious/ridiculous subtitles off and just tried to guess what was happening.
Nope, could not.
Bust, NOT RECOMMENDED unless you are really hard up for entertainment and LOVE SCI FI. No, I pretty much fit both of those descriptions and I will not put in on in English and watch it again.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Not sure where to post this... this is a shout out to GEt speakers, but since it started with playing the Blu-ray of the movie Mama Mia, I'll post here.

I'm a fan of ABBA music. Saw the musical Mama Mia on stage in Boston years ago. We saw the movie version years ago. Have had the Blu-ray version for a long while, played it on various system iterations.

Our neighbors here in TX are also fans of the movie and ABBA. The next door couple came over today to watch the Blu-ray version. I promised my neighbor's wife I would let her control the volume, thinking she wanted a milder SL version than I would have played.

So we started out at lower SL's, but as the songs came on, she kept pushing the SL up, until we were in the 95-100 db range for the music portions. I kept looking over to the two of them, and the heads were bobbing, comments like "wow!!" kept coming. Holy mackeral!!! The sound! Even at 100 db, the treble was so smooth, not harsh. The Bass! The dynamics were jaw dropping, The music so rich, so natural. The speakers were almost saying, "this is easy, want more?". The sound envelope was so perfect with all nine channels contributing. Didn't sound loud at all, just amazing. But yes the bass was felt in breatbones, even chairs.When the scene showed the floor cracking, it felt like the whole room was shaking! The movie theater version wasn't even close to what we heard.

I've listened to lots of sound systems over the years, from Broadway, other stage performances, concerts, other HT systems, some pretty pricey. I'll say this without equivocation: what I heard today is the most amazing, beautiful, dynamic, gorgeous, gossebump making sound I have ever heard, bar none. Not just me. We were looking at each other at the end, shaking our heads.

I know it's not just speakers, but my hat is off to Sandy and team. I'm beyond impressed. All the channels were just so in sync, not a one wimping out. Wow, oh wow. I am so glad I found GEt years ago. I am never turning back. Still getting goosebumps to settle down. Guess I need to turn up the volume on more tracks!!! ! Man, can these babies crank!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Good story Bro Rick, I hope you charged admission to your wonderful home theater!!!!

I am glad to hear I am not the only one here watching Blu Ray movies!!!! And mostly enjoying them.
But I do hope you get Mama Mia outta yer system BEFORE I come over to visit!!!! Ha ha, seriously I have no idea, never seen it.
I only know that, or think that Meryl Streep is in it and therefore I never even gave it a chance, dislike her very much (and this was before her self important speech quoted from below).
But sounds like that made me miss a good one.
Well, except it sounds like a musical, so once again, GLAD you are getting that one outta yer system, ha ha.
BIG world, LOTS of musical and theatrical tastes, huh????
Enjoy, happy listening, watching,
God Bless,
Wayne

"Hollywood is crawling with outsiders and foreigners, and if we kick 'em all out, you'll have nothing to watch but football and mixed martial arts, which are not the arts," she (Meryl Streep)said.
Attachments:

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I have already reported on it, but tonight I finally had "Kong Skull Island" onboard in 3D. Well, it was pretty great!!!! A bit dark, but there was lots of stuff coming outta the screen right at ya. Not bad for post production 3D.
A comment on sound though, since that is what we are all about.
I was watching the movie by myself, but with my lovely wife sitting nearby. So I turned the sound down a little and turned the sub down even more. Well, when it came time for the biggest battle scene with Kong I couldn't stand it any longer, I turned the sound up. That did not really help, so I brought the sub back up to -20, which is still 5 dB lower than I usually listen, but it made all the difference in the world!!!! All the sounds popped back into place, got a foundation, grounded them and the movie took off.
Blood and water were splashing up onto the camera lens and those drops were right in my face with the 3D effect in place.
REALLY enjoyed the movie, though it was WAY weaker on the female part than any of the predecessors.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 11 months ago
Thanks for the Kong review, Wayne. Just got the 2D Atmos version. I’ll watch in the next couple days.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 10 months ago
Bro Rick,
Let us know how you liked it?

Watching 24 Legacy, with the new guy, NOT Keiffer Sutherland. It is just not the same, but it is a winning formula for good entertainment, IMHO. So still enjoying it.
I only got it in DVD and the sound is only in POS, so I am having to matrix the surround with DTS Neo 6. Not terrible.

Gotta go, football time and the only guys I have on my fantasy team that are not hurt.......... have a bye this week!!!!
BUT my Houston Astros made it into the BIG SHOW!!!!
OK, I don't watch Baseball, but this will be one WS I am willing to make an exception.

Hope you all are backing winners!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?