file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 10 months ago
The Beautiful and wonderful actress Naomi Watts stars in a scary one, "Shut In" playing in our home theater tonight.
I saw some rated it as high as 3/5 stars, but Rotten Tomatoes only gave it 1 star. I guess around 2 is about right.
It is just too predictable. WAY too predictable. But it is not really a B movie, the acting is pretty good, the lines are fairly well written. The sets are swell, so the PQ is fine as wine.
SQ was by way of DTS 5.1 and was quite serviceable. Nothing stood out, but the shocker bits---you know, where they try to scare you by shreiking the music? Surround was used, but not very noticeably.
Nothing really wrong here just not quite what all I had hoped for from this movie.
RECOMMENDED for a lite scare entertainment.
Naomi has just been is some of the most wonderful movies, so seeing her in this was a letdown.
YMMV.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 10 months ago
Maybe this has been posted/reviewed already???

Played "Baby Driver" this afternoon. Sound track is DTS HD Master Audio 5.1, which my receiver converts to DTS:X plus Neuro with heights added.

No plot spoilers, but the action moves along, no slow spots. Good cast. SQ is good, maybe not reference, but rockin' nonetheless. But action scenes definitely POP. Entertaining. Would watch again. Recommended.

If you like action movies with a good plot, try it!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks Rick, Baby Driver is on my list to watch.

I hate it that I nearly always have to pan movies as being pretty much horrible. But I just have to call em the way I sees em.
Tonight I am thrilled to report on a movie I REALLY enjoyed!!!!
"Hollow Point" is a border town Southwestern movie that is surprisingly good. I think it is like a year old, and must not have done too well at the box office, since I am late hearing about it. All the acting crew are STRONG. Well written, surprises throughout the movie, it is VERY well done, bloody, violent but well done.
PQ is just great, good enough for this kind of movie.
SQ is by way of DTS 5.1 and I loved it. Not a lot of bass, and the surround is not used much either, but when it is, it is perfectly well done. Realistic sound. The music at the end of the movie stands out, it is stunning.
RECOMMENDED, but put the kids to bed first, it is ROUGH.
Real people, believable characters, especially for us DEADWOOD fans, a good story, OK, not great but good.
4 outta 5 from me.
That is way higher than usual lately,
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I am on a roll!!! Has anyone reviewed this one yet?
Tonight we watched "Fate of the Furious" which it seems is #8 in the Fast and the Furious franchise.
I am not a fan of these movies, but this is a MUST SEE!!!!!
The movie opens supposedly in Havana, Cuba with a bevy of babes all around cars. YES, this movie is about cars, vehicles, things that go and usually go fast.
We are joined in this movie with two members of the Game of Thrones cast, the red--headed man and the beautiful Nathalie Emmanuel. She is pretty much wasted in this movie though. But we are also joined by the lovely Charlize Theron who is not wasted in this movie. At least her acting ability is not wasted.
Yes, Michelle Rodriguez and Elsa Pataky are both here too. And the usual muscle bound guys.
But we are not here for acting, or lines or even a very interesting plot, although this one is pretty good IMHO.
They do things with cars and wreck more cars in this movie than I have ever even thought of thinking about!!!!!
This movie is superbly shot, choreographed, imagined, it is AMAZING!!!!!! My wife kept commenting on how much money they must have spent to shoot this movie!!!!
PQ is awesome!!!!
SQ is close to being reference probably, my copy is in DTS 7.1 though I am sure it is in ATMOS for some of you.
Honestly I cannot say I noticed the sound, it just served the movie, and the movie was so mind bending that I forgot to listen.
I do not care anything about cars, or fast driving, or any of that, but honestly you have got to watch this one.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Tonight I watched a scary movie, or it was supposed to be. "Don't Knock Twice". It was sorta scary.
Especially until I sorta lost interest.
PQ was pretty good, a good bit of dark but not all by any means.
SQ was by way of DTS 5.1 and it was quite alright. Nothing jumped out at me, ha ha, just joking.
I guess my biggest kick was that I just did not really understand it. And I don't really care that I didn't.
I saw online that it was rated between 1 1/2 stars and 2 1/2 stars outta 5. I reckon somewhere in there is about right.
Coulda been a LOT better, coulda been worse.
Not really recommended, but OK, I certainly would not buy it again. OH, and for a movie called Don't knock twice, there was twice knocking all through the movie!!!!
I guess one thing that made me say MEH about this one, today I just happened to catch "8MM" on TV. I watched it and was amazed at how good it was, though I have seen it a long time ago. It was chuck full of really good actors. Well written, acted and shot. Highly recommended if you have not seen it, go back and watch a really good movie.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey Guys and Girls,
I watched another pretty good one tonight, "The Hunter's Prayer". It has more producers and exec. producers than actors, but I guess they helped. Sam Worthington, the lead actor was even one of the producers.
Most all the action is set in Europe and the PQ was fine, some really good looking shots.
And SQ was by way of DTS 5.1 and I liked it a lot. It was not reference stuff, but well done, the surround really worked, especially realistic gun fight scenes, with bullets flying and shell casings dropping. VERY realistic, says he who thankfully would not know what that sounds like at all!!!!
Good acting, well written, some lovely looking actresses. You would have to ask the wife, I guess the guys looked good too.
OK, this is not Academy Award stuff, but for an evenings' entertainment it worked well for me.
I enjoyed it, RECOMMENDED.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?