file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 2 months ago

Boys and Girls,
I am finding a lot of interest and satisfaction watching this 3 hour long, 3 part saga (Documentary) of the life of L. V. Beethoven by the BBC.
It is giving me a somewhat greater insight into his wonderful music. Of special note to me in the second episode I just completed, it explained a bit about the 5th Symphony compared to the 6th, both premiered on the same evening.
It just helps me "get it" more than ever.
Bro Rick, I thought of you several times while watching, that this MIGHT appeal to you. There is a lot here about the emotions from which he wrote, and perhaps why I find this so moving.
Anyway, it is pretty well done, if anybody is interested.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 2 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

WayneWilmeth wrote:

Boys and Girls,
I am finding a lot of interest and satisfaction watching this 3 hour long, 3 part saga (Documentary) of the life of L. V. Beethoven by the BBC.
It is giving me a somewhat greater insight into his wonderful music. Of special note to me in the second episode I just completed, it explained a bit about the 5th Symphony compared to the 6th, both premiered on the same evening.
It just helps me "get it" more than ever.
Bro Rick, I thought of you several times while watching, that this MIGHT appeal to you. There is a lot here about the emotions from which he wrote, and perhaps why I find this so moving.
Anyway, it is pretty well done, if anybody is interested.
God Bless,
Wayne

Thanks, Wayne, for the heads up!

Yes, it does appeal to me. Found it on Youtube, not Amazon, so will watch/listen with earphones. Did you find a Blu-ray version? If so, where?

We mere music listening mortals will never fully understand how the one in a billion, or more, genius brain of a Beethoven can create such hauntingly beautiful, transporting music, (even after going deaf!), but I love to explore more about what his life, and music creation process, was like.

So I'll watch all three segments on Youtube.

Thanks again! Keep the good stuff coming.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Yes, sorry Bro Rick, I am watching it on YouBube as well.
Free.
I do have the movie "Immortal Beloved" about the one woman he finally really found love with, unrequited I believe. That is on DVD, but in this doc they mention that newer research suggests she may have been the wife of one of his friends, and he could not have her without hurting his friend, so they kept it cool and he lost once again.
Too true about being such a genius AND DEAF too!!!! He does explain in his writings that he can hear every note, in his head!!!!
Good stuff, thanks for sharing with me.
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Not really on thread, but I enjoyed this interview of Steve Guttenberg on what an audiophile is.
You may all have heard it, I had not.
Enjoyable.

I can relate.
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Hey, Wayne

I finished watching the three BBC segments about the life of Beethoven. Good stuff! Though a musical prodigy, he didn't escape the ups, downs and trials of life either. Sad that when his ninth symphony was first played, in Vienna, he was so deaf he literally couldn't hear any of it as he sat there. Though he did tell others that he knew the sound of every orchestral instrument in his head. Amazing. Apparently it was the first use of voices/singing in a symphony. Groundbreaking.

Thanks again for the heads up!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Moderator. Reason: correction info_outline
Thanks Bro Rick (AKA DAD),
I am only half way through the 3rd act, for some reason part is missing and it is broken up, over here at least.
Yes, bad things happen to people, sometimes good people, though I suspect LVB was not as morally correct and higher up than his sister in law as he seemed to think. Yet, what would his music have been IF he had enjoyed an easy life? Perhaps not much, or nothing at all???? Who knows?
Anyway, I am behind on my reporting.
Have to admit to taking a break, I went back and watched the SuperBowl again, I am jonesing big time for FOOTBALL!!!! What an incredible come from behind finish that was!!!!! Only those who hate the Brady bunch will not agree.
Then I watched Jordan Spieth kill it in the Open, way to go Bro Jordan!!!!! What a finish that was as well!!!!!
The girlie wanted to watch Disney's remake of "Beauty and the Beast", a story about her mom and I.
So we watched it, I played it from the beginning, including the Overture. They were miffed, not knowing what an overture is, nor why all that music played "before" the movie started, but I thought it was a classic touch!!!
The music in general and for the overture in particular was pretty good.
As you remember, I HATE musicals. So this was not my Chip, I mean, my cuppa tea.
IF I rated La La Land a 3 outta 10, I would rate this a 6 or 7.
CGI takes over in this movie where it was all cartoon before.
Emma Watson is wonderful. Other great actors in it for a bit, or for voices. Oh and Kevin Kline.
PQ is superb.
SQ is 7.1 and the surrounds are actually used, to quite good effect sometimes. IF you want you can call this a REFERENCE / Demo disc for children!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?