file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 3 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by WayneWilmeth. Reason: Mo info_outline
Another movie tonight, Sat night movie and popcorn.
Tonight it was "Hell Or High Water" with Jeff Bridges and Chris Pine.
The awesome Amber Midthunder has a minor part too. Too minor if you ask me, but nobody did.
Although it was filmed (beautifully BTW) in New Mexico, it is supposed to be Texas. The music is the only thing that drew my attention to the DTS 5.1 sound track, Billy Joe Shaver, Chris Stapleton, Towns van Zant, Ray Willie Hubbard are just a few of the amazing singers featured in this movie. It sounded great.
But nothing reference here.
Just good, but SLOW story telling. They could have made this to be a Bonny and Clyde movie, could have made sorta Robin Hood heroes outta these guys, but did not take the cheap story route. Just pretty honest down and dirty story of poor folks managing.
Like I said, it was slow, a bit West Texas atmospheric, especially with the C&W music, and dust.
But I liked it and recommend it. YMMV.
Oh, and look fast, Amber Midthunder is in it.
God Bless,
Wayne
P.S. Does anyone else think Jeff Bridges and Lucinda Williams talk alike????
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 3 months ago
Hey, Wayne

Couldn't find the Blu-ray version of War Requiem on Amazon. CD yes. So, I've found a DEEZER 16 bit FLAC version to listen to on either SONY headphones, or, ....pause, a Bose Wave :dry: , through SONOS here in NH. I'd have brought the Blu-ray version back to TX and GEt's come Sept if I had found it. I do find that your tastes in classical music line up with mine...

I'm feeling a bit GEt deprived here. Gee, Moderator Dude, can you spur on the great engineering team (and Sandy) to jack up headphone development on the priority list ?? I can't begin to describe what a joy it would be to have access to GEt sound wherever I was!!!! GEt headphones, I'm here and waiting!!!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yes Rick, I am wishing you could see/hear this concert in all its glory in Blu-ray on your fantastic system.
I think I bought the last one Amazon had, but they should get more in, and hopefully you will have it when you get back down to God's country!!!
Have fun up there,
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 7 years 3 months ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: Another movie tonight, Sat night movie and popcorn.
Tonight it was "Hell Or High Water" with Jeff Bridges and Chris Pine.
The awesome Amber Midthunder has a minor part too. Too minor if you ask me, but nobody did.
Although it was filmed (beautifully BTW) in New Mexico, it is supposed to be Texas. The music is the only thing that drew my attention to the DTS 5.1 sound track, Billy Joe Shaver, Chris Stapleton, Towns van Zant, Ray Willie Hubbard are just a few of the amazing singers featured in this movie. It sounded great.
But nothing reference here.
Just good, but SLOW story telling. They could have made this to be a Bonny and Clyde movie, could have made sorta Robin Hood heroes outta these guys, but did not take the cheap story route. Just pretty honest down and dirty story of poor folks managing.
Like I said, it was slow, a bit West Texas atmospheric, especially with the C&W music, and dust.
But I liked it and recommend it. YMMV.
Oh, and look fast, Amber Midthunder is in it.
God Bless,
Wayne
P.S. Does anyone else think Jeff Bridges and Lucinda Williams talk alike????

I really enjoyed this movie. Just good old fashioned story telling brought to life by a good script and performances. Not much to marvel at from a technical side as I recall, but I believe the picture was pretty solid.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Can't believe it, another good one!!!!
Ben Affleck's "Live By Night" is pretty slow but really good!!!!
Ben is a force of Hollywood now, this is his pic.
PQ is good, great when the movie gets down to Florida, outta the NE.
SQ is by way of TRUE HD 7.1 and was not reference per se, but was EXCELLENT. When the bullets get flying it was all there.
Zoe Saldana, Elle Fanning, Sienna Miller are all in this, beautifying things, some excellent actors all around including some of the guys.
This movie has a lot of emotional content, an interesting story, again it moves rather slowly, but has it all.
RECOMMENDED.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Mercy, I am on an unusual roll of good movies!!!!
OK, admittedly, I really like M. Night Shyamalan movies. Some better than others of course, "SIGNS" was the BEST IMHO.
But perhaps this one tonight, "Split" is right up there with the best, sort of a follow up of "Unbreakable" which was also a good one.
PQ is fine in most places and spectacular shots of the spiral staircase in the Doctor's place make it remarkable.
SQ was DTS 5.1 and nothing really stood out to me. But it might have been pretty good, I might have missed something, I was engrossed in the movie.
James McAvoy puts on an acting clinic, makes it look easy. I thought he did a GREAT job not OVER-ACTING which would have been WAY tempting to do. Anya Taylor-Joy deserves a shout out too.
This one is WELL RECOMMENDED, it is not formulaic, not very predictable, well written and acted, just what the doctor ordered on a slow Monday night. YMMV.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?