file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 2 months ago
OK, OK, we got movies in today. My daughter here visiting highly recommended "LA LA LAND", so we watched it.
She had seen it before.
We agreed we don't like Jazz. We split on musicals, she liked this one, I reckon not.
First, my copy was in Dolby ATMOS, though I do not have ATMOS, it was in 7.1 surround it said, I could not prove that. There was not any noticeable surround information that I noticed, and it is not like I was that into the movie that I could not notice.
Perhaps IF I had put my ears to the surrounds???? Nah, not worth it, not interested.
Does anybody else agree with me that DTS is much superior to Dolby True?
PQ was just OK, the acting was pretty good from Ms Stone, no one else did much for me, neither did the story.
And the ending sucked.
I mean, it was pretty well done (I liked that it was not all that full on singing and dancing), but there was not one song in the movie that is memorable or interesting (let alone good) in the least to me.
YMMV a LOT. So many people liked it, so I just leave it that I do not enjoy musicals.
NOT RECOMMENDED.
Glad to get this one outta the way.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 7 years 2 months ago
Wayne: So your daughter doesn't like jazz...i'd disown her! LoL
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 2 months ago
Hey, Wayne

Did love "LA LA Land" (my wife's a dancer). So can't help you there.

Re DTS vs Dolby, for clean, pure sound, I'll almost always choose DTS for movies. But for music, Dolby Surround with height channels upmixed, is often the best.

Whatever floats your audio boat and best matches your listening preferences! :)

Love all the different perspectives on what's good, or not!!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yes, Bro Rick, it is good to have differing opinions here.
I did not mind the dancing in the movie, it was alright, I just thought the songs sucked.
So, for something completely different, I watched "John Wick Chapter 2" tonight.
I was surprised when I went to get this poster pic that it was rated so highly on IMDb, 4 stars and Rotten Tomatoes, 4 1/2 stars.
They must have watched a different movie than I did. This was just monotonous killing, killing, killing over and over, boring. Even mirrors could not make the endless killing more interesting. Even adding some decent actors like L. Fishburn, could not. Some love interest that was not dead MIGHT help the movie, humanize it.
The PQ was very good, the SQ was in Dolby Digital 7.1 and was pretty good, served the movie well. One gun shot nearly scared my wife to death, she was sitting near but not watching.
But nothing reference.
I wanted to like it, expected to like it, I liked the first movie alright. I mean, kill everybody: they killed his dog and took his car. I get it.
This one made less sense and was not as entertaining to me, VERY well done, choreographed and filmed. The acting was never Mr. Reeves strong suite anyway. And then they shamelessly set up a 3rd one, my goodness, not watching it.
Mildly recommended as mindless entertainment, better than beating the children.
Will not be watching this one again.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395

• Pbgalvin's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lovin' GET T1s
    • Thank you received: 633
Pbgalvin Posted 7 years 2 months ago
Hey folks,
Possibly a bit off topic (I can start a new thread if you'd prefer), but wondering about 4K Bluray. Anyone playing those yet?
I'm usually an early tech adopter but haven't gone 4K yet.
Thinking about the Sony XBR-75X900E TV, and the new Oppo 205 bluray + audiophile player to drive my HT system
(where I'll have T Ref Mains).
Seeing the TV in person, in the show room, it looks pretty good. But wondering how regular blurays upscaled will look and
how 4K blurays at home will look. Experiences appreciated!
2 channel -> GeT Ones.R, Rogue RP-7 pre, Kinki Studio B7 Monoblock amps fed by Oppo 105D, SonicTransport, OpticalRendu w/ 200,000 tracks, Rega RP8 w/ Garrott OPTIM S3 FGS Ruby + Sutherland 20/20 phono pre, PS Audio Powerplant 20
HT -> Marantz 7703, Butler Audio T5150 amp, GeT Ref mains
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
No, sorry Pbgalvin, I have not taken the bait.
But there is a thread on the Oppo 205 and I would highly recommend you need one for playing shiny discs for your new References.

Tonight we watched "The Space Between Us" and I was pretty impressed that it turned out better than expected, and better than the first hour promised. The boy from Ender's Game was the star, my daughter really likes him, so this had to be watched as soon as we got it. PQ and SQ were nothing special though the sound was great in the music, just not surround effects. When the music swelled it was in all the speakers for a 5.1 bonanza. The story was a little bit of a reach, throw away your science book before watching, but the heart of the story (bad pun) was right there.

Then the one I could not wait for, "The Great Wall" takes Matt Damon to far away China and what a ride it was.
I saw that IMDb only rated this 3 stars and Rotten Tomatoes only 2 stars, I guess that proves that I don't like the same kind of movies other people like and dislike the ones they do. I thought this was a terrific movie!!!!
PQ is pretty stunning, spectacular sometimes. SQ was Dolby Digital 7.1 so not very nuanced or outstanding in my system, probably ATMOS in someone else's system, but was dang near reference in some places. I definitely could use it to show off my bass in all the surrounding Triton Towers and my sub with all the explosions. And things were whizzing by quite impressively.
Both of these movies are RECOMMENDED, but for all the CGI, I was amazed at how good a story the Great Wall had, and dazzled by the set and costumes, the brilliance of the fun spectacle fighting against such creatures in unique ways. And now I know why they had to build such an awesome wall.
Don't miss this one.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?