file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 4 months ago
Hi there boys and girls, I am still catching up, watching movies that I previously owned and the disc got corrupted (perfect sound forever???????) and I decided I enjoy the movie enough, like it enough that I want it back in my collection. So last night I watched an oldie but goodie, "12 Monkeys".
Time travel has always interested me, plus Terry Gilliam has a stupendous eye and vision, his version of "futuristic" is so retro trashy that it just cracks me up. And the acting is so mixed in this movie. This is by far the finest acting I have seen from Brad Pitt, some of the worst from Ms Stowe and so very mixed by Bruce Willis.
The writing/story is superb, heck this movie spawned its own made for TV show, which I never watched yet.
PQ was very disappointing even in this blu-ray. I previously only had this on dvd, and splashed out the money to get it on blu-ray, but was underwhelmed. Sound is nothing special either in DTS 5.1.
But fun to watch nonetheless. I will watch it a few more times just for Brad Pitt's scenes in the mad house!!!!
YMMV, I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it .
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 3 months ago
More catching up on discs that have died on me. So I re-ordered them and am watching, slowly.
Watched "Dark City" tonight, a DARK, atmospheric movie, ha ha, couldn't resist that.
The PQ is absolutely exceptional, especially black blacks!!!!
SQ was much better than I remembered, with DTS 7.1 and some serious LFE especially when they are shifting the town around.
This is not the greatest movie, but worth a recommendation. People used to use this one as reference PQ and possibly demo worthy, but there are better around now. Still for a 1998 movie, this one has held up quite well. Keiffer Sutherland is pretty good in this one as is Jennifer Connelly, or maybe that is just her lovely face.
Recommended.
God Bless,
Wayne
P.S. Bro T. I was gonna make a cold brew coffee comment about using cocao nibs to make chocolaty taste not really being worth the cost and trouble, it just dilutes the coffee, IMHO. But I can't find the coffee thread for anything now and the search does NOT WORK.
Attachments:

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 7 years 3 months ago
Wayne: Some Coffee Questions is in "Buying Advice"...go figure.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last night I watched "Pulse", a sorta ghosty, scary, sci-fi Apocalypse thriller, OK< NO, it was not thrilling at all.
It was an old one that I somehow decided I had to order from the Amazon, not sure why now. It has the lovely Kristen Bell and Christina Milian in it. But they are not enough to make this a recommend.
PQ was green blue tint to everything, UGLY. SQ nothing special.
IF this was your idee of a great movie, pls correct me, but I found it only very mildly entertaining, just better than watching june bugs.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
RIP Roger Moore!!!!
Loved him in the Saint, as 007 and in Ffolkes, many more movies. A GREAT entertainer, he will be missed!!!!
Tonight I am still catching up, funny but I never was able to buy this one in Thailand, so had to order it from Amazon. "Hansel and Gretel, Witch hunters"
It has Gemma Arterton in it and that guy in lots of movies now. The PQ is SUPER, perhaps reference. SQ is only 5.1 but still great. But probably not reference.
It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, except for language and some witch loving. But there is LOTS of ugly witch killing too.
I quite enjoyed this one, and did I mention that Gemma Arterton is the star????
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Well last night I finally got around to watching the latest "Ben Hur" when I realized that my wife and daughter would not be watching it with me.
Probably best they didn't as it was LONG and would have bored them.
It is, as nearly everybody knows, a side story to the Passion of the Christ, and a pretty good story. This one enjoyed the marvels of modern technology and did not seem to gain much at all from having them, what Charlton Heston and co. did not have. The picture was a little better, as it should be, and the sound was much improved, 7.1.
But it was LONG. And the historical and geographical anomalies (I have been there and there is no place an amphitheater could have been below Golgatha, though there is a bus parking lot!) just have to be overlooked, suspend disbelief.
Morgan Freeman is in this one so that makes it all right.
Recommended.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?