file Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 3 months ago
Back again, FINALLY finished EXTANT, bout time!!!!!
Has someone reviewed "Patriots' Day" yet? I am sure someone must have, but I can't remember, pardon me.
I am BEHIND.
Mark Wahlberg and Peter Berg team up again here for the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing movie.
Good stuff, VERY well done IMHO.
I listened in DTS 7.1 though there was a Dolby Digital track, might have been ATMOS, who knows?
Nothing reference here for me, though the SQ supported the movie well enough. Deepwater Horizon was MUCH BETTER SOUND.
PQ was fine, well shot.
Michelle Mohnaghan is in this movie (not nearly enough), she is about the cutest actress there is.
I know this has a sensitive subject for some and I thought they handled it VERY well, but perhaps that is just my bias and beliefs speaking.
YMMV, but HIGHLY RECOMMENDED from me.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Finally watched "Allied" tonight. Last night's movie had a LOT more action, though this had a little. This was paced much slower, but this movie had grace and style. The costumes were awesome and I am not into that sort of thing at all. The acting was first rate, the writing was wonderful, GOOD story!!!!
The best movie I have seen in a while.
SQ was DTS 5.1 quite alright, served the movie very well, but only a couple of places where it was noticeable. Fine sound.
PQ was really good, just what such a good movie deserves.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED entertainment.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey Boys and Girls,
Tonight I watched "The Infiltrator" one of the best films of the year, it says so right on the box!!!!
Seriously, I like Bryan Cranston, the rest of the cast was good, good story, sorta.
True Story, WOW!!!!
SQ was DTS 5.1 and adequate for the job, PQ was fine as well. Nothing reference or outstanding here in my opinion.
RECOMMENDED entertainment.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by WayneWilmeth. Reason: mo info_outline
Just so you will know it is really me, I will report on another Dud movie I watched tonight.
"Incarnate" has Aaron Eckhart and some other OK actors, at least Carice van Houten of Game of Thrones fame.
It is supposed to be a scary movie with exorcism but not of the religious kind, generally physiological exorcism.
OK, it is rubbish.
One reviewer, Paul Asay said, "So is it possible to make an effective exorcism story without, y'know, all that God stuff? No. And Incarnate proves it."
The SQ was DTS 5.1 and nothing to report. PQ was dark as these movies usually are, nothing to report here either.
Just a waste of time movie.
YMMV, but not recommended even for an evening's entertainment.
I will be keeping it though, as opposed to some that I have dumped the movie in the bin and kept the blu ray box. Becoz, if someone says they don't believe in all that possession stuff, I can point to this movie and ask, Whatever possessed me to buy that piece of crap movie?????
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
On a roll here with "Cop Car"!!! Don't get me wrong, I LOVE BACON!!!!!!
I think it is about the greatest thing in the world, but Kevin Bacon, the actor, not so much!!!!
OK, not at all, and this movie SUCKED. But in a sorta funny, down home way.
SQ and PQ were not worth noticing, nor was the script, nor acting.
It was almost funny in the way FARGO was funny, but not nearly so!!!!
Not recommended. I see Rotten Tomatoes gave it 4/5 stars, what are those guys smoking?????
God Bless, Wayne
Attachments:

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Warning, the fat lady does sing in this one!!!!! Soprano, and so does a Tenor and Baritone. And they are all REALLY good, but if you are looking for rock and roll, this one ain't it!!!!

Bought my self this one for my birthday, learned a trick from Bro Anthem!!!
I had downloaded a Hi Res version of Benjamin Britten's "War Requiem" after a snippet was included on my Cowon Plenue M2 DAP. It was DSD and blew me away, so I decided to go for buying and downloading the whole concert. Well, that is great, sounds great, but I REALLY like, no love to watch!!!!
Found that the 50th Anniversary concert (celebrating and looking back to when B Britten himself conducted the first concert 50 years ago) was on Blu-ray and bought it. It finally came from the Amazon and I watched it last night.
It is set in Coventry Cathedral, which is AWESOME, strikingly lovely!!
The mid sized City of Birmingham Sym. Orchestra along with their Chorus was situated at one end of the long cathedral, their Youth Chorus was located at the rear, far away, with the organ back and on the side.
Andris Nelsons conducts wonderfully, sympathetically. Very low key conductor, marvelous face, enjoy watching whatever he conducts.
BUT this one is special folks.
You know a Requiem is a mass for the dead, right? It is in Latin. And it is sung by the Choir, some antiphonally (or at least alternately) by the youth choir in the rear of the building. Their sound comes from the rear of the theater as this is recorded in DD 5.1 beautiful sound. I would give the sound a 4.5/5 and the PQ a 10/5!!!! This is the best looking, best shot concert I ever saw, period!!!!!
The camera got very up close and personal on the singers and instruments as well.
OK, the mass is in Latin, but there are English subtitles that explain what they are singing. BUT the soloists sing in English!!!! The subtitles help there as well, I REALLY got it.
The soloists are singing rather modern poetry that starkly portrays the tragedy and waste of WAR. Set against a beautiful and sad funeral mass, this is anti-war. Not in a long hair hippie sorta way, but in a read tragic sensibilities way. Every one knows war is bad, sad, wrong, terrible, but this portrays that musically. Shockingly. To me. Emotionally.
Touching, moving music.
There are so many wonderful things going on in this concert, I cannot begin to tell them all, I am sure I did not notice them all.
The Orchestra might have some fantastic players in it, I am not sure, because the score (at least to my uninformed mind) does not require virtuosity, this is pretty straightforward music, nothing stood out. The choral singing is rather more interesting.
Bro Art, did you ever sing in this one? Want to chime in???
But the Soprano lady is placed in among the choir and sings her parts in Latin as well as the choir. She is bewailing the dead and wrongful death AS PART OF THE LITURGY and mass. BUT the dudes solos are standing near the conductor presenting their case against death and destruction. So interesting and moving.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, BUT it does have a lot of singing, surprised me that I liked it this well.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Which Blu-ray did you watch last night?