• Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
imahawki Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by imahawki. info_outline

Moderator wrote:

christo wrote: Hey again imahawki

I have the predecessor 809 along with exactly the same problem. You know that sometimes companies slap a new number on a product and make maybe one or two small changes, if any at all, but most of the parts remain literally the same. I have no doubt that the problems exist within the Onkyo receivers. I assure you that I have spent at as much time as you trying to figure out how to solve it. In the end the best I could do with the T2's as the only bass sources was to set the LFE trim level to -10 or something like that if I am remembering correctly. Like me, you probably don't have the advanced features that Art has that might help. I am sorry to say that we both bought what should have been decent Onkyo products but got units with built-in problems, likely because of bad QC or someone's bad idea.

Believe me when I say, I feel your pain!

Sorry that I have nothing positive
Christo

My apologies Imahawki, apparently you were not the only one.

No worries at all. I think between me, Christo and T Cobe there's a pattern with Onkyo / Integra. I don't think there is anything wrong with our particular units, I'm guessing it is an software / implementation issue.

I did some reading up on Audyssey while trying to figure this all out. Apparently Audyssey merely reports the results of the measurements to the AVR and the manufacturer determines what to do with those results via their own software. Sounds like Onkyo has made some funky decisions in their implementation.

I'm on track to replace my AVR between now and January. I can definitely report back if the new one suffers the same oddities or not. I will definitely be looking to a different brand (most likely Marantz at this stage).
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Hello again imahawki,

I have owned my Onkyo NR 3009 for several years. Actually, it is the second NR 3009 I have owned. The first one developed a problem in one of the audio channels near the end of the warranty period. I took the unit to the nearest Warranty Dealer in Winston Salem NC (about 200 miles away). They kept the unit for over a month, messed around with it, and supposedly repaired it. After another trip to pick it up, I hooked it up only to find the same problem. I immediately contacted Onkyo directly and convinced them to send me a replacement unit. They did so and I returned the original unit with a pre-paid shipping label. I have not had any problems with the replacement unit.

Recently, I helped a friend with her Onkyo Receiver, which was exhibiting noise in the Center Audio Channel. She carried the unit to the same Winston Salem authorized dealer. After a month, they reported that they could find nothing wrong. She paid their minimum service charge and brought the unit back home. When I hooked it up, the same problem was immediately audible. I had already substituted another AV Receiver in place of the Onkyo to confirm that the problem resided within the Onkyo.

I will probably be contacting Onkyo again in her behalf, but her unit is a bit older than mine and well out of warranty, so I don't expect much help from Onkyo.

I am really disappointed to learn of your experiences and of T. Cobe's experiences with Onkyo products. It is sad when a trusted name loses the formula and delivers unreliable products. It is even more disappointing to discover that they do not have a reliable service network.

I am not in the market for a new AV Receiver, but, if I were, it would not be an Onkyo/Integra.

Good luck with finding your next AV Receiver.

Side Note: My Iowa connection is: My daughter graduated from Morningside College in Sioux City in 1992 with a twin-major degree in Biology and Chemistry. She sang in the Morningside Chorale for four years. She is now a veterinarian and lives in Raleigh, NC.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Dwight, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Dwight's Avatar Offline school
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 150
Dwight Posted 8 years 10 months ago
I own a Onkyo 5508 preamp & looking to replace it within the next 24 months. I have had it repaired several times & it is probably my weakest link within my system. I agree that Onkyo has definitely dropped the ball. Like you I will never own another Onkyo & will probably look at Marantz for my surround processor needs.
HT 7.3.4
Triton Ones
Triton One R
Super Sat 50's
Super Sat 50c's
Super Sat 3’s
140 inch 2.35 Elunevision Audio Weave AT screen
JVC X790
Pana. UB9000
Bryston 4Bsst2 power amp
Marantz MM7055 5 channel Power amp
Marantz M7025 2 channel Power amp (2)
Marantz AV7703 Preamp/processor
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Thanks Guys,
I don't want to trash any brand, so I will just say that IF you are going to stay with a receiver, then I would agree you should at least audition Marantz. They are not the most "HI FI" sounding, but they are musical and natural sounding to me.
BUT IF you are going with separates, with a processor and separate amps, then for a little more money I think you should consider the Emotiva XMC-1. Sound wise, by that I mean DAC and bypassed pure analog signals I think this is up there with $5000 processors. For room correction the DIRAC that is in the Emo XMC-1 is as good as up to around $10,000 processors.
It is not perfect, and for those wanting ATMOS you need to go with the Marantz or something. But for a processor with great room correction, clean, pure sound, audition the XMC-1.
Hope this helps,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dwight, rjohn79395

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 10 months ago
I wonder if the current sale on the XMC-1 is an indication of an update. I agree that buying up a level generally pays off (hence why I bit the bullet and bought the T1 and SCXXL instead of my originally intended T2 and SCXL). However, I wouldn't call the price gap between say a Marantz 6010 at $1400 and an XMC-1 at $2000 with no amplification "a little more money". The Emotiva also lacks HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2. I'm sure it was a great bargain when it was announced but its a little long in the tooth to be paying a premium over a decent AVR to get less.

I'm not dissing Emotiva. This is an internal struggle for me between sonic qualities and features. But I'd be in for around $3300 if I went the Emotiva route vs. a $1400 Marantz receiver. Also I wonder how much of that Emotiva power going to my surrounds would be just a waste. Do I need an available 800 watts+ for my Aon surrounds?

I'd consider it if the XMC-1 replacement had Atmos and updated HDMI but I'm guessing that unit will go for at least the original XMC-1 price of $2500 instead of the $2000 sale price.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Hi Imahawki,
I already have all my amps, so I really only look at pre-processors. And I am comparing the XMC-1 to the Marantz AV8802 that Crutchfield is selling for $4000. Yes, it has ATMOS but I don't want that. HDCP 2.2, I don't need that, but I could upgrade to that board when the time comes IF necessary.
But I think the XMC-1 really is up there with the Krell Foundation ($6500), or Bryston/Classe gear.
So when I got the Emo for around $1450 I thought it was a good deal, still do. Even at $2500 I would buy it again.
Hope this helps,
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back