file High LFE levels

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
imahawki Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by imahawki. info_outline
With all due respect that doesn't answer any questions or explain what is going on. I feel like I'm getting a run around. I was told Audyssey causes more problems than it solves (even though that has NOT been my experience in the past) and to use an SPL meter. So I used an SPL meter and you're telling me that won't work either. Just wing it. Very frustrating.

1) Yes, the SPL meter is off at 20Hz but its only off by 1.5dB across most of the bass range. The pink noise AVRs send out for LFE level calibration cover more than 20Hz.

10.0 hz: +20.0 db
12.5 hz: +16.5 db
16.0 hz: +11.5 db
20.0 hz: + 7.5 db
25.0 hz: + 5.0 db
31.5 hz: + 3.0 db
40.0 hz: + 2.5 db
50.0 hz: + 1.5 db
63.0 hz: + 1.5 db
80.0 hz: + 1.5 db

100.0 hz: +2.0 db
125.0 hz: +0.5 db
160.0 hz: -0.5 db
200.0 hz: -0.5 db
250.0 hz: +0.5 db
315.0 hz: -0.5 db
400.0 hz: +0.0 db
500.0 hz: -0.5 db
630.0 hz: +0.0 db
800.0 hz: +0.0 db

1.00 khz: +0.0 db
1.25 khz: +0.0 db
1.60 khz: -0.5 db
2.00 khz: -1.5 db
2.50 khz: -1.5 db
3.15 khz: -1.5 db
4.00 khz: -2.0 db
5.00 khz: -2.0 db
6.30 khz: -2.0 db
8.00 khz: -2.0 db
10.0 khz: -1.0 db
12.5 khz: +0.5 db
16.0 khz: +0.0 db
20.0 khz: +1.0 db

2) A month ago I had no problem calibrating my system with stand alone subwoofers. The settings chosen by the AVR's auto setup routine made sense, measured accurately, and sounded right.

Even now, the settings chosen by Audyssey and a manual SPL meter reading MATCH each other. They're is some kind of disconnect between the test tones and an actual movie soundtrack. Telling me to just set it by ear isn't an acceptable solution in my opinion. If you google the top 10 home theater mistakes EVERY LIST will have "setting your channels by ear or not setting channel levels at all" will be on every list.

Is this a common problem people have? Is there something with the way the Triton crossovers work that foil the test tones?
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Imahawki,

Can you break down all of your receiver settings for us? Also, any pics would be helpful. You indicated frequency response issues with your previous speakers as well. What were the issues there? Is the ceiling in your basement open or finished? I was getting some horrible modes when my rafters were uninsulated. Sorry your setup is giving you grief.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I've tried several different things so I can list them all out but first a little background. The basement is finished and the ceiling is drywall. Speakers are out into the room about 30" minimum from the side and front walls. Main left and right are about 10 - 12 feet from me and about 10-12 feet apart. The gain on the Tritons is currently set at about 11 for 2ch listening. I could honestly go to 12 as a matter of preference but probably not lower. Unfortunately that actually would make the LFE problem for HT worse.

I really do need to emphasize that calibrating my home theater, including LFE, before was NEVER a problem. Audyssey always produced very good sounding results and the channel trims were always LOGICAL given the layout of my room. Something different is going on here.

When I run Audyssey now, it sets my front three speakers to about -4dB give or take a dB. It sets the surrounds to about -4 to -1.5dB depending on which speaker. These settings are logical given the distances. Finally when the LFE tone plays it is extremely hot. The AVR is currently trying to set the trim to -15dB which is the maximum trim. When I measure with my SPL meters, these settings match (that is, the speakers are all level matched when manually measuring. The imbalance in the LFE shows on SPL meter as well).

My receiver sets all speaker crossovers to either 40hz or 50hz depending. I've tried a few things. 1) I've left the crossovers where the AVR sets them, 2) I've set them all to 80hz, and 3) I've set the Triton's to full range and left the rest at the 40-50hz range.

It generally sounds the best with option 3 but the common factor is the bass is extremely weak with all three. If I go in and bump up the LFE a LARGE amount like 10dB it sounds pretty dang good. I realize I could just walk away and say OK, that works. But it doesn't make any sense. Why would the LFE need to be set to a level that so clearly measures wrong in order to sound right.

Honestly it makes me nervous there's something wrong with the speakers. Is the bass section wired out of phase in one of them, etc.

Maybe its just my AVR. While I appreciate the help trying to solve MY problem, part of me is curious if anyone else has run into the same problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Imahawki,

We may have similar issues. My Audessey wants to set my LFE at -15 as well. Humor me and set yours up the same as mine. Put away the meter and turn the gain up on the T1s to the 13:00 position and your LFE to around -11 and see how it sounds to your ears. Trust your instincts. Use the force, Luke.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member
One more piece of information that might be relevant. On Onkyo receivers the first step when you run Audyssey is to set the gain on your sub until the calibration mic reads 75dB. Once you do that then you start the calibration routine. With my gains set to MINIMUM the reading is still 83dB. I literally can't get the gains down low enough. This is insane considering with speaker level inputs the bass section is balanced with the gains set to 11 o'clock. Something must be mismatched between the LFE input and the speaker level input. Am I the ONLY person having this problem?

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Yes, you are the only person. We have done this exact same setup at trade shows using various receivers and pre/pros without issue. And yes, the meter, by your measurements, is down 7.5 dB just like we said. What is it you think you are getting the "run around" about? Everyone here seems to have tried to be helpful, the only angry one appears to be you. Please keep things in a positive tone on this forum. otherwise you are probably better off with local support or support from the receiver manufacturer.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back