file High LFE levels

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
imahawki Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Hi, I tried to start a similar topic before seeing this one. I'm not sure if that topic is under moderation or if it got deleted somehow because I can't find it. Any way, I ran into a similar issue when setting up my Triton 1s. When the gain on the T1 amps are set correctly so that they speaker is properly blended with speaker level inputs only, it is WAY too hot when sent and LFE signal.

Due to my listening habits I need my setup to work like T Cobe. I need to have the Tritons balanced when using speaker inputs only because I listen to music in pure/direct mode which disables the LFE outputs***. However, based on my Audyssey measurements, the LFE level is 18dB too high. My problem comes in that I can only cut the LFE channel by 15dB on my AVR. That's all the further it will go. In addition, Audyssey explicitly recommends not maxing out the cut or boost for any channel as it screws up the room correction EQ.

So I'm a bit stuck. If I lower the gain, on the speakers, the bass will be too low when listening to music. While the 3dB difference between -15 and -18 isn't that great according to Audyssey it may be screwing up the EQ on the LFE channel which is probably the channel that needs EQed the worst. Given my reading of this thread, I take it T Cobe doesn't have the exact same problem since he only needs to set his LFE to -9dB on his AVR and he has his gains set even higher (mine are at 12 o'clock his are at 13:30).

I guess I could tell the AVR I have no subs and let it route the LFE to the Tritons through the L/R channels. However I've read on this very forum that it seems some AVRs pull back the LFE when this setup is used (probably worried about sending a full LFE channel to speakers that people think are full range and they're not really and damaging them).

***In addition one of my future purchase plans is an integrated amp with HT Bypass for stereo listening so again, I REALLY need the gain set to balance the Tritons with speaker level connections only.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Imahawki,

First and foremost, ditch the Audessey reading and pick up a cheap SPL meter from Radio Shack or on-line. Audessey did not work well fo me at all. It had my subs set at nearly -15 dB on my receiver as well. You'll be better off taking the readings with your own meter, or at least that worked better for me.

In my set up, I like a little extra LFE so I am about 5 dB high on my receiver's test/calibration tone. Do you feel you have adequate LFE at -15 dB on your receiver? Mine was weak based on Audessey XT32 results. If your ear is telling you that the EQ setting is good, then I would say it's another issue.

The bass signal through the LFE is definitely amplified higher than the speaker level inputs by my and most others' accounts. It's possible that you have some room modes going on when reproducing LFE. Some room correction may be needed to tame these results. From your other posts, it seems like you've identified a need for some acoustic treatments.

Another option is to set your crossover frequency to 100Hz and run all frequencies below that through your LFE inputs on your T1s. Art Daniels does this as he finds the bass more appealing. If you turn the gain know down and adjust your levels using a sound meter, you may be able to get your settings dialed in between the 9:00 and 10:00 position on the gain knob. I found the kids and highs may have been a little more clear with this method but the bass was not as tonally accurate. That could easily be attributed to my receiver.

The great thing about the powered Tritons is that you have a lot of flexibility. Learn to trust your ear and play with manual settings. I ultimately decided that Audessey was more harmful to my sound than helpful and I don't use it. Be patient and you will be rewarded. You'll get things dialed in and it will sound great! It may be when you add the integrated amp. My setup improved dramatically when I ditched my receiver's internal amplifier in favor of my Emotiva monoblocks. Please keep us posted on your progress. If you are willing, please post some pics as well.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member

First and foremost, ditch the Audyssey reading and pick up a cheap SPL meter from Radio Shack or on-line. Audessey did not work well fo me at all. It had my subs set at nearly -15 dB on my receiver as well. You'll be better off taking the readings with your own meter, or at least that worked better for me.

I own an SPL meter and it actually confirms Audyssey's readings. After I run Audyssey if I go to the manual adjustment area in my AVR it confirms that the 7 speakers are all right around 75dB and the sub is a little hotter (around 78dB I think) confirming that the AVR has run out of room to cut the LFE channel.

In my set up, I like a little extra LFE so I am about 5 dB high on my receiver's test/calibration tone. Do you feel you have adequate LFE at -15 dB on your receiver? Mine was weak based on Audessey XT32 results. If your ear is telling you that the EQ setting is good, then I would say it's another issue.

Actually no. Which is odd considering even after double confirming the LFE channel is hot, I feel like the bass is lacking compared to my old setup.

Another option is to set your crossover frequency to 100Hz and run all frequencies below that through your LFE inputs on your T1s. Art Daniels does this as he finds the bass more appealing. If you turn the gain know down and adjust your levels using a sound meter, you may be able to get your settings dialed in between the 9:00 and 10:00 position on the gain knob. I found the kids and highs may have been a little more clear with this method but the bass was not as tonally accurate. That could easily be attributed to my receiver.

This is NOT an option because I run the T1s full range with no bass management for stereo. The gains MUST be set to the right level so the speakers are balanced 20-20kHz (give or take) when run with no processing.

I'll keep playing, the speakers aren't even broken in yet. I really need the setup I've described to work though. I think I've mentioned I plan to purchase a stereo integrated amp for music in the future so the the gains MUST MUST MUST be set to balance the speaker top to bottom for stereo music. I can't set the gains and rely on the AVR to fix the issue or it will sound like crap with music.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 10 months ago

imahawki wrote: Hi, I tried to start a similar topic before seeing this one.

Yes, "Show off your system" posts require approval. Since you re-posted here, we have removed the other post.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 10 months ago

T Cobe wrote: Imahawki,

First and foremost, ditch the Audessey reading and pick up a cheap SPL meter from Radio Shack or on-line. Audessey did not work well fo me at all. It had my subs set at nearly -15 dB on my receiver as well. You'll be better off taking the readings with your own meter, or at least that worked better for me.

Agreed, we strongly recommend you try Audyssey only after doing a manual setup, dialing things in and then breaking the system in, and then only if you feel something is lacking - otherwise you have no way of knowing if Audyssey helped or hurt. Also, your comment that the LFE bass SOUNDS weak is an indication that Audyssey got it wrong. Based on feedback and experience, we'd say 90% of the time Audyssey is NOT helpful (probably closer to 99%, but we're trying to be nice). Best to undo that and start over.

In fairness, the pro version of Audyssey is much better and much more likely to yield some improvement.

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I'll turn off Audyssey and redo the level calibration tonight. Its just odd that it never caused a problem before. Maybe its just a quirk with speakers with built in subs.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back